DUTCH OVEN WHOLE ROAST CHICKEN

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
falvegas

Post by falvegas » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:10 pm

Done Stews, Chili and the like in my Cast Iron Dutch Oven, BUT I've never Roasted a Whole Chicken in that Pot.
The Dutch Oven I have is a 'Lodge' 7-Quart

Haven't decided to Roast the Chicken in My Oven, or Place the Pot in my Smoker which will control the Temperature to 250 to 300 Deg. with the Water Bath installed. I don't need to add the Wood, just use it as an Oven. Should take about 2 hours.

Also Haven't decided on the Recipe as yet, but it'll be one of the following; I'll let you know how it turns out.
let me know if you have any recommendations, first time I'm doing whole Chicken in a Dutch Oven.

French Recipe:
Chicken Coated with; a Compound Butter of Rosemary or Thyme & Garlic, Vegetables of – Shallot s- Carrots –Celery, Bay, and a Bit of Dry Wine and some Lemon Juice
Grecian Chicken: Sliced Lemon Rounds, Compound Butter of Garlic-Oregano-Lemon Rind bits, Peeled Whole Garlic, Tied Sprigs of Fresh Oregano
American Recipe: Onion Wedges, Small Red Potatoes, Celery Ribs w/leaves, Tied Fresh Thyme, Fresh Parsley, and a cup or so of reduced Chicken Stock.

trailboss

Re: DUTCH OVEN WHOLE ROAST CHICKEN

Post by trailboss » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:20 pm

I used a Dutch oven years ago, it had a nice patina and was seasoned fantastically.... wish I knew what happened to it.

All three of them recipes sound delicious... leaning to the French.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:36 pm

trailboss wrote:I used a Dutch oven years ago, it had a nice patina and was seasoned fantastically.... wish I knew what happened to it.

All three of them recipes sound delicious... leaning to the French.
How can one lose a 30 pound Dutch Oven???? :lolh:

Anyway, YES, i decided to go with the 'French' recipe, a sort of variation of my own recipe, as follows:

ROASTED DUTCH-OVEN CHICKEN

Ingredients
1 whole roasting chicken (4½ to 5 pounds), giblets removed, wings tucked in
1-Tbs Sea or Kosher salt
1/2 tsp. ground black or 1/4 tsp. White Pepper
3 to 4 Tbs. Butter softened to Room Temp.
1- Bunch Fresh flat-leaf Parsley; 1 Tbs, Chopped very fine; the remainder Sprigs Reserved.
2 Sprigs Fresh Rosemary; One Sprig removed of leaves, the other left Whole.
1 Tbs.juice from 1 or 2 Lemons, Plus 1 Tbs. of Skin Grated; the left over Lemon Pieces cut into 4 to 6 pieces.
1 Sweet Onion, diced (about ½ to ¾ cup), Plus 6 Small/Pearl Onions
1 Stalk Celery, diced (about 1/4 to 1/2 cup), Plus 2 small Stalks with Leaves
1 Carrot - diced (about 1/4 to 1/2 cup) Plus 6 small/baby Carrots
6 medium Garlic Cloves, skin removed but left whole
1 Bay Leaf
Vegetable Oil, Chicken fat, or Duck Fat
2 to 3 Tbs. Dry White Wine
One 5 to 7 Quart Dutch Oven (Cast Iron or Enameled Cast Iron), with cover.

Instructions - Part 1
Place Oven Rack to lowest position, heat oven to 250 degrees.
* In a Bowl mix well the, Butter, chopped Rosemary, chopped Parsley, and the grated Lemon.
* Wash & Pat-Dry chicken with paper towels, season well with salt & pepper (making sure the chicken is completely dry - essential for proper browning).
* Rub the Inside of the Chicken with the Cut Lemon Quarters, season with Salt & Pepper, with ‘some of’ the Compound Butter, and stuff the Cavity with the Cut Lemon Pieces and the remaining bunch of whole Parsley. Tie Back the Chicken Legs.
* Heat Fat or Oil in the Dutch Oven (rubbing sides all over) over medium heat.
* Add Chicken breast-side down; Well Rub some Compound Butter all over the Bottom of Chicken. Cook until breast is Lightly Browned, moving chicken around to get coverage, about 5-6 minutes.
* With a Wooden Spoon or Tongs inserted in Bird Cavity, flip the Chicken breast-side up
* Add the vegetables (Onions, Carrots, Celery, Garlic Cloves, Bay Leaf and Rosemary Sprig) and stir to coat well. Cook until chicken is (within reason) Golden Brown all over, ~6 to 8 minutes more and vegetables are lightly browned. Stir veggies occasionally.
* Remove Dutch oven from heat; Rub the rest of the Compound Butter ‘all over’ the top of the Chicken. Cover Pot tightly with lid.
* Transfer Pot to the Oven and cook until instant-read thermometer registers 155 to160 degrees when inserted in thickest part of breast, Likely 80 to 110 minutes.
Instructions - Part 2:
* Transfer chicken to carving board, tent with foil, and rest 20 minutes.
* Remove the Whole Vegetables and reserve.
* Jus: Strain chicken juices from pot through fine-mesh strainer into fat separator, pressing on solids to extract liquid; discard solids (should have about 3/4 cup juices).
* Pour into a saucepan set over low heat. Add White Wine and allow to simmer for 1-2 minutes until alcohol evaporates. Alternatively, can also add lemon juice to the Jus right before serving. One can also make their Favorite Chicken Gravy (Jus) as the Pot cooks in the oven and ADD the Jus from the Pt to the Gravy when the Cooking is done.
Carve chicken, adding any accumulated juices to saucepan, passing Jus at table.

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:00 pm

All this talk about chicken has brought to mind a funny conversation between my mother and sister, both now deceased. It always makes me laugh when I think about it.
"
Brenda: " I think I'll make a roast chicken for dinner on Sunday."

Mom: "Make sure the butcher gives you a capon."

Brenda; "What is a capon?"

Mom: "A capon is a rooster that has been castrated."

Brenda: "Forget it then, I'll make a rib roast instead. If there's anything I can't stand it's a guy with no ballz."

:lol:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:24 am

ConsrvYank1 wrote:All this talk about chicken has brought to mind a funny conversation between my mother and sister, both now deceased. It always makes me laugh when I think about it.
"
Brenda: " I think I'll make a roast chicken for dinner on Sunday."

Mom: "Make sure the butcher gives you a capon."

Brenda; "What is a capon?"

Mom: "A capon is a rooster that has been castrated."

Brenda: "Forget it then, I'll make a rib roast instead. If there's anything I can't stand it's a guy with no ballz."

:lol:
:rofl: :rofl:

I've done a Capon a few times; they're larger and I'd usually Brine them because they're a bit older & tougher. HOWEVA (as we Bostonians would say), can't get em in Nevada anymore, they breed em in La-La Land California and their associated Markets won't sell anymore ....they believe the breeding process is Inhumane. Of course all other poultry 'They Breed To Kill'. But I personally know certain people in California who should be Castrated. :)

I like chicken and turkey, so many dishes one can make inexpensively. BUT my all time favorites are Duck, Pheasant and Quail. A long time ago I would enjoy Goose, but who in the hell wants to pay $75/Bird to feed 3 or 4 people when I can get 2 Ducks for $15/ea. and easily feed 4 or 5.

An exciting by-product of the Duck is quite a bit of Duck Fat, which I reserve to make one of my very best favorite French Cuisines; Duck Confit. I'm making my own mouth water.

Most of the Markets here in Las Vegas/Clark County sell Duck and Goose...a few sell Quail. But If I really want Waterfowl fresh I have a Poultry Farm about 10 miles from me that raises them, and I can especially get Pheasant, Quail and Duck fresh ...they also slaughter my Thanksgiving Turkey for me.Their being sort of Free Range, I almost always Brine them.

I'm rambling on and on....time to stop boring you.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:04 am

The Dutch Oven Chicken game out great.
It was different than what I usually do, liking my chicken isp, but it was cooked beautifully all the way through, and much more 'Moist; than when I Oven Roast or BBQ it. Also the Jus was excellent, didn't need to make a Gravy.

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:56 am

falvegas wrote:The Dutch Oven Chicken game out great.
It was different than what I usually do, liking my chicken isp, but it was cooked beautifully all the way through, and much more 'Moist; than when I Oven Roast or BBQ it. Also the Jus was excellent, didn't need to make a Gravy.
:thumbsup: