Coffee search ended

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
qrayjack

Coffee search ended

Post by qrayjack » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:24 pm

We had a coffee thread somewhere by I can't find it. I've looked far & wide for a coffee that suits me and finally found it. I tried all the Wal Mart brands, Dunkin, Community, etc & worked down to the Great Value store brand Columbian. That's it for me.

I realize this is not earth-shattering information, but between praying for the McCain Extravaganza Wellstone Memorial Elaborate Overblown Funeral (do presidents get this kind of send off?) to end and getting ready to mow the yard, I thought I'd throw in the thing about the coffee. Yes I've tried other Columbians including grinding the beans and don't know what the difference is but there you are.

One other observation about McCain, he wanted to be adored by the media. In the end he was.

qrayjack

Re: Coffee search ended

Post by qrayjack » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:17 am

Isn’t that the way of it? You finally find manna & nobody knows what the hell it is.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:57 am

I WENT THROUGH WHAT YOU'RE GOING THROUGH, and I inhale Coffee....3 or 4 full size cups per day.
After many years of trial and error, I found that the Coffee Beans stored in Bulk [bins of barrels] are the best (where I live anyway). Most reasonably Priced are in 1 or 2 Supermarkets, but the best are in the Organic Food Markets I go to, Two especially, one called Sprouts the other Trader Joe's, and (very rarely) Whole Foods.

At Sprouts I can get coffee on sale for $7/lb normally $9/lb. Some stores go up to $11 to $12 per lb.....not necessary.

I keep Columbia Supremo (my personal favorite) and by far the very best is from Trader Joe's. But I also keep French Roast stored because My Daughter and my Son-In-Law each prefer that Roast, and I enjoy it with them. Sprouts carries about 2 Dozen Bins of Coffee Beans as well as Organic (I can't tell the difference).

Flyingcloud

Post by Flyingcloud » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:31 am

iamlookingup wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:34 pm
The Food Lion brand is good, too. It's a fraction of the cost of other coffee.

The best tasting coffee I've ever had was at a seminar event. I couldn't believe how wonderful it tasted, but no one serving
it knew what kind it was. :/
Years ago in Montana a sheet metal shop I worked at got the job of making custom service carts for a convention caterer which handled many conventions and seminar events across the state and at the two national parks.

The coffee and soda carts had a secret flavor hidden below the top where the brewing machine sat. It carried 30 gallons of mountain spring water. Really good tasting water that company had hauled in by the tanker load, which they stored in stainless steel tanks at their office/warehouse.

Flyingcloud

Post by Flyingcloud » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:52 am

iamlookingup wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:07 am
Flyingcloud wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:31 am
iamlookingup wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:34 pm
The Food Lion brand is good, too. It's a fraction of the cost of other coffee.

The best tasting coffee I've ever had was at a seminar event. I couldn't believe how wonderful it tasted, but no one serving
it knew what kind it was. :/
Years ago in Montana a sheet metal shop I worked at got the job of making custom service carts for a convention caterer which handled many conventions and seminar events across the state and at the two national parks.

The coffee and soda carts had a secret flavor hidden below the top where the brewing machine sat. It carried 30 gallons of mountain spring water. Really good tasting water that company had hauled in by the tanker load, which they stored in stainless steel tanks at their office/warehouse.
:hmm: Interesting..

Well the coffee at work sucks because the kids making it make it too strong. Like sludge.
I don't like it that way either. I wonder if that isn't something that comes and goes as generations pass. As I understand it cowboys in the late 1880's liked to make it so strong iron horseshoes wouldn't float in it.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:48 am

No such thing as strong Coffee, just weak People.

If the spoon don't stand up in it, it's nothing but Dish Water. :teehee: