Coffee search ended

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
Post Reply
User avatar
qrayjack
Posts: 6735
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:17 pm

Coffee search ended

Post by qrayjack » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:24 pm

We had a coffee thread somewhere by I can't find it. I've looked far & wide for a coffee that suits me and finally found it. I tried all the Wal Mart brands, Dunkin, Community, etc & worked down to the Great Value store brand Columbian. That's it for me.

I realize this is not earth-shattering information, but between praying for the McCain Extravaganza Wellstone Memorial Elaborate Overblown Funeral (do presidents get this kind of send off?) to end and getting ready to mow the yard, I thought I'd throw in the thing about the coffee. Yes I've tried other Columbians including grinding the beans and don't know what the difference is but there you are.

One other observation about McCain, he wanted to be adored by the media. In the end he was.

User avatar
qrayjack
Posts: 6735
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:17 pm

Re: Coffee search ended

Post by qrayjack » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:17 am

Isn’t that the way of it? You finally find manna & nobody knows what the hell it is.

User avatar
falvegas
Posts: 8143
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:14 am

Re: Coffee search ended

Post by falvegas » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:57 am

I WENT THROUGH WHAT YOU'RE GOING THROUGH, and I inhale Coffee....3 or 4 full size cups per day.
After many years of trial and error, I found that the Coffee Beans stored in Bulk [bins of barrels] are the best (where I live anyway). Most reasonably Priced are in 1 or 2 Supermarkets, but the best are in the Organic Food Markets I go to, Two especially, one called Sprouts the other Trader Joe's, and (very rarely) Whole Foods.

At Sprouts I can get coffee on sale for $7/lb normally $9/lb. Some stores go up to $11 to $12 per lb.....not necessary.

I keep Columbia Supremo (my personal favorite) and by far the very best is from Trader Joe's. But I also keep French Roast stored because My Daughter and my Son-In-Law each prefer that Roast, and I enjoy it with them. Sprouts carries about 2 Dozen Bins of Coffee Beans as well as Organic (I can't tell the difference).

User avatar
Flyingcloud
Posts: 2901
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:03 pm

Re: Coffee search ended

Post by Flyingcloud » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:31 am

iamlookingup wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:34 pm
The Food Lion brand is good, too. It's a fraction of the cost of other coffee.

The best tasting coffee I've ever had was at a seminar event. I couldn't believe how wonderful it tasted, but no one serving
it knew what kind it was. :/
Years ago in Montana a sheet metal shop I worked at got the job of making custom service carts for a convention caterer which handled many conventions and seminar events across the state and at the two national parks.

The coffee and soda carts had a secret flavor hidden below the top where the brewing machine sat. It carried 30 gallons of mountain spring water. Really good tasting water that company had hauled in by the tanker load, which they stored in stainless steel tanks at their office/warehouse.

User avatar
Flyingcloud
Posts: 2901
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:03 pm

Re: Coffee search ended

Post by Flyingcloud » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:52 am

iamlookingup wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:07 am
Flyingcloud wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:31 am
iamlookingup wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:34 pm
The Food Lion brand is good, too. It's a fraction of the cost of other coffee.

The best tasting coffee I've ever had was at a seminar event. I couldn't believe how wonderful it tasted, but no one serving
it knew what kind it was. :/
Years ago in Montana a sheet metal shop I worked at got the job of making custom service carts for a convention caterer which handled many conventions and seminar events across the state and at the two national parks.

The coffee and soda carts had a secret flavor hidden below the top where the brewing machine sat. It carried 30 gallons of mountain spring water. Really good tasting water that company had hauled in by the tanker load, which they stored in stainless steel tanks at their office/warehouse.
:hmm: Interesting..

Well the coffee at work sucks because the kids making it make it too strong. Like sludge.
I don't like it that way either. I wonder if that isn't something that comes and goes as generations pass. As I understand it cowboys in the late 1880's liked to make it so strong iron horseshoes wouldn't float in it.

User avatar
falvegas
Posts: 8143
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:14 am

Re: Coffee search ended

Post by falvegas » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:48 am

No such thing as strong Coffee, just weak People.

If the spoon don't stand up in it, it's nothing but Dish Water. :teehee:

User avatar
Fatherducque
Posts: 22018
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:26 pm
Location: Je suis Charlie
Contact:

Re: Coffee search ended

Post by Fatherducque » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:50 am

As for the old Coffee ! thread : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=212

I sample coffee all over the world and have had some amazing cups. What I finally realized was that all the best ones were ground immediately before either a pour over brew, or an espresso brew.

As for beans....the Community Coffee Company "dark roast" produces the uniformly best cups for me.

Kermit
Posts: 3194
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:01 pm
Location: va

Re: Coffee search ended

Post by Kermit » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:05 am

Fatherducque wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:50 am
As for the old Coffee ! thread : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=212

I sample coffee all over the world and have had some amazing cups. What I finally realized was that all the best ones were ground immediately before either a pour over brew, or an espresso brew.

As for beans....the Community Coffee Company "dark roast" produces the uniformly best cups for me.
For years I ground my own beans, just a lil' at a time, enough for a pot. Dunkin' Donuts used to sell beans. That was good. Now they just sell grounds and it's very week.
Currently, I use a keurig. Private select breakfast blend from Kroger.

One fun time me and the oldest had with coffee....We went camping. I bought a stainless percolator pot designed for cooking over fire. Went to the specialty grocery around here, and had my beans ground very coarse. The kid was about 12 at the time. I let her decide how much to put in. We had to toss the first pot, but nailed the next one. The coffee was wonderful, but then again, it was a cool morning, and we were camping.

User avatar
harry12
Posts: 1814
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:39 pm
Location: Some where in Virginia

Re: Coffee search ended

Post by harry12 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:59 am

Kermit wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:05 am
Fatherducque wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:50 am
As for the old Coffee ! thread : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=212

I sample coffee all over the world and have had some amazing cups. What I finally realized was that all the best ones were ground immediately before either a pour over brew, or an espresso brew.

As for beans....the Community Coffee Company "dark roast" produces the uniformly best cups for me.
For years I ground my own beans, just a lil' at a time, enough for a pot. Dunkin' Donuts used to sell beans. That was good. Now they just sell grounds and it's very week.
Currently, I use a keurig. Private select breakfast blend from Kroger.

One fun time me and the oldest had with coffee....We went camping. I bought a stainless percolator pot designed for cooking over fire. Went to the specialty grocery around here, and had my beans ground very coarse. The kid was about 12 at the time. I let her decide how much to put in. We had to toss the first pot, but nailed the next one. The coffee was wonderful, but then again, it was a cool morning, and we were camping.
I have tested coffee's for years now, early in the 60's I encountered Folgers while staying in California, zokay. At home in VA it was
always Maxwell House. We used to grind the local grocery stores Colombian bean, it was good, but it went away. Today we drip
one pot in the morning, Folgers Colombian during the week, and Sumatra on the weekends. For the rest of the day, I do Sumatra
with my Keurig. (decaf Folgers Colombian in the evenings).

User avatar
Fatherducque
Posts: 22018
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:26 pm
Location: Je suis Charlie
Contact:

Re: Coffee search ended

Post by Fatherducque » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:31 am

Kermit wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:05 am
Fatherducque wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:50 am
As for the old Coffee ! thread : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=212

I sample coffee all over the world and have had some amazing cups. What I finally realized was that all the best ones were ground immediately before either a pour over brew, or an espresso brew.

As for beans....the Community Coffee Company "dark roast" produces the uniformly best cups for me.
For years I ground my own beans, just a lil' at a time, enough for a pot. Dunkin' Donuts used to sell beans. That was good. Now they just sell grounds and it's very week.
Currently, I use a keurig. Private select breakfast blend from Kroger.

One fun time me and the oldest had with coffee....We went camping. I bought a stainless percolator pot designed for cooking over fire. Went to the specialty grocery around here, and had my beans ground very coarse. The kid was about 12 at the time. I let her decide how much to put in. We had to toss the first pot, but nailed the next one. The coffee was wonderful, but then again, it was a cool morning, and we were camping.
Great story!

User avatar
falvegas
Posts: 8143
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:14 am

Re: Coffee search ended

Post by falvegas » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:36 pm

Grind nothing but the freshest of Coffee Beans based on years of experience with the local markets...rarely Supermarkets.
My Brewer has SETTING CONTROLS of the Water Type, The Temperature, and the Flow Rate, and it Automatically Pauses to Bloom the Coffee....which at one time I had to do myself.

I don't have any complaints brewing good coffee....the beans are important, and the system brewing it.
I also have an Expresso Brewer which works pretty well, it's not an expensive one, but it does a fair job.

Kermit
Posts: 3194
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:01 pm
Location: va

Re: Coffee search ended

Post by Kermit » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:58 pm

falvegas wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:36 pm
Grind nothing but the freshest of Coffee Beans based on years of experience with the local markets...rarely Supermarkets.
My Brewer has SETTING CONTROLS of the Water Type, The Temperature, and the Flow Rate, and it Automatically Pauses to Bloom the Coffee....which at one time I had to do myself.

I don't have any complaints brewing good coffee....the beans are important, and the system brewing it.
I also have an Expresso Brewer which works pretty well, it's not an expensive one, but it does a fair job.
Geeze-o-mighty!!!!
Perhaps one day I'll get to come over and experience that world class event. :saywhat:

Kermit
Posts: 3194
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:01 pm
Location: va

Re: Coffee search ended

Post by Kermit » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:07 pm

Our local.... https://www.qualitycoffee.com/
good stuff.

User avatar
falvegas
Posts: 8143
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:14 am

Re: Coffee search ended

Post by falvegas » Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:36 pm

Kermit wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:58 pm
falvegas wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:36 pm
Grind nothing but the freshest of Coffee Beans based on years of experience with the local markets...rarely Supermarkets.
My Brewer has SETTING CONTROLS of the Water Type, The Temperature, and the Flow Rate, and it Automatically Pauses to Bloom the Coffee....which at one time I had to do myself.

I don't have any complaints brewing good coffee....the beans are important, and the system brewing it.
I also have an Expresso Brewer which works pretty well, it's not an expensive one, but it does a fair job.
Geeze-o-mighty!!!!
Perhaps one day I'll get to come over and experience that world class event. :saywhat:
Nothin ta watch. Well, after about 30 Seconds there's a 'Pause' and a 'Puff of Steam"....that's the Blooming.
I like being able to set the Flow Rate and the Temperature of the Water. Good machine...Manically Fanatic-Inspiring Breville

Post Reply