Beans

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
Jarhead

Beans

Post by Jarhead » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:48 am

I made a great pot of beans this weekend.

Pinto beans, washed, soaked and drained, added onion, diced tomato, sliced jalapeno and spicy sausage with some Memphis Dry Rub while it cooked in the crock pot for 6 hours on 'auto'.

Damn I'm good. :)

Johnny 99
Formerly known as "kad"
Location: I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Re: Beans

Post by Johnny 99 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:27 pm

Jarhead wrote:I made a great pot of beans this weekend.

Pinto beans, washed, soaked and drained, added onion, diced tomato, sliced jalapeno and spicy sausage with some Memphis Dry Rub while it cooked in the crock pot for 6 hours on 'auto'.

Damn I'm good. :)
So, you gonna share, or what?

Priscilla

Post by Priscilla » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:45 pm

Sounds delicious.

Now time to prepare a pan of cornbread to enjoy with it! :) (Oh, and lots of butter for the cornbread.)

Charybdis
I was "Tea Party" before it became fashionable

Post by Charybdis » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:07 am

My dad once told me how to "de-gas" a pot of beans, but I forgot what he said. I probably figured at the time that it would take all the fun out of it.

Anybody ever hear how to do that?

GoodBoy
...is a Good Boy
Location: I will Pray for Obama... Prayer triumphs over anger.

Post by GoodBoy » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:54 am

Charybdis wrote:My dad once told me how to "de-gas" a pot of beans, but I forgot what he said. I probably figured at the time that it would take all the fun out of it.

I think you have to drain and refill them twice while they are soaking. (this one i've heard for a long time, the rest of these I read on the internet)

Some say to boil them for 2 minutes then discard the water. Others say a pinch of baking soda added while soaking. I read that pouring Sprite or other carbonated beverages over them will do it.

The beans are coated in a sugary substance we can't digest. Thats what you have to get rid of.. or eat them so much that your body grows accustomed to it.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:46 am

Charybdis wrote:My dad once told me how to "de-gas" a pot of beans, but I forgot what he said. I probably figured at the time that it would take all the fun out of it.

Use 239 or less beans. One more is too farty.

Charybdis

Post by Charybdis » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:48 am

Phaedrus wrote:

Ouch!

I felt the pain from that one all the way across the country! :lol:

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:50 am

:mrgreen:

Jarhead

Post by Jarhead » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:19 am

Phaedrus wrote:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Jarhead

Post by Jarhead » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:20 am

Priscilla wrote:Sounds delicious.

Now time to prepare a pan of cornbread to enjoy with it! :) (Oh, and lots of butter for the cornbread.)
And honey too!. God I miss good cornbread. Didn't make any due to the diet, but dang that makes my mouth water.

Priscilla

Post by Priscilla » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:56 am

There's 'Bean-o' that you can sprinkle one or two drops on 'gassy' foods before dining. I bought some to put on my DH's food, and he said 'no, I like my farts.' :angry: (But I'M the one who has to endure the pollution!!!)

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:31 pm

Does anybody have a good recipe for cornbread? I have only made it from a package and it is always dissapointing and dry.

Johnny 99
Formerly known as "kad"
Location: I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Post by Johnny 99 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:00 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:Does anybody have a good recipe for cornbread? I have only made it from a package and it is always dissapointing and dry.
Mrs. Kad has a good one. She sends Kad to Boston Market to pick it up. :lol:

Jarhead

Post by Jarhead » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:02 pm

Kad wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:Does anybody have a good recipe for cornbread? I have only made it from a package and it is always dissapointing and dry.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:26 pm

Kad wrote:
I think theirs is dry too. Maybe I just really don't like cornbread. But I know I would if it were moist. Maybe this is why I like pie rather than cake.

Charybdis

Post by Charybdis » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:21 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
Kad wrote:
I think theirs is dry too. Maybe I just really don't like cornbread. But I know I would if it were moist. Maybe this is why I like pie rather than cake.
I really like the kind that's made with whole corn in it.

crumpmd
Location: The only thing better than a sharp knife is a Scalpel.

Post by crumpmd » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:11 pm

Here is doctor dave's cornbread:

Heat the oven to 450 and put two tablespoons of oil in a 9 inch iron skillet and put it in the oven to heat up.

Beat an egg well and then put a cup of milk and a quarter cup of oil in it and mix it up a little.

In a mixing bowel put in one cup corn meal, one cup flour, one teaspoon baking powder, one half teaspoon salt and one quarter teaspoon baking soda and one tablespoon sugar. Mix it up good and pour in the liquid and mix it up good again.
Take the smokin hot skillet out of the oven and pour in the batter and stick it in the oven.
Reduce the heat to 400 and bake for 25 minutes or so. It should be golden and a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean.

Be careful. You can hurt yourself eating lots of cornbread and butter. :lol: