Spicy Chili Recipe / Chili Recipe

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spicy Chili Recipe / Chili Recipe

Post by Pixie » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:04 am

I used to have the BEST spicy chili recipe and I have lost it. It had a few "not normally found" ingredients and I cannot remember what they were. :noparty: I can't even remember where to start in order to recreate that recipe.

Therefore, I want to start afresh and everyone here has great recipes! Will you please share your chili recipes so that I can get some ideas in order to work toward recreating what was my all-time favorite chili recipe. Whether your favorite recipe is spicy or not I can glean an idea from it for mine!!!!

Thank you!!!!!!!

:pixie:

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Re: Spicy Chili Recipe / Chili Recipe

Post by StarryNightDave » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:53 pm

Interesting you should post this. I just made a batch of chili last weekend. I have a book called Chili Madness, and I use it as a reference mainly for amounts of ingredients. My wife doesn't like beans, so I leave them out.

Here is what I usually do . . .

3 lb chuck roast cubed
2 quarts beef stock
1 large onion diced
4 garlic cloves
1 large can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
2 large bell peppers (green or red)

Spices . . .
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp thyme
3 to 4 table spoons chipotle powder or chili powder, or combination - you can control the heat with how much you add. I do a combination.
2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 to 2 table spoons paprika

Optional - 1 1/2 tsp Cumin

Mix all spices in a bowl and keep handy.

Mix about 1/2 cup of flour with 1 table spoon of the spice mix. Cube the chuck roast, then dredge the cubes in the flour/spice mixture. Saute on high heat in peanut oil to brown the cubes. Add 1 table spoon of the spice mix as they are browning. When brown, remove to a bowl.

Add a little more peanut oil to the pot and saute the onion, pepper, and garlic until soft. I then mix in 1 table spoon of the spice mixture.

When the onion is soft, dump in the can of diced tomatoes. Cook until the liquid is almost gone, then add the beef cubes and any drippings back in.

I then mix in the beef stock and add the tomato paste and the rest of the spice mixture. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 2 to 3 hours, replacing the liquid with water, or more beef stock. You may not need a full 2 quarts of stock. And with chuck roast you need a good 3 hours to get the meat tender.

You can also add fresh chili peppers for additional heat.

And, of course, you should only add salt at the very end.

I like to serve this over white rice with some crusty French bread.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:50 pm

It sounds like the perfect springboard. I would add extra chiliies for spice but I love the spice mix.

:highfive: Thank you.

If I keep plugging away I will recreate my old recipe!!!!!

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:18 pm

One method my cook book has is to put 3 or 4 whole long hot chili peppers into the chili as it is cooking. Then you can remove them at the end so people don't get a bite of FIRE! You can cut slits in the sides of the chilis to let out some of the heat as they cook.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:55 pm

Ah ha! That is a brilliant idea!!!! I like that a lot.

What is the name of that cookbook?

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:38 pm

CHILI MADNESS

This is the 2nd edition. I'll have to get a copy. It says there are 130 new recipes. I don't think there was even half that many in the first book. :lol:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:50 am

Ah ha! After you said you had a chili recipe book I went on Amazon and that one came up. You know how some of the books you can preview but I couldn't preview any of the chili books.

I think I will stop in a bookstore to see if I can find it. From what I saw all 160 recipes were not just chili but some great accompaniments to go with the chili!!!! There was a great sounding cornbread recipe I think I would like to try!

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:34 am

Pixie wrote:Ah ha! After you said you had a chili recipe book I went on Amazon and that one came up. You know how some of the books you can preview but I couldn't preview any of the chili books.

I think I will stop in a bookstore to see if I can find it. From what I saw all 160 recipes were not just chili but some great accompaniments to go with the chili!!!! There was a great sounding cornbread recipe I think I would like to try!
I think I got mine at Barns and Noble years ago. Chili is pretty simple stuff really. I don't like it doctored up too much. I want to taste beef and a great chili sauce.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:48 pm

That's the key to what I am looking for... great chili sauce. I want real depth of flavor with spiciness and moderate heat.

I got a great tip on a website for spices. I have used Penzey's for years as we have a store not too far from me but I am making my list for this site and plan to order some spices at the beginning of the week.

I was going to make a batch of chili today but it's 70 degrees outside (it was 48 earlier in the week) so I guess I will wait to see what next weekend brings weather wise. :lolh:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:17 pm

Finally!!!! It's not quite as it was but it will be!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's spicy but not too hot so feel free to add more peppers, or hot sauce, if you like your chili to make you sweat! :lolh:

Pixie's My Kinda Party Chili (My favorite Jason Aldean song)

Peanut Oil
1 - 15 oz. can beef stock (I use Swanson 100% Natural no MSG)
1 - 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes (I use Hunt's)
1 - 15 oz. can hot chili beans (I use Brook's)

1 - tbs. onion powder
1 - tbs. garlic powder
4 - beef bullion cubes, crushed (I use Wyler's)
1 - tbs. cumin
3 - tbs. paprika
3 - tbs. chili powder (I use Penzey's Chili 9000)
2 - tbs. chipotle pppers, ground
1 - tbs. medium hot chili powder (I use Penzey's)
1 - tbs. dark brown sugar
2 - tbs. Mexican oregano
2 - tbs. basil
2 - tbs. thyme
1 - tbs. salt
1 - tbs. fresh black pepper. ground

3 - tbs. Worcestershire Sauce

1/2 - lb. ground beef (80/20)
1/2 - lb. ground pork

1 - large onion, diced
5 - cloves garlic, minced
1 - large red pepper, diced
1 - jalapeno pepper, diced
1 - serrano pepper, diced
4 - stalks celery, diced

Mix all spices together in small bowl, set aside.

Heat a 3- or 4-quart sauté pan over medium heat. Add peanut oil to cover bottom of the pan. Add the meat and be sure not to over-crowd the pan. When the meat has lost its raw edges, drain all the fat from the pan and add all the spices, stir to coat well and then add the garlic and the Worcestershire Sauce.

Contine to brown the meat as you realease the oils in the spices and evaporate the Worcestershire Sauce. Remove the mixture from the sauté pan and add it to a stock pot or Dutch oven.

Do not clean the pan, if necessary add more peanut oil, add all the vegetable to the sauté pan and sauté until the vegetables begin to soften... do not overcook the vegetables. The vegetables, when you serve the chili, should still have a slight crunch to them! :) Remove the vegetables from the sauté pan and add to the stock pot or Dutch oven.

Add the hot chili beans, crushed tomatoes with puree and the beef stock.

Simmer over medium heat for at least 45 minutes and up to 2 hours.

Accompaniments to the chili:

Sour Cream
Scallions or Onions, diced
Jalapenos or Serrano peppers, diced
Corn Chips or Fritos
Cornbread - sweet or real :)
Hot Sauce

and, of course, for those of you who are beer drinkers... two or three iced cold ones!!!!

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:11 pm

That sounds great! But, of course, you add the salt only at the very end - right? ;)

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:01 pm

Yes, that is what I did but when I finished the recipe it was DEFINITELY lacking salt. So, when I wrote the recipe I added it as part of the spice mix.

You make a good point, not everyone will like as much salt as I do, to hold the salt until the end... at least the first time you make the recipe.

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:10 pm

iamlookingup wrote:CY1 posted a chili recipe here a few years ago. That's the one I use. It has sundried tomatoes in it. It's very good.

Hmm, I just looked for it, and couldn't find it. I thought I posted it here to. :headscratch:

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:01 pm

iamlookingup wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
iamlookingup wrote:CY1 posted a chili recipe here a few years ago. That's the one I use. It has sundried tomatoes in it. It's very good.

Hmm, I just looked for it, and couldn't find it. I thought I posted it here to. :headscratch:
Is this your recipe? http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chili-II-2/Detail.aspx
I don't remember, it's been so long since I made it, but it might be. Since I didn't find it here, I am curious as to where you got it from. :headscratch:

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:41 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
iamlookingup wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:

Is this your recipe? http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chili-II-2/Detail.aspx
I don't remember, it's been so long since I made it, but it might be. Since I didn't find it here, I am curious as to where you got it from. :headscratch:
Okay, I found it, and yes, that is it. The reason I couldn't find it in my search is beccause I was spelling chili wrong. Anyway I grarnished it with sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, minced jalapeno peppers, and fresh cilanntro.

Here is a pic of it.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chili-II-2/Detail.aspx

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:38 am

Very nice recipe CY!!!!!

