For IALU

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
User avatar
ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps
Posts: 19546
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:47 am
Location: Connecticut Yankee
Contact:

Re: For IALU

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:39 pm

I wonder if it is advisable to use a cast iron pot on a glass top stove? Anybody know?

User avatar
Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 4598
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:56 pm

Re: For IALU

Post by Pixie » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:57 pm

Ooooh, good question. I don't know???? Cast iron can be put over a campfire to cook but, don't touch it! :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

They are very study almost indestructible

User avatar
Fatherducque
Posts: 21816
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:26 pm
Location: Je suis Charlie
Contact:

Re: For IALU

Post by Fatherducque » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:43 pm

iamlookingup wrote:I own a cast iron skillet, but rarely use it. I don't know "how". :dunno:

Every so often, one of the kids will pull it out of the pantry and use it to cook eggs or something, and then I stand
there and :headscratch: trying to figure out how to clean it.
If it has been seasoned, nothing much should be sticking very tightly to it. Some say that you should never use soap on cast iron, but I do. First, get yourself some steel wool pads or a copper "chore ball" scouring pad. Then wash the pan in Dawn, or equal, but don't soak it, use the scouring pad to remove all the food and retore a smooth surface. Rinse it well in hot water, towel dry, and heat on a burner to fully dry the pan.

Some folks keep a separate Cast Iron skillet for eggs, and use another for other things, because "other things" will cause the eggs to stick if the cleaning is not thorough.

Do remember one important thing about cast iron: It is ABSOLUTELY INDESTRUCTABLE (unless you melt it in a furnace or hit it with a sledge hammer.). Anything you do can be repaired by a thorough cleaning and a re-seasoning.
Last edited by Fatherducque on Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps
Posts: 19546
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:47 am
Location: Connecticut Yankee
Contact:

Re: For IALU

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:49 pm

Pixie wrote:Ooooh, good question. I don't know???? Cast iron can be put over a campfire to cook but, don't touch it! :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

They are very study almost indestructible
Yeah, the pot, but not the stove. :lol:

User avatar
Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 4598
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:56 pm

Re: For IALU

Post by Pixie » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:56 pm

That's right... I don't know ANYTHING about the new glass stove tops. It might scratch them???? Honestly, I don't know.

I would be horrible to scratch the stove top!!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
falvegas
Posts: 5468
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:14 am

Re: For IALU

Post by falvegas » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:45 pm

Pixie wrote:That's right... I don't know ANYTHING about the new glass stove tops. It might scratch them???? Honestly, I don't know.

I would be horrible to scratch the stove top!!!!!!!!!!
I remodeled my entire Kitchen 7 years ago. Gutted everything, and put in Granite Counters, Bruce hardwood floors, Hickory Cabinets, and all new appliances, everything.

The Stove Top is a ceramic top, electric. But I also put in a Dual Gas Burner for using heavy iron pots. The Ceramic Top is one surface you don't want to scratch, and they take more care than you might think. They perform very, very well but they have to be cleaned with a special cleaner more than they let you to believe.

User avatar
Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 4598
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:56 pm

Re: For IALU

Post by Pixie » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:50 pm

Your kitchen sounds beautiful!!! Yes, I openly admit that I know nothing about these new stove tops!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps
Posts: 19546
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:47 am
Location: Connecticut Yankee
Contact:

Re: For IALU

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:14 pm

falvegas wrote:
Pixie wrote:That's right... I don't know ANYTHING about the new glass stove tops. It might scratch them???? Honestly, I don't know.

I would be horrible to scratch the stove top!!!!!!!!!!
I remodeled my entire Kitchen 7 years ago. Gutted everything, and put in Granite Counters, Bruce hardwood floors, Hickory Cabinets, and all new appliances, everything.

The Stove Top is a ceramic top, electric. But I also put in a Dual Gas Burner for using heavy iron pots. The Ceramic Top is one surface you don't want to scratch, and they take more care than you might think. They perform very, very well but they have to be cleaned with a special cleaner more than they let you to believe.
Yeah, tell me about it. But I don't mind because it always looks brand new. I guess I won't be buying that pot then. :ohwell:

I had a good laugh with a girlfriend about 10 years ago. She gutted her kitchen also, and when I saw it I almost fainted. I said to her "You know I am not normally a nosy person, but I have to know how much that remodel cost." She said "I will tell you but don't tell any of our friends. It was $90k." I said "Holy crap, that is more than I paid for my condo." We did have a good laugh at that. I think it was featured in Arcitectural Digest. The funniest part of the whole story is that she hardly ever cooks. And when she does she is no Pixie or Falvegas. :lol:

My daughter and son in law are doing that now. They are doing it all by themselves. Quit an undertaking. My daughter is trying to talk him into closing his auto repair shop for a few weeks, so they can get it done faster, instead of just working on it weekends. What an inconvenience when you have no kitchen for any period of time.

User avatar
falvegas
Posts: 5468
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:14 am

Re: For IALU

Post by falvegas » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:39 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
falvegas wrote:
Pixie wrote:That's right... I don't know ANYTHING about the new glass stove tops. It might scratch them???? Honestly, I don't know.

I would be horrible to scratch the stove top!!!!!!!!!!
I remodeled my entire Kitchen 7 years ago. Gutted everything, and put in Granite Counters, Bruce hardwood floors, Hickory Cabinets, and all new appliances, everything.

The Stove Top is a ceramic top, electric. But I also put in a Dual Gas Burner for using heavy iron pots. The Ceramic Top is one surface you don't want to scratch, and they take more care than you might think. They perform very, very well but they have to be cleaned with a special cleaner more than they let you to believe.
Yeah, tell me about it. But I don't mind because it always looks brand new. I guess I won't be buying that pot then. :ohwell:

I had a good laugh with a girlfriend about 10 years ago. She gutted her kitchen also, and when I saw it I almost fainted. I said to her "You know I am not normally a nosy person, but I have to know how much that remodel cost." She said "I will tell you but don't tell any of our friends. It was $90k." I said "Holy crap, that is more than I paid for my condo." We did have a good laugh at that. I think it was featured in Arcitectural Digest. The funniest part of the whole story is that she hardly ever cooks. And when she does she is no Pixie or Falvegas. :lol:

My daughter and son in law are doing that now. They are doing it all by themselves. Quit an undertaking. My daughter is trying to talk him into closing his auto repair shop for a few weeks, so they can get it done faster, instead of just working on it weekends. What an inconvenience when you have no kitchen for any period of time.
I got 3 quotes from contractors to do my kitchen (8 years ago). The lowest was $38,000. the highest was $49,000. So I did it all myself. Everything went; floors, ceilings, cabinets, counters, appliances. I spent $6,200 on new appliances, and that was with 16% off because I paid cash. I did everything myself except the Bruce hardwood floors, and the Bull Nose for the Black Granite Counter Tops. It took me 3 months, mostly weekends but in the end I saved a bundle. $18, 000 and change.
I'll post some pictures in a few days, likely a few in here may like to see my home cooking office, I've been shooting my mouth off on all those recipes so much.

User avatar
ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps
Posts: 19546
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:47 am
Location: Connecticut Yankee
Contact:

Re: For IALU

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:11 am

falvegas wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
falvegas wrote:
Pixie wrote:That's right... I don't know ANYTHING about the new glass stove tops. It might scratch them???? Honestly, I don't know.

I would be horrible to scratch the stove top!!!!!!!!!!
I remodeled my entire Kitchen 7 years ago. Gutted everything, and put in Granite Counters, Bruce hardwood floors, Hickory Cabinets, and all new appliances, everything.

