Crispy Hash Brown Waffle

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
falvegas

Crispy Hash Brown Waffle

Post by falvegas » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:05 am

Crispy Hash Brown Waffle
I make Hash Browns often but I’ve never thought of finishing them this way.
Food & Wine’s Test Kitchen, Justin Chapple provides the cooking tip [on Video].

http://www.foodandwine.com/video/mad-ge ... oking-tips

I often use the Food & Wine Magazine site for recipes. They also have a few Cooking Tip Videos from their Test Kitchen time to time, including lessons from greats like, Jacques Pépin

http://www.foodandwine.com/

LandLover

Re: Crispy Hash Brown Waffle

Post by LandLover » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:20 am

That sounds delish! But - I'm trying not to eat like that anymore.

Need some recipes that lean more to healthier stuff...

So, I'm giving you a quest - recipes for a healthy dinner that doesn't taste healthy!

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:43 pm

I hear ya, and certainly many of our members are concerned about 'Diet', however it is often for 'DIFFERENT REASONS'. Some could be for specific health reasons such as Diabetes or Heart Conditions, for many it could be Weight, others to promote muscle tone and energy, and many simply a preference such as Vegetarian.

One inescapable fact is that the human body requires a certain minimum amount of 'Nutrition and Calories and Fat' just to sustain itself in a healthy state, and that depends on a persons size/weight and lifestyle [ranging from sedentary to athletic].

What few people do is to gain a respectable 'Knowledge of Nutrition' that actually fits their person and specific condition, aside from preferences. This is crucial to maintaining one in a healthy state. A Healthy Regimen of nutrients are indeed important, PROPERLY BALANCED and it's also important to understand that the Body Burns Calories even as you sleep, and it requires Fat to build cells.

BACK TO THE POTATO:
Potato is probably one of the most misunderstood vegetables, and there isn't a hell of a lot difference between say a Zucchini and a Potato. The problem, as with most foods is, WHAT MOST PEOPLE PUT ON THEIR VEGETABLES OR COOK THEM WITH.

One medium-size potato has just 150 calories and is absolutely fat-, sodium and cholesterol free,
Amount Per 1 Potato
Calories 163 [say about 75 to 80 calories for a breakfast hash browns]
% Daily Value
Total Fat 0.2 g 0%
Saturated fat 0.1 g 0%
Polyunsaturated fat 0.1 g
Monounsaturated fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 13 mg 0%
Potassium 897 mg 25%
Total Carbohydrate 37 g 12%
Dietary fiber 4.7 g 18%
Sugar 1.7 g
Protein 4.3 g 8%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 70%
Calcium 2% Iron 9%
Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 30%
Vitamin B-12 0% Magnesium 12%

Just Personally, I care little whether you're cooking Zucchini Fritters or Potato Hash Browns, I guarantee you that I CAN MAKE THEM BOTH COME OUT WITH ~THE SAME NUTRITIONAL CONTENT, [either beneficial or unhealthy]

But the post is well taken; I can eat pretty much anything I want within reason, however there are those not that fortunate, AND I should pay more attention to that. Of course it's also helpful when other posters state their preferences and dietary limitations.

LandLover

Post by LandLover » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:48 pm

falvegas wrote: I guarantee you that I CAN MAKE THEM BOTH COME OUT WITH ~THE SAME NUTRITIONAL CONTENT
Ooooh, now that is talent! :thumbsup:
falvegas wrote:But the post is well taken; I can eat pretty much anything I want within reason, however there are those not that fortunate
:slap:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:11 pm

LandLover wrote:
falvegas wrote: I guarantee you that I CAN MAKE THEM BOTH COME OUT WITH ~THE SAME NUTRITIONAL CONTENT
Ooooh, now that is talent! :thumbsup:
falvegas wrote:But the post is well taken; I can eat pretty much anything I want within reason, however there are those not that fortunate
:slap:

:lolh:
Personal Story;
30 years ago I was 32 Pounds overweight [not as bad as your posted picture guy]. I had a wedding to go to and couldn't get into my Tux. I spent 1-week studying the Nutrition section of the Encyclopedic Dictionary AND made Graphs of what I was eating AND what I should be eating.

I didn't change the 'volume' of food I ate, only 'what I ate', and I lost 1-pound Per Day for the next 30 days. FYI, my weight has been medically correct for my age & structure + 5 or 6 pounds for 30 years.

I will add that although I have a love for Butter, I use it sparingly; most of my cooking is with Grape Seed Oil and Olive Oil. HOWEVER IT'S IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER, all Oils, Butter and the like are 120 Calories Per Tablespoon, it's other bad actors in 'certain oils' to avoid and use any oil sparingly.

LandLover

Post by LandLover » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:05 am

Well - I have been in the gym for years. Sometimes daily, sometimes I skip a month or so. :embarrassed: BUT, my son..Mister perfect body told me once....Mom - it's all about what you put in your mouth. Quit eating junk.

So yeah. I've made a few changes this year.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:29 am

LandLover wrote:Well - I have been in the gym for years. Sometimes daily, sometimes I skip a month or so. :embarrassed: BUT, my son..Mister perfect body told me once....Mom - it's all about what you put in your mouth. Quit eating junk.

So yeah. I've made a few changes this year.
I believe your son is right.
For many, many years I ran a mile every morning before I went to work, but when I started traveling a lot, my physical condition went down hill.

What I've found is that my diet has to be compatible with my 'routine'. For example we would climb 3 or 4 times a year, typically 15,000 feet with 35 pounds on my back, and I would lose 6 to 8 pounds in one day. During those times I could consume 2000 calories a day and not gain a pound.

Can't do that now, my life is more sedentary than is use to be.
HOWEVA! I never eat junk food, ever, haven't been in a fast food joint for decades, only did that a few times when I traveled a lot.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:07 pm

LandLover wrote:That sounds delish! But - I'm trying not to eat like that anymore.

Need some recipes that lean more to healthier stuff...

So, I'm giving you a quest - recipes for a healthy dinner that doesn't taste healthy!
Vegetable with 'flavor' and I usually head to Thai food. Don't know if you like Pad Thai, but this one is super easy and mostly vegetable.

Vegetarian Pad Thai

This is a meatless Pad Thai with tender scrambled eggs or can add some crispy tofu just before serving.
by Phoebe Lapine

TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
SERVINGS: 4

* 1/2 pound dried pad Thai rice noodles (banh pho)
* 1/4 cup soy sauce
* 2 tablespoons light brown sugar [con use Honey or a substitute]
* 1 tablespoons tamarind paste (see Note)
* 1 tablespoon Sriracha or chile-garlic sauce
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
* 2 small shallots, thinly sliced
* 2 cups julienned carrots (from about 3/4 pound carrots)
* 4 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
* 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
* 1 cup bean sprouts
* 1/4 cup ground roasted peanuts
* 1 lime, cut into 8 wedges, for serving
DIRECTIONS
1. Put the noodles in a large bowl and cover with very hot water. Let soak until just pliable, about 15 minutes (or according to package directions). Drain the noodles in a colander, shaking off any excess water.
2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the soy sauce with the brown sugar, tamarind paste and Sriracha.
3. In a large nonstick wok or skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the garlic, shallots and carrots and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the noodles and scallions and stir-fry until heated through, about 2 minutes.
4. Scrape the noodles to one side of the pan and add the eggs. Cook, stirring occasionally, until nearly set, about 1 minute. Toss everything together. Add sauce and stir-fry until the noodles are evenly coated and the sauce has thickened slightly, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the pad Thai to a platter. Garnish with the bean sprouts and peanuts and serve with the lime wedges.
Notes Tamarind paste is available from Indian, Asian and Latin markets.

LandLover

Post by LandLover » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:30 pm

oh my gosh....that is right up my alley.

Love it!!!

Thanks for posting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ToddWB

Post by ToddWB » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:31 pm

See food eater here. ..and a lot of frijoles and tortillas.

Do like potatoes tho', necessary ingredient of the egg, cheese, sausage and POTATO burrito.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:12 am

ToddWB wrote:See food eater here. ..and a lot of frijoles and tortillas.

Do like potatoes tho', necessary ingredient of the egg, cheese, sausage and POTATO burrito.
Well, I'm deeply immersed into my Southwest Cuisine; Chili, Pozole, Green Chile Stew, Rellenos, Tartas, the Quesadillas ....and a wide variety of the Southwest dishes.

HOWEVER; I was born and brought up 'a New Englander', and the Fish and Shellfish are intrinsic.
Problem is getting the quality seafood one gets in Boston & New England, right off the ice on the fishing boats; the Haddock, Cod, Sea Bass, Lobsters, Clams, Oysters ....gotta make the New England Chowders, and it has to be fresh.

In the Southwest, so much of the fish is reconstituted frozen, and has an unacceptable sell-by date, but I have a few fish markets with fairly sizeable Tanks, it's acceptable but still it isn't the same.

But making Fish Tacos isn't a problem, and I make them fairly often.

My favorite Southwest Fish Dish is 'Grilled-Pecan Honey Coated Trout'.
My second favorite is Salmon with Chipotle Vinaigrette, cooked camp fire style.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:15 pm

I had lime cilantro vinaigrette the other day at a restaurant and loved it! I made it for myself last night and it was SOUR! :cry:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:55 pm

tattulip wrote:I had lime cilantro vinaigrette the other day at a restaurant and loved it! I made it for myself last night and it was SOUR! :cry:
Good with Latin dishes or Southwest. Can also make a Pesto with Cilantro ...most savory greens.

With a lot of Acid [citrus & Vinegar] it's usually good to balance the concoction with some sweetener. Depending on volume, just a few drops of Honey can balance it out.

ToddWB

Post by ToddWB » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:05 pm

falvegas wrote:

Well, I'm deeply immersed into my Southwest Cuisine; Chili, Pozole, Green Chile Stew, Rellenos, Tartas, the Quesadillas ....and a wide variety of the Southwest dishes.

HOWEVER; I was born and brought up 'a New Englander', and the Fish and Shellfish are intrinsic.
Problem is getting the quality seafood one gets in Boston & New England, right off the ice on the fishing boats; the Haddock, Cod, Sea Bass, Lobsters, Clams, Oysters ....gotta make the New England Chowders, and it has to be fresh.

In the Southwest, so much of the fish is reconstituted frozen, and has an unacceptable sell-by date, but I have a few fish markets with fairly sizeable Tanks, it's acceptable but still it isn't the same.

My favorites... beef fajitas, enchiladas verdes de pollo, and broiled chicken from the "Pollo Loco" place just across the border(perhaps the best "BBQ'd chicken ever!)

Oh! and that's 'See Food Diet" as in I see food and I eat it! LOL

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:40 pm

ToddWB wrote:
falvegas wrote:

My favorites... beef fajitas, enchiladas verdes de pollo, and broiled chicken from the "Pollo Loco" place just across the border(perhaps the best "BBQ'd chicken ever!)

Oh! and that's 'See Food Diet" as in I see food and I eat it! LOL
I often make 'Shredded Beef' and 'Shredded Pork' Burritos, and always Mexicali Style ABSOLUTELY NO FILLERS, that's why I won't get them in a restaurant. Usually I'll make a bunch of them and Freeze them.

Best Burritos are 'Burrito Enchilada Style' smothered with a rich red sauce and cilantro.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:45 pm

falvegas wrote:
tattulip wrote:I had lime cilantro vinaigrette the other day at a restaurant and loved it! I made it for myself last night and it was SOUR! :cry:
Good with Latin dishes or Southwest. Can also make a Pesto with Cilantro ...most savory greens.

With a lot of Acid [citrus & Vinegar] it's usually good to balance the concoction with some sweetener. Depending on volume, just a few drops of Honey can balance it out.
It had sugar in it but the amount was not enough I guess? Are some limes sourer then others?

