CORNED BEEF AND CABBAGE

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
falvegas

CORNED BEEF AND CABBAGE

Post by falvegas » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:04 pm

CORNED BEEF AND CABBAGE
1 – 6 to 8 LB Corned Beef (flat or point cut)
4 Oz. Salt Pork (soaked in Water 2 hours, changed every half hour)
2- Heads Cabbage
10 to 12 Medium Red or White or Yuk Gold Potatoes plus 4 Cloves for studding.
2 Bunches Carrots (~12 to 15) OR Large Package Multi Color Carrots (organic)
12 to 14 Small to Med White onions
6 to 7 medium or small Turnips or Rutabagas
2 to 3 Stalks Celery (with Leaves)
6 to 8 Garlic Cloves
One Bunch Flat Leaf Parsley
S & P to taste.
Couple of Dutch Ovens, and a Steamer or Stock Pot w/Steamer.
Condiments made of Sour Cream, Mustard, Horseradish
Sides of Beer and irish Soda Bread

COOK CORNED BEEF (using Store Bought or Own)
** ADD Corned Beef to a Covered Pot and Just Barely Cover with Water.
** Add 2x stalks Celery, 2x Carrots, 2- Onion, halved (each studded with 1 Clove), 6 to 8 smashed Garlic Cloves, plus a 4 oz block Salt Pork.
** Slow simmer 2-1/2 to 3 hours (See Note following)
When Cooked - Remove Corned Beef, let sit covered ~ 30 min. Reserve the Corned Beef Broth in the pan.

NOTE: If one wants ALL Veggies cooked through with the Finishing of the Beef, add the following Vegetable to the Brisket Pot after the Corned Beef has cooked about 2 hours. I usually cook them separately (as shown below) for two reasons 1.) to keep an over-flavored broth from Turnips and Carrots 2.) to more precisely control the cooking of the vegetables, separately.

COOK VEGGIES: Turnips (peeled) , Onions (peeled), Bunches Carrots, cleaned & brushed (Multi Color Carrots a preferred option), 2 Cabbage (Cored and in Quarters or Fifths), and Whole Potatoes (small to medium Red or White or Yukon), washed.

Turnips & Carrots
In a Separate Pot, Steam the Turnips & Carrots ~25 to 40 Min, until just tender.

Potatoes & Cabbage
Heat Broth in Pan Brisket was cooked in; ADD one whole bunch Parsley to the Pan, and add Whole Potatoes. Cook Potatoes until Just Barely Tender. Lightly salt water unless by taste it’s already salty enough. Add Cut Cabbage Wedges and Whole Potatoes to the Pot, cook until Cabbage is tender enough to serve.

Finishing Platter
When finished cooking, Drain & Arrange Cabbage & Potatoes on a large Platter,
Slice the Brisket ‘across the grain’ in ~1/2 inch pieces, and arrange on platter. Add the Carrots and Turnips for presentation.

Serve with Irish Soda Bread or a Dark Bread or of personal choice…preferably a substantial wheat or grained/seeded bread.

Serve with a good Mustard and Horseradish Mixture on the side.
What I do is to Mix a good Ground Mustard with Sour Cream and a Horseradish with Sour Cream, bowls kept to the side. I usually have some of my own Lightly Brined English Cucumber Slices on the side ….they’re sort of a half brine cucumber but using my own mix of Caraway, Fennel, Mustard Seed, Garlic, cider vinegar/salt brine. Store bought lightly brine Gherkins like Polish are fine.

And of course some good Beer or Ale.

TO BRINE YOUR OWN CORNED BEEF
To Brine Own Corned Beef, go to to the Web and their cooking Notables and get a Recipe to Brine your own
It’s too late to Brine now (for 2018) but normally, it takes about 1 to 2 weeks.
A Basic Corned Beef: Large 2-1/2 to 3 Gallon Container. For a 6 to 8 lb beef Brisket: 7 Qts Hot Water, 2 Cups Pickling Salt, 1 tsp crushed Pepper, ¼ Cup Dry Mustard, 10 smashed cloves Garlic, 1/4 to 1/2 Cup Pickling Spices (store bought). Let water cool and ADD Brisket. Install an internal Plate to keep meat submerged. Remove and lightly wash off Brine.

Kermit

Re: CORNED BEEF AND CABBAGE

Post by Kermit » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:45 pm

That is a load of work, and I'm sure enjoyable for a days adventure.