The Stove Top is a ceramic top, electric. But I also put in a Dual Gas Burner for using heavy iron pots. The Ceramic Top is one surface you don't want to scratch, and they take more care than you might think. They perform very, very well but they have to be cleaned with a special cleaner more than they let you to believe.
Yeah, tell me about it. But I don't mind because it always looks brand new. I guess I won't be buying that pot then. :ohwell:

I had a good laugh with a girlfriend about 10 years ago. She gutted her kitchen also, and when I saw it I almost fainted. I said to her "You know I am not normally a nosy person, but I have to know how much that remodel cost." She said "I will tell you but don't tell any of our friends. It was $90k." I said "Holy crap, that is more than I paid for my condo." We did have a good laugh at that. I think it was featured in Arcitectural Digest. The funniest part of the whole story is that she hardly ever cooks. And when she does she is no Pixie or Falvegas. :lol:

My daughter and son in law are doing that now. They are doing it all by themselves. Quit an undertaking. My daughter is trying to talk him into closing his auto repair shop for a few weeks, so they can get it done faster, instead of just working on it weekends. What an inconvenience when you have no kitchen for any period of time.
I got 3 quotes from contractors to do my kitchen (8 years ago). The lowest was $38,000. the highest was $49,000. So I did it all myself. Everything went; floors, ceilings, cabinets, counters, appliances. I spent $6,200 on new appliances, and that was with 16% off because I paid cash. I did everything myself except the Bruce hardwood floors, and the Bull Nose for the Black Granite Counter Tops. It took me 3 months, mostly weekends but in the end I saved a bundle. $18, 000 and change.
I'll post some pictures in a few days, likely a few in here may like to see my home cooking office, I've been shooting my mouth off on all those recipes so much.
Oh I would love to see those pics. Post away. :)

User avatar
Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 4598
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:56 pm

Re: For IALU

Post by Pixie » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:23 am

Me too! Me too! :lolh:

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

User avatar
Fatherducque
Posts: 21816
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:26 pm
Location: Je suis Charlie
Contact:

Re: For IALU

Post by Fatherducque » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:28 pm

iamlookingup wrote:
Fatherducque wrote:
iamlookingup wrote:I own a cast iron skillet, but rarely use it. I don't know "how". :dunno:

Every so often, one of the kids will pull it out of the pantry and use it to cook eggs or something, and then I stand
there and :headscratch: trying to figure out how to clean it.
If it has been seasoned, nothing much should be sticking very tightly to it. Some say that you should never use soap on cast iron, but I do. First, get yourself some steel wool pads or a copper "chore ball" scouring pad. Then wash the pan in Dawn, or equal, but don't soak it, use the scouring pad to remove all the food and retore a smooth surface. Rinse it well in hot water, towel dry, and heat on a burner to fully dry the pan.

Some folks keep a separate Cast Iron skillet for eggs, and use another for other things, because "other things" will cause the eggs to stick if the cleaning is not thorough.

Do remember one important thing about cast iron: It is ABSOLUTELY INDESTRUCTABLE (unless you melt it in a furnace or hit it with a sledge hammer.). Anything you do can be repaired by a thorough cleaning and a re-seasoning.
My new stovetop is gas, and it came with a cast iron griddle, so...I guess I need to invest in a copper chore ball scouring pad.
They have them at our Wal-mart and the Albertson's. I like copper because they don't rust like steel pads and don't injure chrome grills like stainless steel.

User avatar
DSMBaptist
Perma-Newb™
Posts: 6766
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:27 pm
Location: Destroying the New World Order and putting NEOCONS in their place!
Contact:

Re: For IALU

Post by DSMBaptist » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:58 pm

falvegas wrote:
Pixie wrote:That's right... I don't know ANYTHING about the new glass stove tops. It might scratch them???? Honestly, I don't know.

I would be horrible to scratch the stove top!!!!!!!!!!
I remodeled my entire Kitchen 7 years ago. Gutted everything, and put in Granite Counters, Bruce hardwood floors, Hickory Cabinets, and all new appliances, everything.

The Stove Top is a ceramic top, electric. But I also put in a Dual Gas Burner for using heavy iron pots. The Ceramic Top is one surface you don't want to scratch, and they take more care than you might think. They perform very, very well but they have to be cleaned with a special cleaner more than they let you to believe.
Pictures, Falvegas? :headscratch: ;)

User avatar
trailboss
Posts: 8365
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:23 pm
Location: Gilbert Az.
Contact:

Re: For IALU

Post by trailboss » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:14 am

I cook with cast iron on my glass top stove all the time, common sense will keep you from having problems.
Obviously don't drop the frying pan on the top, and don't shimmy it over the top like you are running a buffing wheel. ;)

I also scrub my cast iron with dawn and use scouring pads if needed, towel dry it and heat it up over a burner, and wipe it completely down with vegetable oil to keep it from rusting...never let it sit in water, you will end up with a rusty mess. Although the pan would still be salvageable, it will take a lot of work. One of the tricks with using cast iron is learning how to manage the heat, it takes awhile to cool down, so I use the same method for heating it up...slowly. Generally speaking, you can use a lower heat than with conventional pans, because it transfers heat better. If you heat it up on med. high, it will be smoking hot in no time and you will burn the oil.

[youtube][/youtube]

User avatar
trailboss
Posts: 8365
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:23 pm
Location: Gilbert Az.
Contact:

Re: For IALU

Post by trailboss » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:44 am

iamlookingup wrote:Thanks! :cheer:
You are welcome.


For Tortilla's and pancakes, there is no equal.

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L9OG3-Pre-S ... B00008GKDN

User avatar
DSMBaptist
Perma-Newb™
Posts: 6766
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:27 pm
Location: Destroying the New World Order and putting NEOCONS in their place!
Contact:

Re: For IALU

Post by DSMBaptist » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:05 pm

iamlookingup wrote::hmm: I don't have canola oil. Can I use olive oil? :dunno:

Most oils have a specific use...some are general use, some are not. Take a look here:
http://www.fatfreekitchen.com/cholester ... ngoil.html

User avatar
trailboss
Posts: 8365
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:23 pm
Location: Gilbert Az.
Contact:

Re: For IALU

Post by trailboss » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:09 pm

In regards to treating the pan when I finish washing it...
I generally use vegetable oil, because it's cheapest, but if olive oil is already out, I will use it.

User avatar
Fatherducque
Posts: 21816
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:26 pm
Location: Je suis Charlie
Contact:

Re: For IALU

Post by Fatherducque » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:30 pm

trailboss wrote:In regards to treating the pan when I finish washing it...
I generally use vegetable oil, because it's cheapest, but if olive oil is already out, I will use it.
I have only used ordinary vegetable (Wesson) oil and peanut oil (if that is all we have).

Make sure it is a high temperature oil...one that doesn't scorch...I only use olive oil on salads.

User avatar
sxsdoublegun
Posts: 5148
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:08 pm
Location: S.W.Tennessee

Re: For IALU

Post by sxsdoublegun » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:32 pm

I use a hard plastic scraper and hot water to clean my cast iron. And season with hot bacon grease. Basically by cooking bacon, wiping out the pan until you can't feel the grease, bake in oven at 425 deg F for an hour or two. Let cool slowly in the oven just by turning off the oven and let it cool. You season a new iron pot or pan, and an old one if rusty or you had to scrub it.

The best ones are the old antique pans from a thrift or antique store. Some are very smooth and silky, almost like teflon inside. Usually crusty on the outside.


Max

User avatar
streetsoldier
General von Nuisance
Posts: 15462
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:11 pm
Location: Flying out of the sun
Contact:

Re: For IALU

Post by streetsoldier » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:07 pm

Category: wayoveriamlookingupshead

Begin with a can opener...

User avatar
sxsdoublegun
Posts: 5148
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:08 pm
Location: S.W.Tennessee

Re: For IALU

Post by sxsdoublegun » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:13 pm

Scrape off all food residue, then wash in hot water only. Then dry in oven at 350 deg F for 30 min, what could live through that?

Then fry some bacon, eat a BLT, wipe the bacon grease almost completely off, and bake for a couple of hours about every 3ed use, or if food starts to stick.

Also, old iron pans were more polished than the new ones, so they clean easier.


Max

Post Reply