Rattlesnake Au Gratin

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
Og3

Rattlesnake Au Gratin

Post by Og3 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:05 am

So one of the first questions I always get about Rattlesnake Au Gratin is, "Isn't it poisonous?" and the answer is, "Not if you're doing it right."

The second question is usually, "Don't you mean venomous?" and the answer is, "Not if you're doing it right."

So there we were... Right, wrong story.

So to start with, you need three large snattlerakes. Your local hardware store will usually have snattlerakes on display, often in the store window. This part is best done in the back yard: Place the three snattlerakes into three prepared holes, about the size of a snattlerake handle, with the tines up. Make sure you don't do this where you have a good lawn, or else your neighbors will start calling you a rake in the grass.

Next, catch a rattlesnake. Oh, the Barbeque's ready. Gotta go... Part 2 later...

Og3

Re: Rattlesnake Au Gratin

Post by Og3 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:53 am

Note to self: No takers for the Snattlerake stew. Tough crowd...

ProgramsWithFortran
Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

Post by ProgramsWithFortran » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:46 am

I live around the corner from Rawhide (relatively speaking). If I want rattlesnake I can just swing by and pick some up.

http://rawhide.com

Kermit

Post by Kermit » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:29 am

Ok, since you guys are twisting my arm.....

When I was about 12, I went on a camping trip with a local scientist and a few other select kids. This was on the Appalachian trail around the greater Roanoke area.
We stumbled across a rattler, and the adults decided to kill it. Of coarse the educational part of it was also, since you kill't it, ya gotta eat it.

So we did, and I liked it very much. (salt and pepper, in a frying pan over fire)

Really interesting thing, about 20 years later, I told this story to my wife.
Turns out, she went on the same camping trip the very next week. She remembers hearing about how the last trip ate a rattle snake.

To this day, she is still facebook friends with this guy. Not me. For one, I haven't entered that world yet, and another...he is a severe bleeding heart liberal.