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:19 am

I have a friend who makes my favorite chili....he thickens it with dried potato flakes.....which taste terrible IMO if you make mashed potatoes with them but you can't taste them in the chili. It makes a nice chili gravy. I guess his dad got the recipe from some small restaurant many many years ago. He won't share it with me. :ialu:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:51 pm

See, I don't understand why people refuse to share recipes... it makes no sense to me.

TT, I have never seen a chili recipe using potato flakes to thicken it so, I can be of no help.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:21 pm

Pixie wrote:See, I don't understand why people refuse to share recipes... it makes no sense to me.

TT, I have never seen a chili recipe using potato flakes to thicken it so, I can be of no help.
I don't understand that either! What is the point of that? It just seems selfish and mean spirited. :grrr:

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:59 pm

tattulip wrote:
Pixie wrote:See, I don't understand why people refuse to share recipes... it makes no sense to me.

I don't understand that either! What is the point of that? It just seems selfish and mean spirited. :grrr:
I don't understand why somebody wouldn't share a recipe either. :headscratch: The only time I would not divulge a recipe was when my husband's aunt told me not to share the one his family shared with me. They wanted to keep it in the family. Since I didn't bring any recipes or cookbooks to Michigan with me, I have lost all, except the ones I posted here. :cry:

Hey, just tell him you found a recipe that's better than his, but you're not giving it out. :teehee:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:22 pm

:lolh: I like it!!!! It's just dumb. I mean, come on, it is a recipe not the formula to make an atomic bomb!!!!!

:lolh:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:49 pm

It just makes no sense to me.

Food is supposed to be shared and to bring people closer together.

It's a recipe!!!!!!! :lolh: Share it... someone might be able to add something really great to that recipe but you keep it hidden and who is it really losing????

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:25 pm

Pixie wrote:Finally!!!! It's not quite as it was but it will be!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's spicy but not too hot so feel free to add more peppers, or hot sauce, if you like your chili to make you sweat! :lolh:

Pixie's My Kinda Party Chili (My favorite Jason Aldean song)

Peanut Oil
1 - 15 oz. can beef stock (I use Swanson 100% Natural no MSG)
1 - 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes (I use Hunt's)
1 - 15 oz. can hot chili beans (I use Brook's)

1 - tbs. onion powder
1 - tbs. garlic powder
4 - beef bullion cubes, crushed (I use Wyler's)
1 - tbs. cumin
3 - tbs. paprika
3 - tbs. chili powder (I use Penzey's Chili 9000)
2 - tbs. chipotle pppers, ground
1 - tbs. medium hot chili powder (I use Penzey's)
1 - tbs. dark brown sugar
2 - tbs. Mexican oregano
2 - tbs. basil
2 - tbs. thyme
1 - tbs. salt
1 - tbs. fresh black pepper. ground

3 - tbs. Worcestershire Sauce

1/2 - lb. ground beef (80/20)
1/2 - lb. ground pork

1 - large onion, diced
5 - cloves garlic, minced
1 - large red pepper, diced
1 - jalapeno pepper, diced
1 - serrano pepper, diced
4 - stalks celery, diced

Mix all spices together in small bowl, set aside.

Heat a 3- or 4-quart sauté pan over medium heat. Add peanut oil to cover bottom of the pan. Add the meat and be sure not to over-crowd the pan. When the meat has lost its raw edges, drain all the fat from the pan and add all the spices, stir to coat well and then add the garlic and the Worcestershire Sauce.

Contine to brown the meat as you realease the oils in the spices and evaporate the Worcestershire Sauce. Remove the mixture from the sauté pan and add it to a stock pot or Dutch oven.

Do not clean the pan, if necessary add more peanut oil, add all the vegetable to the sauté pan and sauté until the vegetables begin to soften... do not overcook the vegetables. The vegetables, when you serve the chili, should still have a slight crunch to them! :) Remove the vegetables from the sauté pan and add to the stock pot or Dutch oven.

Add the hot chili beans, crushed tomatoes with puree and the beef stock.

Simmer over medium heat for at least 45 minutes and up to 2 hours.

Accompaniments to the chili:

Sour Cream
Scallions or Onions, diced
Jalapenos or Serrano peppers, diced
Corn Chips or Fritos
Cornbread - sweet or real :)
Hot Sauce

and, of course, for those of you who are beer drinkers... two or three iced cold ones!!!!
Actually, this is a pretty darn good recipe.
You've had my Chili Roja [Bowl of Red], and my Chili Verde [Green Chili] recipes before, genuine Southwest.

I have a few Suggestions for your recipe:
** No Beans, Chili doesn't have Beans...only for the Eastern Bible Thumpers :lolh:
** Use Diced Meats [not Ground, that's Eastern stuff]. Use 1/3 Pork 2/3 Beef. Use a trimmed Chuck or preferably Tri-Tip or Flank
** Chill Meats in Freezer a bit to make easy for Trimming & Dicing [~1/2 inch]. Dust the Diced Meats Lightly with ~1/4 of your Dry Seasonings and Herbs [except Salt] the night before and Refrigerate.
** Yes, Beef Stock [not bullion] is correct. Don't need Bullion, just reduce Added Stock a bit.
** Forget the Worcestershire Sauce. Add some Balsamic Vinegar or Red Wine Vinegar.
** 1 Large Onion & 5 Garlic Cloves looks about right SO 1 TBS of Garlic Powder & Onion Powder seems a bit much. Reduce to 1 Tsp. Powder OR use 6 Garlic Cloves & 1-1/2 Fresh Onions.
** Chiles look great, but I would ADD 5 or 6 Anaheim Green or New Mexico #6, Diced. Can be added near the end.
** Spices look great, suggest caution on the 'Cumin', go to half then re-season, too much Cumin can overpower even ruin Chili [Grind your own it's better].
Chipotle is a perfect addition; Don't use canned, buy whole Dry Chipotles and De-Seed then grind them to a Powder.
** Usually 7 to 8 TBS of 'Unseasoned Chili Powder' is about right. But you have 3 TBS Paprika [Smoked is Best] so you're OK.
** I'd suggest Oregano and Thyme, and omit the Basil. Mexican Oregano is stronger than native.
** Vegetables and Meats: Do this separately. Sauté all the Veggies in plenty OF healthy Oil [OR] Bacon Fat depending on your Health Preferences. DRAIN vegies AND SAVE THE OIL. When 'Seasoned' meats are done in Refrigerator, Brown them in the reserved Veggie Oils.
** ONE OF THE DOWN SIDES IN CHILI IS 'OVER STEWING' THE BEEF. When Meat is added to Dutch Oven or Stock Pot, ADD ONLY 1/3 the Veggies, Tomatoes, Stock and Spices so it's fairly thick, AND stew on Low for an Hour [it'll be a bit thick, don't burn]. Then Add another 1/3 for awhile, then Finish and complete seasonings. Last thing ya want to do is boil all the flavor out of the Meat. What you're doing is infusing flavors into the meats. It's a method I learned from C. V. Wood, Undefeated World Chili Champion. Actually a Pressure Cooker is best.

** But Ya Gotta add Monterey Jack or Ranchero Cheese and Cilantro to Accompaniments :lolh:

Another substitute for Corn Chips is Flour Tortillas. Cut them into 6 Triangles and fry in a large skillet till golden on each side [takes only a few minutes]. While still hot, Dust them 'very lightly' with a Mix of powdered Sea Salt and Coriander and serve with Chili.
Last edited by falvegas on Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:45 pm

Awww, see you always round out my rough edges! :lolh:

So, if I use Balsamic vinegar should I omit the brown sugar?

I have been hearing GREAT things about New Mexico chilies lately but I can't find them. Maybe I can find them online.

Yep, my paprika is smoked!!! I should have noted that but not everyone has smoked... I have both sweet and smoked.

I am such a basil fan I could add it to everything but I have never seen a chili recipe with basil... except mine, of course! :lolh:

I have both Turkish and Mexican oregano. I only use the Mexican in chili I use the Turkish in everything else.

I have all your chili recipes but I wanted something I could do in a couple of hours. I had a fabulous recipe in Texas... I guess it's still there. :wave:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:07 pm

Pixie wrote:Awww, see you always round out my rough edges! :lolh:

So, if I use Balsamic vinegar should I omit the brown sugar?

I have been hearing GREAT things about New Mexico chilies lately but I can't find them. Maybe I can find them online.

Yep, my paprika is smoked!!! I should have noted that but not everyone has smoked... I have both sweet and smoked.

I am such a basil fan I could add it to everything but I have never seen a chili recipe with basil... except mine, of course! :lolh:

I have both Turkish and Mexican oregano. I only use the Mexican in chili I use the Turkish in everything else.

I have all your chili recipes but I wanted something I could do in a couple of hours. I had a fabulous recipe in Texas... I guess it's still there. :wave:
Nope, 1 or 2 TBS Balsamic should be OK. Still need the Brown Sugar.
N-Mex/Anaheim Green Chiles can be bought already diced in Cans, and add em the last hour or so. Add the Juices in the beginning. They are traditional in Southwest Chili.

Basil won't damage anything, it's a preference. But if it's what you like, add Dry Basil near the last Hour or so.

Oregano is pretty much mandatory, only meant to mention that Mexican can be quite strong, almost like a Sage.

Couple of Hours??? Well, that's what it takes me for Prep, then ~3 hours simmering.
Could do all your Prep a day or two in advance, put all your spices in lil containers or jars, sauté the veggie prep etc.
Can ask the Butcher to do a Coarse Chili Grind on your Meat, that'll save a lot of time. Personally, I don't buy hamburger anymore, just don't trust it. I either have the Butcher grind it for me, or I grind on my Kitchen Aid at home.

I usually save time by Prepping in 3-Pots; All the Veggies, All the Liquids [Tomatoes, Stock etc.], and the Meats. I then finish the whole thing the next day ...that's a walk in the park.

BTW: another cool addition for serving is Chilled Avocado Wedges inserted around the inside edges of the Bowl Of Chili.

Almost forgot.....a couple TBS of shaved Dark Chocolate, last hour of cooking.

For what it's worth. :)

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:38 pm

Couple of Hours??? Well, that's what it takes me for Prep, then ~3 hours simmering.
I am amazed you can prep that in a couple of hours it would take me all day, all day. But that is why I went to work to try and create a chili recipe I could pull together and serve in two hours.

I have seen green chilies in cans, I did not realize those were New Mexico chilies. Okay, I should be able to find those.

I am not that much of a fan of Mexican Oregano, except in chili... it definitely holds its own with everything else. Otherwise, as you said it is just too strong for my taste... but, I grew up with Turkish oregano, that's a given being Greek.

I have yet to get up the nerve to put chocolate in my chili. Now, with that said, in my Chili 9000 there is chocolate shavings but not very much. I will try it but I am not sure when.

I hope you are feeling better?

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:57 pm

Pixie wrote:
I am amazed you can prep that in a couple of hours it would take me all day, all day. But that is why I went to work to try and create a chili recipe I could pull together and serve in two hours.

I have seen green chilies in cans, I did not realize those were New Mexico chilies. Okay, I should be able to find those.

I am not that much of a fan of Mexican Oregano, except in chili... it definitely holds its own with everything else. Otherwise, as you said it is just too strong for my taste... but, I grew up with Turkish oregano, that's a given being Greek.

I have yet to get up the nerve to put chocolate in my chili. Now, with that said, in my Chili 9000 there is chocolate shavings but not very much. I will try it but I am not sure when.

I hope you are feeling better?
That's why I make my Chili only about 3 times a year. The full version takes 2- days. The shortened version I have takes about 4 hours. But you can imagine what the Kids demand I make.

Chili Verde takes about 1-1/2 to 2 hours, and that is also a Favorite by just about everyone. Super easy, super quick, super delicious with Cilantro, jack Cheese and Flour Tortillas. That's primarily Pork, Green Chiles, Tomatillos, Chicken Stock, with seasoning and a bit of Jalapeno.

Of course, one can always buy a store bought Chili MIx, throw it in some Hamburger, and serve it. Guess that just isn't me.

Well thanks, I'm doing better. Took about a year to get back to my expected normal. Burden has been that my Son-In-Law left his job, went back to college, and that placed a burden on everyone else.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:40 pm

Is he working on his doctorate?

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:30 pm

Pixie wrote:Is he working on his doctorate?
Has a BS in Pharmaceutical Sciences, going for an MS

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:22 am

falvegas wrote:
Pixie wrote:Is he working on his doctorate?
Has a BS in Pharmaceutical Sciences, going for an MS
Gee, for some reason I thought he had gone beyond his BS already.

Well as tough as it may be I think in today's world it is very important for him to have AT LEAST an MS or he is going to get no further in that field than working in a store, behind a counter, HORRIBLE retail hours.

I know it is tough for them but I think, in the long run it is the right choice!!!!

:wave: