Alton Brown's Brownies!!!!!

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
StarryNightDave
Mentative

Alton Brown's Brownies!!!!!

Post by StarryNightDave » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:26 pm

I made these twice so far. AMAZING texture! You have to watch his video for the method he uses. It's actually a little different then the instructions below.

Alton Brown's Brownies

Ingredients

Soft butter, for greasing the pan
Flour, for dusting the buttered pan
4 large eggs
1 cup sugar, sifted
1 cup brown sugar, sifted
8 ounces melted butter
11/4 cups cocoa, sifted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup flour, sifted
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Butter and flour an 8-inch square pan.

In a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the eggs at medium speed until fluffy and light yellow. Add both sugars. Add remaining ingredients, and mix to combine.

Pour the batter into a greased and floured 8-inch square pan and bake for 45 minutes. Check for doneness with the tried-and-true toothpick method: a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan should come out clean. When it's done, remove to a rack to cool. Resist the temptation to cut into it until it's mostly cool.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Re: Alton Brown's Brownies!!!!!

Post by tattulip » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:23 pm

Are these chewy brownies or cake-like brownies?

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:28 pm

If it's got brown sugar in it, I will love it. The only 8" square pan I have is Pyrex glass. Would that be okay to use, and if so, would the time or temp. be altered?

BTW Dave, I just found this website quite by accident, but I am going to post it in the Lighter Side, because ideas about food is not the only subject they discuss. You will love it!

A couple of months ago I bought a Krups coffee/spice grinder. My sole purpose is to use it for grinding spices. If you want to use it for coffee beans, better buy 2. That is what is recommended. Anyways, what I saw on this site, is something I never heard of. Did you ever start a recipe and realize too late you were out of a key ingredient? If you are starting a recipe that calls for powdered sugar, and you are out of it, put the regular sugar you do have in the grinder, and turn it on. I didn't believe them when they said it will turn into powdered sugar. Yup, it does.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:31 am

iamlookingup wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:... Did you ever start a recipe and realize too late you were out of a key ingredient? If you are starting a recipe that calls for powdered sugar, and you are out of it, put the regular sugar you do have in the grinder, and turn it on. I didn't believe them when they said it will turn into powdered sugar. Yup, it does.
:hmm: I've never thought of that! :doh: :thumbsup: :stars:
Well, to be honest, neither did I.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:55 pm

I was out of cinnamon the other but had cinnamon sticks. I used my grinder to make cinnamon. It never got that fine BUT it made the inside of my grinder all pitted and stained. :noparty:

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:18 am

tattulip wrote:I was out of cinnamon the other but had cinnamon sticks. I used my grinder to make cinnamon. It never got that fine BUT it made the inside of my grinder all pitted and stained. :noparty:
Yeah, but I bet it smells nice. :mrgreen:

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:31 pm

tattulip wrote:Are these chewy brownies or cake-like brownies?
Sorry for the late reply. These are more cake-like. But they still have a good texture. My wife and daughter love these. I prefer the baker's one bowl brownies with walnuts.