But I grew up with a family that basically boiled all the above ingredients, (minus the things that make it taste good)

Then one day, the MIL served some cabbage and corn beef, all fried up in a pan. One of the best dishes I ever had.

Now I will fry cabbage, Napa style, mix it with sugar, bacon and lots of pepper.....the worlds best. Thinking of opening up "Kermits fried cabbage restaurant" :mrgreen:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:58 pm

Kermit wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:45 pm

But I grew up with a family that basically boiled all the above ingredients, (minus the things that make it taste good)

Then one day, the MIL served some cabbage and corn beef, all fried up in a pan. One of the best dishes I ever had.

Now I will fry cabbage, Napa style, mix it with sugar, bacon and lots of pepper.....the worlds best. Thinking of opening up "Kermits fried cabbage restaurant" :mrgreen:
it really isn't a lot of work IF you simply ADD the Veggies to the Pot about 2 hours after simmering, and serve it all at once.

Corned Beef & Cabbage is basically just a New England Boiled Dinner.
The best part of it is the Corned Beef which lasts a week in the Frig to make Sliced Corned Beef Sandwiches, Reubens, and for Breakfast...Corned Beef Hash, easy to make, served with Eggs....Yum.

Kermit

Post by Kermit » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:32 pm

falvegas wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:58 pm
Kermit wrote:

it really isn't a lot of work IF you simply ADD the Veggies to the Pot about 2 hours after simmering, and serve it all at once.

The best part of it is the Corned Beef which lasts a week in the Frig to make Sliced Corned Beef Sandwiches, Reubens, and for Breakfast...Corned Beef Hash, easy to make, served with Eggs....Yum.
There was an Irish restaurant here that had corned beef and cabbage on the menu. At first it was wonderful, then the next time, very bland. I see they have now closed down.
And about that hash....when I was a boy, gramma used to make that. Fixed with eggs, it was a very fond memory. Then one day, long after she passed, I spotted a can of it in the store. Hormel, I think.
Turns out, it was the same stuff she made! I always thought it was her recipe. :lolh:
Anyhow, I keep at least one can of that in my pantry at all times.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:57 pm

Kermit wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:32 pm
falvegas wrote:
Kermit wrote:

There was an Irish restaurant here that had corned beef and cabbage on the menu. At first it was wonderful, then the next time, very bland. I see they have now closed down.
And about that hash....when I was a boy, gramma used to make that. Fixed with eggs, it was a very fond memory. Then one day, long after she passed, I spotted a can of it in the store. Hormel, I think.
Turns out, it was the same stuff she made! I always thought it was her recipe. :lolh:
EASY,
2-Tbs Butter
2-Cups Cooked Corn Beef {diced]
2-Cups Cooked Potatoes {Diced}
2 Cup Chopped Onion
1/2-Tbs fresh Parsley, Chopped Fine
2-tsp Worcestershire Sauce
2-Tbs Whole Milk
Sea Salt and Ground Pepper to taste.

Melt butter in Skillet, and Add ALL ingredients except the Milk.
Cook on Med Heat [~10 Min] until Potatoes are browned...stirring now & then.
Stir in the Milk until heated through and Serve.

Kermit

Post by Kermit » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:31 pm

falvegas wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:57 pm
Kermit wrote:
falvegas wrote:
Kermit wrote:

EASY,
2-Tbs Butter
2 Cup Chopped Onion
2-Tbs Whole Milk

This will be my next adventure. Gotta drop the onions, though. Every once in a while I'll use some thinly sliced red onion, or maybe some chives, but that's it.
Taking the kids to Williamsburg this week, so it will be that long before I can do it.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:16 pm

Kermit wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:31 pm
falvegas wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:57 pm
Kermit wrote:
falvegas wrote:
Kermit wrote:

EASY,
2-Tbs Butter
2 Cup Chopped Onion
2-Tbs Whole Milk

This will be my next adventure. Gotta drop the onions, though. Every once in a while I'll use some thinly sliced red onion, or maybe some chives, but that's it.
Taking the kids to Williamsburg this week, so it will be that long before I can do it.
Your could always try Scallions, or Shallots, or Leeks. They're much milder for those who are adverse to Onions.
Personally, I always prefer Shallots or Leeks.
Shallots I prefer in Saute dishes like with Chicken or Fish.
Leeks I prefer in Soups, Braised Dishes, and especially a one of my Favorites with Heavy Beef Dishes, Vichyssoise