Homemade Microwave Popcorn

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
syzygy

Re: Homemade Microwave Popcorn

Post by syzygy » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:25 am

I love the All Recipes site and use it quite often.

I guess I'm what you would call a popcorn snob - no microwave corn for me.

Although, I've tried the brown paper sack microwave corn years ago with less than satisfactory results.

Years ago, I bought a Lodge cast iron saucepan, w/lid, from their outlet store in South Pittsburg, TN - their factory home town. It is my dedicated popcorn popping pot. With the cast iron thickness, I can keep it on the heat longer than the usual thin bottomed saucepans. Easy to scorch the corn if you use the thin ones, but you can get good results from one if you get it off the heat at the right time, to prevent scorching.

You really can't beat the old time tested instructions: oil enough to cover the corn; one layer of corn covering the bottom -- one layer will fill whatever size pot you use if you get a "good pop" from the corn you're using.

Never tried the kettle corn but I'd imagine you'd put some sugar in before popping, and sprinkle some on after, preferably after pouring popped corn into a bigger bowl while still hot, to get good coverage by shaking and stirring. Just my guess as to what you would do.

(Trivia: the kernels that do not pop are called "old maids". :lol: )

patentlymn

Post by patentlymn » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:39 am

FYI The microwave popcorn bags have microwave susceptors on one side to absorb the microwaves and get hot.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susceptor

Kermit

Post by Kermit » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:13 pm

I love the taste of popcorn, but after a handful, it makes me nauseous. Got no clue why. I can eat a whole can of corn, or 3 ears of corn with no problem. :headscratch:

syzygy

Post by syzygy » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:17 pm

patentlymn wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:39 am
FYI The microwave popcorn bags have microwave susceptors on one side to absorb the microwaves and get hot.
It was reported some time ago that the fumes from the artificially butter flavored variety were determined to cause lung cancer.
Fact or Myth: Diacetyl Popcorn – Could “Butter Flavoring” Pose A Health Danger?

This is a Fact.

Enjoying a bag of popcorn is a common American pastime, as evidenced by the 3 billion popcorn bags sold every year. Unfortunately, the more than $100 million dollars paid in damages to workers and consumers who have fallen ill due to lethal chemicals lurking in the snack suggests that this pastime comes with a heady health price.

The danger lies not so much in the popcorn itself, but in the delicious popcorn scent so many people love to inhale. Freshly popped popcorn actually puts off a toxic and lethal gas when heated at high temperatures. Diacetyl popcorn

According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the aromatic steam contains nearly 4-dozen chemicals – produced by everything from the buttery flavorings to the ink and glue on the bags.

One such chemical, diacetyl (an ingredient found in the butter flavoring used in microwave popcorn), is a known poison. You may have heard about this chemical, and rejoiced in 2007 when popcorn manufacturers launched a series of ad campaigns claiming that the hazardous toxin had been removed and replaced with “newer, better, safer butter substitutes.”

Several government health investigators have exposed these false claims, warning that these new butter substitutes are just as toxic as the original butter flavorings containing diacetyl.

More @:

http://undergroundhealthreporter.com/di ... n-dangers/

patentlymn

Post by patentlymn » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:11 pm

syzygy wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:17 pm
patentlymn wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:39 am
It was reported some time ago that the fumes from the artificially butter flavored variety were determined to cause lung cancer.
Fact or Myth: Diacetyl Popcorn – Could “Butter Flavoring” Pose A Health Danger?

This is a Fact.

Enjoying a bag of popcorn is a common American pastime, as evidenced by the 3 billion popcorn bags sold every year. Unfortunately, the more than $100 million dollars paid in damages to workers and consumers who have fallen ill due to lethal chemicals lurking in the snack suggests that this pastime comes with a heady health price.

The danger lies not so much in the popcorn itself, but in the delicious popcorn scent so many people love to inhale. Freshly popped popcorn actually puts off a toxic and lethal gas when heated at high temperatures. Diacetyl popcorn

According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the aromatic steam contains nearly 4-dozen chemicals – produced by everything from the buttery flavorings to the ink and glue on the bags.

One such chemical, diacetyl (an ingredient found in the butter flavoring used in microwave popcorn), is a known poison. You may have heard about this chemical, and rejoiced in 2007 when popcorn manufacturers launched a series of ad campaigns claiming that the hazardous toxin had been removed and replaced with “newer, better, safer butter substitutes.”

Several government health investigators have exposed these false claims, warning that these new butter substitutes are just as toxic as the original butter flavorings containing diacetyl.

More @:

http://undergroundhealthreporter.com/di ... n-dangers/
I still remember going to a movie in Auburn NY decades ago. "Would you like butter flavored topping on your popcorn sir?"
WTF!?

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Wed May 02, 2018 5:19 pm

I enjoy good popcorn. it seems that Popcorn has received Royal Status these days for a simple Snack, inordinately expensive for Corn Kernels.
Could research this but haven't made time, but thinking it has a lot to do with Corn going way beyond Food into Ethanol. I may be wrong.

For what it's worth, most of the time I use Natural Gas as a fuel for cooking everything. Oh Ya, I have a good Microwave and a good Cuisinart Toaster Oven ...but when I have a choice, I'll use Gas e.g. a Few Tbs Corn Kernels Plus a Tbs Oil in a Quality Saucepan seems to do actually better than the Microwave, and even the fancy electric Cuisinart Popcorn Popper that my kids gave me.

Personally, I don't use a lot of (actually no) Butter with Popcorn, only for friends & some of the Family.
I often use a Dusting of Paprika with Salt that's powdered a bit in a spice grinder. Or I've used S.West Chili and Coriander Seed with some Salt powdered the same way. Usually only takes a light dusting. The heavily Buttered PCorn is usually for the Kids and my Granddaughter.

PROBLEM I'VE HAD W/BAGS is probably method or ingredients, so I'll have to try This Post....in the past it mostly seemed to be different Vendors, maybe different Popcorn as some Burn and some Don't. All the MFG directions are the same but they don't all perform the same.

Like most methods, maybe doing it yourself is best....as posted by, iamlookingup.