Graham pecan chews

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
Sailor Kenshin
Author of Die, Hippie Die!

Graham pecan chews

Post by Sailor Kenshin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:30 am

I freely admit I swiped this recipe off another forum, but DANG they are guuuuuud. And easy to make.

I made a one-third recipe. Used butter because I don't own margarine, and used a combo of walnuts and pecans 'cause that's what I had on hand.

Could get away with using slightly less butter. Should have chopped nuts finer.

Took everything I had not to eat every last one immediately. :mrgreen:

These pecan things are FOOL PROOF - another reason I love them so much. Here is the recipe for them if you care to try them. I can honestly say, without a doubt, these are the most perfect little things you'll ever fix..if you like pecans and graham crackers. It's a recipe from mother in law from way years past...most likely the BEST ONE ever shared.

GRAHAM CRACKER PECAN CHEWS

box of honey graham crackers

1/2 cup sugar

1 and 1/2 sticks of margarine (I used Parkay)

1 and 1/4 cups of chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Break the graham crackers into sections as noted on the crackers. Arrange them on a cookie sheet. Melt the margarine in a saucepan and then add the sugar and pecans and cook until frothy and bubbly, about 4 or 5 minutes. Drop the pecan mixture onto the graham crackers using a teaspoon Bake in oven for 10 minutes. Remove the crackers from the pan immediately to a piece of wax paper or cooling rack and allow to cool. You won't believe how good these are!!

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Re: Graham pecan chews

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:49 pm

Sailor Kenshin wrote:I freely admit I swiped this recipe off another forum, but DANG they are guuuuuud. And easy to make.

I made a one-third recipe. Used butter because I don't own margarine, and used a combo of walnuts and pecans 'cause that's what I had on hand.

Could get away with using slightly less butter. Should have chopped nuts finer.

Took everything I had not to eat every last one immediately. :mrgreen:

These pecan things are FOOL PROOF - another reason I love them so much. Here is the recipe for them if you care to try them. I can honestly say, without a doubt, these are the most perfect little things you'll ever fix..if you like pecans and graham crackers. It's a recipe from mother in law from way years past...most likely the BEST ONE ever shared.

GRAHAM CRACKER PECAN CHEWS

box of honey graham crackers

1/2 cup sugar

1 and 1/2 sticks of margarine (I used Parkay)

1 and 1/4 cups of chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Break the graham crackers into sections as noted on the crackers. Arrange them on a cookie sheet. Melt the margarine in a saucepan and then add the sugar and pecans and cook until frothy and bubbly, about 4 or 5 minutes. Drop the pecan mixture onto the graham crackers using a teaspoon Bake in oven for 10 minutes. Remove the crackers from the pan immediately to a piece of wax paper or cooling rack and allow to cool. You won't believe how good these are!!
They sound really good, but I wonder what they would taste like if you substituted brown sugar for white? I love brown sugar. :drool:

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:11 pm

Brown sugar! Yes! :yes:

And Bacon! :yes:

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:15 pm

Oh, yeah, I am sure brown sugar would be fine.... the melting of the sugar and the butter makes a caramel... brown sugar would give it a greater depth of caramel flavor. I think that's a great call!

I would use real butter. No margarine for me.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:26 pm

Pixie wrote:Oh, yeah, I am sure brown sugar would be fine.... the melting of the sugar and the butter makes a caramel... brown sugar would give it a greater depth of caramel flavor. I think that's a great call!

No worries, margarine isn't even allowed in my refrigerator. Does this make me a racist? :headscratch:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:34 pm

:lolh: If so, I am one too! :lolh:

Sailor Kenshin

Post by Sailor Kenshin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:09 pm

Great ideas. I will have to try this on Black Friday.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:53 pm

Wasn't there a video going around that showed how margarine was left out in the open and no insects would touch it! It's not a very healthy alternative if you ask me.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:02 pm

:lolh: I didn't know that. No it's not healthy. Butter is much better for you just don't eat more than a pat or two a day.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:50 pm

Pixie wrote::lolh: I didn't know that. No it's not healthy. Butter is much better for you just don't eat more than a pat or two a day.
Hey I knew a guy that would eat one pat of butter for every piece of steak he ate. His name was "Big Brad." He was a friend of my brother in laws. He swore it was true. :teehee:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:55 pm

:lolh: Oh, my gosh.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:38 am

iamlookingup wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
Pixie wrote:Oh, yeah, I am sure brown sugar would be fine.... the melting of the sugar and the butter makes a caramel... brown sugar would give it a greater depth of caramel flavor. I think that's a great call!

No worries, margarine isn't even allowed in my refrigerator. Does this make me a racist? :headscratch:
:lol:

I can't remember EVER buying margarine! My dad never ate butter after his first heart bypass surgery when he was in his sixties. His doctor told him to only eat margarine. :(

I don't use vegetable oil, either. I only use olive oil, coconut oil, and butter. I have sesame oil in my closet, but I don't think I've ever used it. :hmm:
I would only use olive oil in baking IF the recipe called for it. A regular vegetable oil is flavourless so it is ideal for most baking recipes. Olive oil has a pungent smell to it so it might affect your cake. Even with regular food sometimes olive oil is just not right, it's too heavy. You can't always substitute and expect a recipe to come out as intended.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:21 pm

iamlookingup wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
iamlookingup wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:

I can't remember EVER buying margarine! My dad never ate butter after his first heart bypass surgery when he was in his sixties. His doctor told him to only eat margarine. :(

I don't use vegetable oil, either. I only use olive oil, coconut oil, and butter. I have sesame oil in my closet, but I don't think I've ever used it. :hmm:
I would only use olive oil in baking IF the recipe called for it. A regular vegetable oil is flavourless so it is ideal for most baking recipes. Olive oil has a pungent smell to it so it might affect your cake. Even with regular food sometimes olive oil is just not right, it's too heavy. You can't always substitute and expect a recipe to come out as intended.
Oh, I would never use olive oil in a cake (eww! :lol: ), I use either butter or coconut oil.

:hmm: the last cake I baked was the pound cake, which called for butter and I also used coconut oil.
Before that, it was the pecan cake (which I overcooked :sad: ). I think I used vegetable oil for that.

I have a crappy oven, so baking around here ain't easy, even with the right ingredients. :ohwell:
You are using too many subs, and not even good ones. I always wondered why you said something that you made wasn't good. Now I know why. Before I decide to make something the first thing I do is check to see if I have all the ingredients I need. If I don't I won't make it until I do.

No wonder you thought the coconut cake was too sweet. It was the coconut oil that made it so.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:58 pm

Crappy oven? Weren't you going to get that portable oven that was so amazing? Remember there was a a mile long thread about it.

I remember :yes:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:52 pm

:lolh:

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:18 pm

StarryNightDave wrote:Crappy oven? Weren't you going to get that portable oven that was so amazing? Remember there was a a mile long thread about it.

I remember :yes:
That was me, I have a crappy oven. That's why I don't even bake anymore. But I wasn't buying it for baked goods, just regular food, so I wouldn't even have to turn my crappy oven on.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:57 pm

I'm not sure and I shouldn't speak for Dave but I think he was talking about the post three or four posts up? I think?

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:47 am

iamlookingup wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:....

No wonder you thought the coconut cake was too sweet. It was the coconut oil that made it so.
Not possible. Coconut oil is not sweet. Not at all. And I deleted the coconut flavoring that is in the original recipe. So if anything, I used LESS sweetener.

I just don't like to use shortening. I know there is a good reason to use it in recipes, but I prefer not to. :ohwell:
I have never used coconut oil, I just assumed it was sweet. Then you may have used too much sugar. I have been baking this cake for almost 40 years for parties and company, it was extremely popular, and I never heard once that it was too sweet. If it were even I wouldn't like it. Also it is very moist.

This recipe called for both butter and shortening, I am sure the originator of this recipe must have thought there was a good reason for it. Baking is more of an exact science than say spaghetti sauce. Unless you are a professional like Pixie I wouldn't be fooling with subs. I myself have been known for my baking skills since my early 30's when I took advantage of being a stay at home Mom by scouring book anfter book, and then trying the most difficult and complex recipes I could find.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:28 am

iamlookingup wrote:I probably just added too much sugar. I didn't pre-measure, and as easily distracted as I get, I wouldn't be surprised if I lost count and added too much.

The only substitute I made was the coconut oil for the shortening, because
a) I didn't have and shortening, and
b) I didn't have any coconut flavoring.

I'll get it right the next time. :ohwell:
Don't forget, it calls for cake flour. This in no way is a coconut cake, the only thing it calls for that is coconut is the 1 tsp. of coconut flavoring. Since it also calls for 2 tsp. of vanilla, you can barely taste the flavor of coconut.

Sailor Kenshin

Post by Sailor Kenshin » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:52 am

Muahahaaaaa.... :twisted:

Actually we were gonna get a portable oven, too. Would have come in handy today and tomorrow. Oh, well, that's what crock pots are for.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:15 am

I'd loved to get that oven - it's still in my Amazon Wish List but I don't know where I'd set it. I hate to clutter up my countertop (even more).

I've made this recipe (or something very similar) before only I used club crackers instead of graham crackers. I don't like graham crackers.

Sailor Kenshin

Post by Sailor Kenshin » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:00 pm

This is a very adaptible recipe...might try it with Ritz some day.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:07 pm

iamlookingup wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
iamlookingup wrote:I probably just added too much sugar. I didn't pre-measure, and as easily distracted as I get, I wouldn't be surprised if I lost count and added too much.

The only substitute I made was the coconut oil for the shortening, because
a) I didn't have and shortening, and
b) I didn't have any coconut flavoring.

I'll get it right the next time. :ohwell:
Don't forget, it calls for cake flour. This in no way is a coconut cake, the only thing it calls for that is coconut is the 1 tsp. of coconut flavoring. Since it also calls for 2 tsp. of vanilla, you can barely taste the flavor of coconut.
:hmm: I think the recipe you posted had it the other way around...1 tsp. of vanilla and 2 tsp. of coconut flavoring.

Sorry, you are right, I transposed it with the vanilla by mistake.

But one thing I did do right was use cake flour. I used Swan's Down Cake Flour. :)
Yup, that is the one I use.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:34 am

iamlookingup wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
iamlookingup wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:

Oh, I would never use olive oil in a cake (eww! :lol: ), I use either butter or coconut oil.

:hmm: the last cake I baked was the pound cake, which called for butter and I also used coconut oil.
Before that, it was the pecan cake (which I overcooked :sad: ). I think I used vegetable oil for that.

I just caught this. The Toasted Butter Pecan cake does not call for vegetable oil, it calls for butter.You said in this post that you don't use vegeatable oil, so this is very confusing.I can see why you don't like to cook or bake. Wayyy too many subs, especially in baking doesn't work.

I have a crappy oven, so baking around here ain't easy, even with the right ingredients. :ohwell:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:53 am

Sounds good, especially the Pecans, and a caramel.
Reminds me of New Orleans, you could see them making the Pralines in the big copper pots in the window.