Make sure you check out her special instructions at the bottom.
* 1/2 cup butter, softened
* 1/2 cup white sugar
* 1 egg
* 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup ground almonds
* 2 teaspoons amaretto liqueur or 1.5 tsp almond extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. In large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Beat in the egg, amaretto, and almonds. Gradually mix in the flour until well blended. Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
3. Bake 5 to 8 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cookies are lightly colored.
Here are the secrets to making this recipe good. First, you have to toast the almonds. This brings out the flavor.
I added more almonds as was recommended, but if you do I would cut back on the flour. Second, these cookies are basically pecan shortbread cookies, so like all shortbread cookies they should be rolled out, cut/stamped out, and then baked as instructed. The other reviews were right they don't spread
After reading the reviews, I altered mine. I used double the almonds (1 full cup ground). I used 2 teaspoons almond extract and 1/2 teaspoon hazelnut extract instead of amaretto (which I didn't have). The cookies are very tasty! NOTE: These cookies DO NOT SPREAD. Whatever shape they're in when you put them on the sheet is the shape they'll wind up in, so be sure it's an aesthetically pleasant shape! And that two inches apart is silly; I fit 24 cookies per sheet with great success. An excellent little cookie!
I didn't have amaretto so I used almond extract, approx 1 1/2 tsp.