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:03 pm

tattulip wrote:
falvegas wrote:

It had sugar in it but the amount was not enough I guess? Are some limes sourer then others?
Yes, they can be. One can taste a lime to see.....old cooks rule; taste, taste, then taste again.
Of course I don't know what else is in the vinaigrette; typically one will find maybe onion or shallot, some mustard, herbs, salt, pepper, sugar [maybe] and a certain amount of oil. Ensuring the ingredients are well emulsified is important

Heavy acidity can usually be balanced with some sugar/honey or even various types of Cream. But in the end, it's balance, and personally I've never known an accomplished chef who didn't mess with his/her vinaigrette till it was where they wanted it.

And as you mentioned, different components can be weaker or stronger from time to time.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:05 pm

tattulip wrote:
falvegas wrote:

Well, Tattulip, don't know what recipe you ended up concocting with the Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette so I'll pass along the two that I've used, and one that I haven't used but is pretty basic.

Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette
Ingredients
¼-Cup fresh lime juice
2-TBS Sugar or 1-TBS Honey
2-TBS Rice Wine Vinegar
2-TBS Olive Oil [most prefer a lighter Oil]
1-TBS fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1-garlic clove, minced
1-Shallot, minced
1.4-Tsp. Sea Salt
1/4-Tsp. coarse Ground Pepper
Preparation
Whisk together all ingredients until very well blended.

My Favorite Southwest Citrus/Cilantro Vinaigrette
I use this quite often for; Salads, with tossed Avocados & Tomatoes, as a Marinade, and over steamed or grilled Vegetables
Ingredients
1/3-Cup vegetable Oil (or light oil of choice)
1-TBS Annatto Seeds (Achiote) ** Optional
1-Serrano Chili, Seeded and chopped
1-Garlic Clove, minced
2-Green Onions, finely chopped
3-TBS Cilantro Leaves, fresh, chopped
1- TBS Fresh Lime Juice
1- TBS Fresh Lemon Juice
1- TBS Fresh Orange Juice
Sea Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper [or white pepper] to taste]
Directions
If Using Annatto Seeds [simmer oil & annatto seeds in small saucepan till oil is a deep orange color, about 5 min.; strain oil through sieve and reserve, let cool]
** Whisk together, Serrano, Garlic, Gr. Onions, Cilantro, all Citrus Juices, and a light dusting of Salt & Pepper.
NOTE: Can be whisked in a small bowl or, as I prefer, pulsed several times in a small food processor, to ensure a good emulsification.
** Slowly Whisk-In or Short Pulse In the cooled Oil
** Finish Salt & Pepper seasoning as reguired.
Can be refrigerated up to 2 weeks.

Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette
Martha Stewart
I've never tried this one
Ingredients
1/2 bunch cilantro, stems trimmed and discarded
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice, (about 2 limes)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Directions
Place cilantro in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. With machine running, add lime juice, then olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet

Post by tattulip » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:34 am

I used this one from Epicurius.com

INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro

I'll try yours next time. I added quite a bit of extra sugar and it was still way to sour.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:33 pm

tattulip wrote:I used this one from Epicurius.com

INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro

I'll try yours next time. I added quite a bit of extra sugar and it was still way to sour.
That must have been some Lime :lolh:
Might consider (next time) doubling the Oil and halving the Lime. Taste as you go along then get it where you want.

LandLover

Post by LandLover » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:18 pm

Is that center one (the favorite) tart? Or...describe how that tastes.

I may try it for guests.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:42 pm

LandLover wrote:Is that center one (the favorite) tart? Or...describe how that tastes.

I may try it for guests.
Well, since I cook a lot of Southwest, that one is quite Southwest.
You'll notice it has a Serrano Chili in it, so it will be mildly spicy. Of course the Serrano can be left out and use a Jalapeno, or even a small amount of Bell Pepper if one wants to water it down a bit.

The Orange Juice tends to sweeten the addition of Lemon & Lime, but one can always taste as you go along, and add the Lime slowly till you get what you want. Even a few drops of Honey can help.

Did I take the long way around the barn? :)