Alton Brown's Fried Chicken

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
StarryNightDave
Mentative

Alton Brown's Fried Chicken

Post by StarryNightDave » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:47 pm

This is something I think I tried just once and vowed never to do again. I just never was able to get the oil at the right temperature or something. But, I may try this recipe from Alton Brown.

Anyone have a successful recipe? (Hi Pixie! :wave: )

Ingredients

* 1 broiler/fryer chicken, cut into 8 pieces
* 2 cups low fat buttermilk
* 2 tablespoons kosher salt
* 2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
* 2 teaspoons garlic powder
* 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* Flour, for dredging
* Vegetable shortening, for frying

Directions

Place chicken pieces into a plastic container and cover with buttermilk. Cover and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours.

Melt enough shortening (over low heat) to come just 1/8-inch up the side of a 12-inch cast iron skillet or heavy fry pan. Once shortening liquefies raise heat to 325 degrees F. Do not allow oil to go over 325 degrees F.

Drain chicken in a colander. Combine salt, paprika, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. Liberally season chicken with this mixture. Dredge chicken in flour and shake off excess.

Place chicken skin side down into the pan. Put thighs in the center, and breast and legs around the edge of the pan. The oil should come half way up the pan. Cook chicken until golden brown on each side, approximately 10 to 12 minutes per side. More importantly, the internal temperature should be right around 180 degrees. (Be careful to monitor shortening temperature every few minutes.)

Drain chicken on a rack over a sheet pan. Don't drain by setting chicken directly on paper towels or brown paper bags. If you need to hold the chicken before serving, cover loosely with foil but avoid holding in a warm oven, especially if it's a gas oven.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Re: Alton Brown's Fried Chicken

Post by StarryNightDave » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:54 pm

And, something else I've never tried, but would love to - (But, there is no video for this one.)

Ingredients

* 2 pounds beef bottom round, trimmed of excess fat
* 2 teaspoons kosher salt
* 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 3 whole eggs, beaten
* 1/4 cup vegetable oil
* 2 cups chicken broth
* 1/2 cup whole milk
* 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves

Directions

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.

Cut the meat with the grain into 1/2-inch thick slices. Season each piece on both sides with the salt and pepper. Place the flour into a pie pan. Place the eggs into a separate pie pan. Dredge the meat on both sides in the flour. Tenderize the meat, using a needling device, until each slice is 1/4-inch thick. Once tenderized, dredge the meat again in the flour, followed by the egg and finally in the flour again. Repeat with all the pieces of meat. Place the meat onto a plate and allow it to sit for 10 to 15 minutes before cooking.

Place enough of the vegetable oil to cover the bottom of a 12-inch slope-sided skillet and set over medium-high heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the meat in batches, being careful not to overcrowd the pan. Cook each piece on both sides until golden brown, approximately 4 minutes per side. Remove the steaks to a wire rack set in a half sheet pan and place into the oven. Repeat until all of the meat is browned.

Add the remaining vegetable oil, or at least 1 tablespoon, to the pan. Whisk in 3 tablespoons of the flour left over from the dredging. Add the chicken broth and deglaze the pan. Whisk until the gravy comes to a boil and begins to thicken. Add the milk and thyme and whisk until the gravy coats the back of a spoon, approximately 5 to 10 minutes. Season to taste, with more salt and pepper, if needed. Serve the gravy over the steaks.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:11 pm

The best fried chicken I have made was Paula Dean's. I had it at her restaurant in Savannah and it was tasty. So I tried it myself and it was good!

Ingredients

* 3 eggs
* 1/3 cup water
* About 1 cup hot red pepper sauce (recommended: Texas Pete)
* 2 cups self-rising flour
* 1 teaspoon pepper
* House seasoning, recipe follows
* 1 (1 to 2 1/2-pound) chicken, cut into pieces
* Oil, for frying, preferably peanut oil

Directions

In a medium size bowl, beat the eggs with the water. Add enough hot sauce so the egg mixture is bright orange. In another bowl, combine the flour and pepper. Season the chicken with the house seasoning. Dip the seasoned chicken in the egg, and then coat well in the flour mixture.

Heat the oil to 350 degrees F in a deep pot. Do not fill the pot more than 1/2 full with oil.

Fry the chicken in the oil until brown and crisp. Dark meat takes longer then white meat. It should take dark meat about 13 to 14 minutes, white meat around 8 to 10 minutes.

House Seasoning:

* 1 cup salt
* 1/4 cup black pepper
* 1/4 cup garlic powder

Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:08 pm

:lolh: :wave: Dave!

My mom made the best fried chicken in the world and she tested the oil by dropping a sprinkle of flour in the oil. If it sizzled up... it was ready!

She marinated the chicken in buttermilk for 20 or 30 minutes then dipped it in a mixture of flour, salt and pepper and fried it up in her 30 year old cast iron skillet... my sister has the skillet now!

I will watch the video to see what Alton says! :lolh:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:16 pm

My mom never used shortening she always used Mazola Corn Oil????

It was a very good video. He soaks his chicken in buttermilk overnight... I am sure my mom never soaked hers for any longer than a half an hour????

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:17 pm

tattulip wrote:The best fried chicken I have made was Paula Dean's. I had it at her restaurant in Savannah and it was tasty. So I tried it myself and it was good!

Ingredients

* 3 eggs
* 1/3 cup water
* About 1 cup hot red pepper sauce (recommended: Texas Pete)
* 2 cups self-rising flour
* 1 teaspoon pepper
* House seasoning, recipe follows
* 1 (1 to 2 1/2-pound) chicken, cut into pieces
* Oil, for frying, preferably peanut oil

Directions

In a medium size bowl, beat the eggs with the water. Add enough hot sauce so the egg mixture is bright orange. In another bowl, combine the flour and pepper. Season the chicken with the house seasoning. Dip the seasoned chicken in the egg, and then coat well in the flour mixture.

Heat the oil to 350 degrees F in a deep pot. Do not fill the pot more than 1/2 full with oil.

Fry the chicken in the oil until brown and crisp. Dark meat takes longer then white meat. It should take dark meat about 13 to 14 minutes, white meat around 8 to 10 minutes.

House Seasoning:

* 1 cup salt
* 1/4 cup black pepper
* 1/4 cup garlic powder

Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
I have never been disappointed in any of Paula Deen's recipes... I have been disappointed in a few of Alton's!

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:18 pm

StarryNightDave wrote:And, something else I've never tried, but would love to - (But, there is no video for this one.)

Ingredients

* 2 pounds beef bottom round, trimmed of excess fat
* 2 teaspoons kosher salt
* 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 3 whole eggs, beaten
* 1/4 cup vegetable oil
* 2 cups chicken broth
* 1/2 cup whole milk
* 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves

Directions

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.

Cut the meat with the grain into 1/2-inch thick slices. Season each piece on both sides with the salt and pepper. Place the flour into a pie pan. Place the eggs into a separate pie pan. Dredge the meat on both sides in the flour. Tenderize the meat, using a needling device, until each slice is 1/4-inch thick. Once tenderized, dredge the meat again in the flour, followed by the egg and finally in the flour again. Repeat with all the pieces of meat. Place the meat onto a plate and allow it to sit for 10 to 15 minutes before cooking.

Place enough of the vegetable oil to cover the bottom of a 12-inch slope-sided skillet and set over medium-high heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the meat in batches, being careful not to overcrowd the pan. Cook each piece on both sides until golden brown, approximately 4 minutes per side. Remove the steaks to a wire rack set in a half sheet pan and place into the oven. Repeat until all of the meat is browned.

Add the remaining vegetable oil, or at least 1 tablespoon, to the pan. Whisk in 3 tablespoons of the flour left over from the dredging. Add the chicken broth and deglaze the pan. Whisk until the gravy comes to a boil and begins to thicken. Add the milk and thyme and whisk until the gravy coats the back of a spoon, approximately 5 to 10 minutes. Season to taste, with more salt and pepper, if needed. Serve the gravy over the steaks.

I have never tried chicken fried steak. Let me know what you think!

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:09 am

I have made Chicken Fried Steak many times. My ex-husband used to love it.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:31 pm

Love chicken fried steak...but my wasteline doesn't. And Biscuits and Gravy...these things only a few times a year.

BUT Alton Brown I've always appreciated, because he does his homework, focuses on one recipe and is 'Precise'.

But Fried Chicken, a dish I've yet to perfect, however my sister has, and she marinates it in Buttermilk.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:13 pm

falvegas wrote:Love chicken fried steak...but my wasteline doesn't. And Biscuits and Gravy...these things only a few times a year.

BUT Alton Brown I've always appreciated, because he does his homework, focuses on one recipe and is 'Precise'.

But Fried Chicken, a dish I've yet to perfect, however my sister has, and she marinates it in Buttermilk.
He talks about the buttermilk in the video and says that the acids in the buttermilk work on the meat. I'm going to try this recipe this weekend.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:41 pm

Hey, look over there . . .

:tiptoe:

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:30 pm

iamlookingup wrote:
abbi wrote:I have made Chicken Fried Steak many times. My ex-husband used to love it.
:hmm: I think Blanche Taylor Moore substituted ant poison for flour when she fried chicken for HER husbands. :lol:
Yeah but I bet it was crispy. :mrgreen:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:50 pm

:lolh:

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:08 am

iamlookingup wrote:
abbi wrote:I have made Chicken Fried Steak many times. My ex-husband used to love it.
:hmm: I think Blanche Taylor Moore substituted ant poison for flour when she fried chicken for HER husbands. :lol:
:laugh: I always used to tell him that if I wanted to kill him it would be delicious :twisted: :laugh:

Oh, don't worry, he's still alive. He's driving some other woman crazy now.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:03 pm

Women can be so totally dangerous................

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:08 pm

falvegas wrote:Women can be so totally dangerous................
:twisted: :flirt: :flirt:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:41 pm

iamlookingup wrote:
falvegas wrote:Women can be so totally dangerous................
:cool: That's when we're the most fun. ;)
With Fun like that, who needs enemies? :lolh:

College Boy
You can call me College Professor Boy
Location: Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun, or the rain.

Post by College Boy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:06 pm

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:07 am

iamlookingup wrote:
StarryNightDave wrote:Hey, look over there . . .

:tiptoe:
:hmm: Oh, right. :thumbsup:

WHAT...........TIME.............IS.................DINNER?

Is that better? :lol:
Hey :lol: I'm really getting those emails. :shakehead: :lol: