Ramen noodles

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
College Boy
You can call me College Professor Boy
Location: Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun, or the rain.

Ramen noodles

Post by College Boy » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:51 pm

Start with two packages of Ramen noodles. If they are not the same flavor, at least make sure they are compatible flavors like beef and pork or shrimp and beef or shrimp and pork. Boil one pot of water. It doesn't really matter how much water is in it, as long as it is enough to cover two blocks of noodles. When it is at a hard boil, put in the blocks of noodles. Hold them under water with a fork until they get bendy. Put in the flavor packets and turn off the water. Stir. Let it sit for a couple of minutes. Drain using a strainer and dump the noodles in a bowl. Eat. Makes four servings which is one meal for an adult who weighs more than ninety pounds.

-Mike

apeptlchamp
Double BS

Post by apeptlchamp » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:07 pm

Ooh, very basic, but very good nonetheless.

-----

Shrimp and beef? :shock:

9outof10

Post by 9outof10 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:34 am

Thanks for the recipe, CB. All this time, I have been making my Ramens wrong. :mrgreen:

Charybdis
I was "Tea Party" before it became fashionable

Re: Ramen noodles

Post by Charybdis » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:22 pm

college boy wrote:Start with two packages of Ramen noodles. If they are not the same flavor, at least make sure they are compatible flavors like beef and pork or shrimp and beef or shrimp and pork. Boil one pot of water. It doesn't really matter how much water is in it, as long as it is enough to cover two blocks of noodles. When it is at a hard boil, put in the blocks of noodles. Hold them under water with a fork until they get bendy. Put in the flavor packets and turn off the water. Stir. Let it sit for a couple of minutes. Drain using a strainer and dump the noodles in a bowl. Eat. Makes four servings which is one meal for an adult who weighs more than ninety pounds.

-Mike
You forgot the grated cheese.

College Boy

Post by College Boy » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:34 pm

Charybdis wrote:
college boy wrote:Start with two packages of Ramen noodles. If they are not the same flavor, at least make sure they are compatible flavors like beef and pork or shrimp and beef or shrimp and pork. Boil one pot of water. It doesn't really matter how much water is in it, as long as it is enough to cover two blocks of noodles. When it is at a hard boil, put in the blocks of noodles. Hold them under water with a fork until they get bendy. Put in the flavor packets and turn off the water. Stir. Let it sit for a couple of minutes. Drain using a strainer and dump the noodles in a bowl. Eat. Makes four servings which is one meal for an adult who weighs more than ninety pounds.
Some of us can't afford to eat that fancy.

-Mike

College Boy

Post by College Boy » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:52 pm

It is so good to be out of grad school and be able to eat real food again.

-Mike

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:08 pm

Sorry guys. there are alternatives to Ramen Noodles...those Sodium & MSG packed Bricks of dehydrated noodles that spring to life with a bit of boiling water and a pack of pure, whatever, I fail to understand.

First, MSG is off-the-charts for what I won't tolerate, under any circumstances. The Salt can be minimized with various techniques But forget-it, there are significantly more healthy alternatives that won't take but a few more minutes off your time cooking, and a few more cents from your pocket. Eat right!

Don't think I don't understand the College quest for eating as cheap as possible. I made tomato soup from katsup when I was in College.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:52 pm

iamlookingup wrote:
falvegas wrote:...Don't think I don't understand the College quest for eating as cheap as possible. I made tomato soup from katsup when I was in College.
:shock:

:puke:

Please DON'T give us that recipe! :lol:
It was a case in point, not a recipe..............

Smitty
Location: Proudly ensconced in perpetual-war-loving-Neoconville

Post by Smitty » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:16 am

falvegas wrote:Sorry guys. there are alternatives to Ramen Noodles...those Sodium & MSG packed Bricks of dehydrated noodles that spring to life with a bit of boiling water and a pack of pure, whatever, I fail to understand.

First, MSG is off-the-charts for what I won't tolerate, under any circumstances. The Salt can be minimized with various techniques But forget-it, there are significantly more healthy alternatives that won't take but a few more minutes off your time cooking, and a few more cents from your pocket. Eat right!

Don't think I don't understand the College quest for eating as cheap as possible. I made tomato soup from katsup when I was in College.
I don't know what you think you know about MSG, but you're simply wrong about it being, "off the charts." You're no doubt buying into all the myths perpepuated by the anti-MSG crowd.

http://www.ific.org/publications/review ... tamate.pdf

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:21 am

Smitty wrote:
falvegas wrote:Sorry guys. there are alternatives to Ramen Noodles...those Sodium & MSG packed Bricks of dehydrated noodles that spring to life with a bit of boiling water and a pack of pure, whatever, I fail to understand.

I don't know what you think you know about MSG, but you're simply wrong about it being, "off the charts." You're no doubt buying into all the myths perpepuated by the anti-MSG crowd.

http://www.ific.org/publications/review ... tamate.pdf
Do I need to ‘trick my tongue' into believing a certain food is high in protein and thus nutritious? BS…they do. As far as I’m concerned the School Is Still Out on MSG. 3 members of my family including myself get negative reactions from it.

MSG is simply a Salt of the Amino Acid (glutamate). DNA tells the body how to make the acid chain and in what order. Excess of naturally occurring glutamate is well known by neuroscientists to be a problem, especially patients with Type II Diabetes. MSG stimulates the pancreas to produce insulin, and some professionals are concerned with its impact on obesity.

The FDA spouting that free glutamate is as harmless as bound glutamate means what? If it was the same, they wouldn't need to hydrolyze the protein, or hydrolyze anything for that matter, even that plastic for our veins, ‘Trans Fats’. Face it, American health, Sucks.

Regardless what you believe, the body should never be compromised in its job of getting rid of excess glutamate. It is a question of balance, excess of glutamate in nerve cells cause over-stimulation.

Does it kill you? No! Are there effects on the body? Yes, in some. Can trouble begin because the body is attacking large enzymes responsible for proper processing? Each must decide for themselves. As for me, No thanks!

College Boy

Post by College Boy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:30 am

It kept the Japanese from starving after WWII.

-Mike

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:52 pm

TRUE: MSG is a most interesting substance. It is added to foods to 'Fake' the senses, but has absoslutely no nutritional value. The concerns lie in the fact that MSG is a neurotropic drug, a substance that effects the nervous system.

ToBeannounced

Post by ToBeannounced » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:28 pm

-Mike
Is "bendy" similar to "al dente" culinarily speaking?

:headscratch:

DSMBaptist
Perma-Newb™
Location: Destroying the New World Order and putting NEOCONS in their place!

Post by DSMBaptist » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:47 pm

Charybdis wrote:

-Mike
And the spaghetti or tomato sauce! :doh:

College Boy

Post by College Boy » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:51 pm

I've been ramen-free since August.

-Mike

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:21 pm

I've never had ramen noodles.

College Boy

Post by College Boy » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:39 pm

You can get a full 2,000 calories (one day's worth) of ramen noodles for about $1.40.

-Mike

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:13 pm

college boy wrote:You can get a full 2,000 calories (one day's worth) of ramen noodles for about $1.40.

-Mike

:wave: Mike!!!!!!!

I can't eat 2,000 calories in a day!!!!!!!! I'm only 5'2" and 95lbs. That's too many calories and too much salt for my body!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:28 pm

Pixie wrote:I've never had ramen noodles.
You are not missing much. :rofl:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:50 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
Pixie wrote:I've never had ramen noodles.
You are not missing much. :rofl:

:wave: :wave: :wave: CY1!!!!!!!!!!! :lolh:

I didn't think so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :embarrassed:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:06 pm

Pixie wrote:
college boy wrote:You can get a full 2,000 calories (one day's worth) of ramen noodles for about $1.40.

-Mike

I can't eat 2,000 calories in a day!!!!!!!! I'm only 5'2" and 95lbs. That's too many calories and too much salt for my body!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2000 calories is for someone who weighs about 190 to 200 pounds.
In very general terms...say you want to weigh 125 pounds, you should consume about 1250 calories a day average. If you eat less than that, your body will think you're starving it and likely store fat. If you eat much more than that (depending on your metabolism) you'll possibly gain weight. Unless you're active enough to burn it off.

2000 calories a day is more for someone 6'1" to 6' 2" and fairly big boned. But whatever you eat, make it nutritious or you're kidding yourself. MSG has 'zero' nutrition. So what may I ask is the point, precisely?

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:33 pm

falvegas wrote:
Pixie wrote:

-Mike

In very general terms...say you want to weigh 125 pounds, you should consume about 1250 calories a day average. If you eat less than that, your body will think you're starving it and likely store fat. If you eat much more than that (depending on your metabolism) you'll possibly gain weight. Unless you're active enough to burn it off.

2000 calories a day is more for someone 6'1" to 6' 2" and fairly big boned. But whatever you eat, make it nutritious or you're kidding yourself. MSG has 'zero' nutrition. So what may I ask is the point, precisely?

:wave: :wave: :wave:

Hey there, my friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm snowed in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have 12 inches of snow and it's still snowing!!!!!!!!!!!!

I baked bread today!!!!!!!!!!

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:37 pm

falvegas wrote:
Pixie wrote:

-Mike

Oh, I'm not sure?????? I think he was talking to me because I said I'd never tried ramen noodles and his reply was I could get a full day's calories for $1.40.

And then you see my reply. I can't eat that many calories or that much salt.

:wave:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:46 pm

Pixie wrote:
falvegas wrote:
Pixie wrote:

-Mike

:wave: :wave: :wave:

Hey there, my friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm snowed in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have 12 inches of snow and it's still snowing!!!!!!!!!!!!

I baked bread today!!!!!!!!!!
Now that's my kind of baking...Bread!
Now you know me with baking but I do bake a lot of my own breads, about half. Artisan breads of all types & shapes, and rolls of all types, including one of my favorite, Parker House Rolls (being originally from Boston of course).

It was 60 degrees here today, full sun, not bad. But 12 inches of snow...I'd be baking also.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:58 pm

I love Parker House Rolls!!!!!!!!!!!! They are my favorite... well, those and cresent rolls!!!!!! Well and hot cross buns!!!!!!!!!!

:lolh:

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:07 pm

I love them for breakfast.

GoodBoy
...is a Good Boy
Location: I will Pray for Obama... Prayer triumphs over anger.

Post by GoodBoy » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:47 am

I was having lots of problems with tachycardia until I eliminated the MSG from my diet. Nasty stuff for some people.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:05 am

Fatherducque wrote:I love them for breakfast.

:wave: Do you mean the Parker House Rolls?

:wave:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:06 am

GoodBoy wrote:I was having lots of problems with tachycardia until I eliminated the MSG from my diet. Nasty stuff for some people.

The amount of MSG/Sodium in ramen noodles scares the heck out of me!

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:31 am

It would be wise I believe, not to ingest Hydrolyzed anything as a trend in your diet. Trans Fats are the perfect example.

And the Feds still allow food companies to post 'Zero %' Trans Fat if it contains less than 1%. It should have been banned altogether. The relationship between the FDA and food companies is incest. Almost as bad as their oversight of the pharmaceutical industry.