Italian Meatballs

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
falvegas

Italian Meatballs

Post by falvegas » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:36 pm

Italian Meatballs
This is my personal recipe; there are of course hundreds of them. I prefer to use Ground Veal than Ground Beef, makes them a bit milder.
Ingredients
3/4 to 1 Lb Ground Veal
3/4 to 1 Lb Ground Pork
3/4 to 1 Lb Ground Italian Sausage
3/4 C Breadcrumbs from Fresh Bread {I usually cut the 4 sides from a Baguette, cut the Bread into cubes, then pulse them in the Food Chopper Attachment to my food processor) The Fresh Bread can be any bread of choice, I prefer an Artisan Type Bread.
6 Tbs. Whole Milk
4 Eggs (3 Whole Eggs plus One Egg Yolk), whisked.
1-1/2 C Dry Breadcrumbs (unseasoned)
1 Sweet Onion, Chopped Fine
4 to 5 Cloves Garlic, smashed and pressed to mush with a knife and a little salt
3 to 4 Tbs. Italian Parsley, chopped Fine
3 to 4 Tbs. Fresh Oregano, chopped Fine
About 1/2 Cup Olive Oil (for sauté of onions/garlic and to Brown the finished Meatballs)
Salt & Pepper to Taste
Directions
** In small Bowl, Add 6 Tbs. Milk to the fresh Breadcrumbs, and set aside.
** In a skillet, heat 2 to 3 Tbs. Olive Oil and Sauté the Onions and Garlic until ‘Just Translucent’. Remove from heat.
** In a large Mix Bowl, ADD the Meats; Very Lightly ‘Dust’ the Meats with Salt & Pepper, and give them a rough toss to generally combine.
** Add the Onion/Garlic Mix and the Chopped Parsley and Oregano to the Meats and give them another rough toss.
** ADD the Milk Soaked Bread Crumbs and the Dry Breadcrumbs to the Meat Mixture and give them another toss to combine fairly well.
** ADD the Eggs and (with your hands) combine the entire mixture very well. If wanting to make a Meatloaf, use only 1 or 2 eggs.
Make Meatballs
** Wet Your Hands and Form each Meatball with your hands to the meatball size you like, maybe 2 to 2.5 Inches (do not pack them tight so they feel firm but just so they hold together well).
** Heat 1/4 Cup Olive Oil in a good size skillet and Brown the Meatballs (maybe 1-1/2 to 2 minutes per side, 6 to 8 meatballs at a time). One can usually Brown 2 sides (Top & Bottom) then just lightly simmer the sides for a briefer time. Not really necessary to Brown Every Side the same if they’re going to be later Simmered in a Tomato Sauce for a Main Dish. ADD more Olive Oil To each Batch as needed.
** Drain the Meatballs on wire rack over paper towels, and either refrigerate in a container for later use, or add to a Tomato Sauce or other Sauce.
Note: of course the Meatballs can be Baked in the Oven, some like to bake them in Cupcake Pans.

The Simple Tomato Sauce that I make:
A traditional Tomato Sauce takes me about 1.5 to 2 hours; the following short method is an alternative.
** In a Saucier on medium heat, Sauté 1/2 fine chopped Onion, 1 stalk chopped Celery, 1/2 Fine Chopped Carrot and 2 to 3 mashed Cloves Garlic in some Olive Oil, dusted lightly with Salt & Pepper.
** When Veggies are soft, and 2 to 3 Medium Cans of Stewed Tomato Slices (preferably Seasoned).
** With a Potato Masher, in the sauce pan, mash the Stewed Sliced Tomatoes until they are small, about slightly smaller than Diced.
** ADD 1 Large Can Hunts Tomato Sauce, Juice squeezed from 1/2 a Lemon, and 2-tsp. Balsamic Vinegar.
** Add 1/2 tsp. Fresh Chopped Oregano, 3 to 4 Tbs. Fresh Chopped Basil, and 2 to 3 tsp, Sugar (to taste).
** Simmer slowly until all flavors are melded. Salt & Pepper to taste.
** The Meatballs can be added at any time the sauce is near being done.

falvegas

Re: Italian Meatballs

Post by falvegas » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:30 pm

iamlookingup wrote:I make my own meatballs from time to time with rice cakes instead of breading because my mother has Celiac disease, but when I'm in a hurry (and not worried about my mother), I buy the ones that our Harris Teeter makes in the store. They are truly some of the best Italian meatballs I've ever bought. I've tried almost every prepackaged brand that they sell (and they are all awful), but the ones they make and sell in the butcher's section are perfect. I buy them whenever they go on sale.
Thanks, I'll have to look for those.
I have used Market Frozen Meatballs now and then for Party Appetizers, Swedish Style, Teriyaki etc...........

But when I'm making a Formal Italian Dinner of Pasta and Meatballs for the Family when they're over, I do make them myself because 'They're Lighter', I believe more Authentically flavorful ...and of course there's the selfish pride of claiming to be Home Made.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Mon May 15, 2017 8:07 am

Great recipe!

Something you might want to try. I found that baking the meatballs is much easier, plus they brown better. I put them in a casserole pan at 350 for about 35 to 40 minutes. Let's me drain a lot more grease from them too.

I'll have to try using sausage meat in my meatballs too. I usually like to use 80/20 ground beef. I've also used ground Buffalo, which turns out very nice.

And, I found that grating the onion blends the flavor wonderfully throughout the meat. I use a semi-fine grate size and the grated onion looks like applesauce. I don't saute the onion and add it directly to the bread crumbs to make a paste I mix in.

:cool: I love food!

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Wed May 17, 2017 2:48 pm

I love their Teeter Tots! :mrgreen:

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Thu May 18, 2017 3:00 am

StarryNightDave wrote:I love their Teeter Tots! :mrgreen:
Very clever, very clever indeed. :teehee: