I need an experts opinion...

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

I need an experts opinion...

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:36 am

as to how to make these cheeseburgers at home. I have eaten there many times while in Connecticut, they are the best I have ever had. I have tried to make them at home, and have failed each time. :cry:

Shady Glen will not tell anybody how they are made, except that they use 4 pieces of cheese. The crispy cheese on these burgers had become so popular, that they serve just a bowl of the cheese if you prefer no hamburger. The cheese on the burger itself is melted, while the outside of the cheese is crispy and kind of ruffled all around. Lots of people eat the cheese on the outide of the bun first, before eating the burger. I imagine the grill must have to be very hot, but am not sure.

Any ideas?

Corona, you should take a drive there, well worth the hour's drive or so.

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: I need an experts opinion...

Post by Pixie » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:30 am

Personally, I have no idea unless they grill the slice of cheese directly on the grill (be sure to add plenty of oil to the grill first)for a few seconds before adding it to the burger???? Let's hope Falvegas sees this thread!

I'll see if I can find something on the Internet????

Corona
Cute, in an evil way

Post by Corona » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:08 am

OMG I'm in the Recipe forum!

Yank, you want me to take a drive to....where? What's a Shady Glen? Is that a town or a burger joint?

Heh, I just noticed that I joined CC at 4:20 pm. Dude! Heh.

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:58 am

ConsrvYank1 wrote:as to how to make these cheeseburgers at home. I have eaten there many times while in Connecticut, they are the best I have ever had. I have tried to make them at home, and have failed each time. :cry:

Shady Glen will not tell anybody how they are made, except that they use 4 pieces of cheese. The crispy cheese on these burgers had become so popular, that they serve just a bowl of the cheese if you prefer no hamburger. The cheese on the burger itself is melted, while the outside of the cheese is crispy and kind of ruffled all around. Lots of people eat the cheese on the outide of the bun first, before eating the burger. I imagine the grill must have to be very hot, but am not sure.

Any ideas?

They may shred the cheese and cook it on the grill separately. You can make cheese crisps that way, but like Pixie said make sure you have it oiled well.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:28 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:as to how to make these cheeseburgers at home. I have eaten there many times while in Connecticut, they are the best I have ever had. I have tried to make them at home, and have failed each time. :cry:

Any ideas?

OY vay, I can't believe I forgot to post this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shady_Glen

Shady Glen is a restaurant in Manchester, CT. There are 2 locations.

Now that you can see the pic, maybe it will be easier to figure a way to do it.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:49 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:

Any ideas?

ConsrvYank1!

After looking at the picture I'd say Abbi has it exactly right... they are shredding the cheese and cooking it on a well oiled grill separately before adding it to the burger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: Abbi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: ConsrvYank1!!!!!! :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:55 pm

Pixie wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:

Any ideas?

ConsrvYank1!

After looking at the picture I'd say Abbi has it exactly right... they are shredding the cheese and cooking it on a well oiled grill separately before adding it to the burger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really don't think so Pixie. They look like full pieces of cheese when it is served. Besides when I was there one day, I tried to watch them, and although I couldn't get a clear shot, I could tell the cheese was not shredded.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:20 pm

I have no idea what they're doing, haven't seen one of these burgers.
I can relate that I once had a Tuna Burger with 'Fried Cheese' on it. I do know this guy dipped the Cheese squares in a wash with a little flour then fried them. He kept these cheese singles between wax paper in the Freezer. I never looked into it further.

It's interesting, call them and ask them.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:56 pm

falvegas wrote:I have no idea what they're doing, haven't seen one of these burgers.
I can relate that I once had a Tuna Burger with 'Fried Cheese' on it. I do know this guy dipped the Cheese squares in a wash with a little flour then fried them. He kept these cheese singles between wax paper in the Freezer. I never looked into it further.

It's interesting, call them and ask them.
They have been in business for 50 years, and they will not tell this secret. Many have tried to find out, to no avail. :cry:

GoodBoy
...is a Good Boy
Location: I will Pray for Obama... Prayer triumphs over anger.

Post by GoodBoy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:59 pm

CY... wait outside the restaurant and bribe a worker.. with a baseball bat. You're a DLH after all...

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:01 pm

Their signature burger is created by laying on 4 slices of cheese so they are partly on the burger and partly directly on the grill, giving it a crispy outside.
Is it that they just put so much cheese on it that it melts over onto the grill and that part gets crispy?

I found this on the 'net.

http://www.recipezaar.com/187009
Although I was inspired by Shady Glen, I just found out the Italians have been doing this for years, and it is called "Frico".

Corona
Cute, in an evil way

Post by Corona » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:03 pm

Manchester? I ain't driving up to Manchester for a burger. :lol: I used to live there but never heard of that restaurant. My sister lived there too and she remembers it for its ice cream. (I think she was a veggie at the time.) It does look like a great cheeseburger though. I have no idea how they do it. They say they let part of the cheese overlap down onto the grill. How fast it takes I have no idea. I bet it's the last thing they do after cooking the burger. And yeah, they have big flat grills so it's easier to manage food on it. Doing that in a frying pan would be very.....interesting.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:12 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
Pixie wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:

Any ideas?

ConsrvYank1!

I really don't think so Pixie. They look like full pieces of cheese when it is served. Besides when I was there one day, I tried to watch them, and although I couldn't get a clear shot, I could tell the cheese was not shredded.
Darn, do I feel useless! :embarrassed: :lol: :embarrassed:

:noparty:

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:26 pm

tattulip wrote:
Their signature burger is created by laying on 4 slices of cheese so they are partly on the burger and partly directly on the grill, giving it a crispy outside.
Is it that they just put so much cheese on it that it melts over onto the grill and that part gets crispy?

I found this on the 'net.

http://www.recipezaar.com/187009
Although I was inspired by Shady Glen, I just found out the Italians have been doing this for years, and it is called "Frico".
Well, they do say they use 4 pieces for one burger. And the part that lays over the burger is melted, while all the outer edges are crisp. The cheese is defintely not burned. I can't imagine that is accomplished on a non-stick pan as the recipe suggests. I have nothing to lose by trying it though.

Corona, if you actually lived in Manchester, and never heard of it, you must have been in a coma. :lol: Did you ever drive to Bolton Lake to go swimming? If you did it would have been on your right hand side. Then a few decades later they built another one at the Manchester Parkade. I like the original one better. It has been there since 1948.

If you google Shady Glen you will find that many people travel hundreds of miles just to go to this place.

Corona
Cute, in an evil way

Post by Corona » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:06 pm

I worked as an asst. manager at the Wawa in Manchester for a year around 1989. In that year I was too busy working to do much of anything else.

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:12 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
Pixie wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:

Any ideas?

ConsrvYank1!

Well, when I have seen cheese made this way it looks like a whole piece of cheese when it's done because it all melts together on the grill.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:45 pm

I still believe one can 'fry' the cheese and place it on the Burger.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:24 am

falvegas wrote:I still believe one can 'fry' the cheese and place it on the Burger.
I just thought of something. If, as I found out they use 4 pieces of cheese for each burger, would it work if you did this? First, fry the burger on one side, turn it over, and then place the 4 pieces of cheese on top of the burger in such a way that most of the cheese would fall over in the edges and into the pan? I wonder what kind of fat they use too. I also wonder if the kind of cheese you use makes a difference. All I know is that it is yellow in color.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:46 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
falvegas wrote:I still believe one can 'fry' the cheese and place it on the Burger.
I just thought of something. If, as I found out they use 4 pieces of cheese for each burger, would it work if you did this? First, fry the burger on one side, turn it over, and then place the 4 pieces of cheese on top of the burger in such a way that most of the cheese would fall over in the edges and into the pan? I wonder what kind of fat they use too. I also wonder if the kind of cheese you use makes a difference. All I know is that it is yellow in color.
Yellow usually means the addition of food color, Annatto, to the cheese. It's used in a lot of American cheese incl. cheddar, and that abominations of so-called cheese; American Process Cheese Food Spread...yuk.
You may be right on the cheese but as I mentioned, I had a crispy cheese on a Tuna Burger once and the guy treated the cheese (don't remember what it was). It was taken from the refrigerator then 'fried' before setting it on top of the burger. The cheese was at least 1/4 inch thick as I recall. Don't know if it was one thick piece or several thin ones.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:34 pm

I finally found a picture of that cheeseburger. But just before I did I experimented a bit. I took a 10" stainless steel frying pan and put some vegetable oil in it. I heated up the oil and the put the burger in, and cooked it on one side. Then I turned it over and placed 4 slices of cheedar cheese over the burger so that the points of the cheese slices were at the middle of the burger, and the cheese spilled over into the pan. Well, the cheese came out more chewey than crispy. Tasted pretty good, but I still have to experiment a little more. Maybe I had the oil too hot. This is prolly not gonna be good to feed a family though, because with all the cheese you can really only put on burger in at a time.

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.ph ... Shady+glen