OSSO BUCO (re-posted)

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
falvegas

OSSO BUCO (re-posted)

Post by falvegas » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:40 pm

OSSO BUCO
One of my all time favorites, in a Restaurant, and at home for special occasions
I posted this In Here before: Covert Conservatives, under falvegas, Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:33 pm

For those not familiar with, Osso Buco, this is an Italian recipe I simply love. Osso Buco (meaning hole in bone) is braised Veal Shanks in a Mira Poise with tomato, white wine, herbs and a gremolata).

Note: Veal Shanks aren't cheap anymore, I normally have my Butcher cut them for me, but markets sometimes carry them ready to use.

INFO:
* Mirapois is usually chopped 2 parts onions, 1 part celery, 1 part carrots. Some Italians call it Sofritto.
* Gremolada is a simple accompaniment to Ossobuco alla milanese. Typically it contains garlic, parsley and grated lemon peel. Served as a garnish it’s sometimes added to the braised shanks near the end.
* Ossobuco Milanese ('osso buco' or 'osso bucco') is served with a risotto enhanced with saffron. It can also be with plain pasta e.g. Fettuccini with Olive Oil, Garlic and Parsley.
Marrow: The marrow should stay inside the Shanks when braised, and when served. That’s why each Shank Disk is usually tied to keep the marrow in. The marrow is spread on Italian or French bread during the meal (optional).

Osso Buco

Ingredients
8 to 10 large 2 1/2-inch-thick veal Shanks, each patted dry and tied securely with kitchen string to keep the meat attached to the bone
All-Purpose Flour for dredging the veal shanks (seasoned with S & P)
7 tablespoons unsalted Butter plus additional if necessary
3 tablespoons Olive Oil plus additional if necessary
1 1/2 cups dry White Wine
1 1/2 cups finely chopped Onion
3/4 cup finely chopped Carrots
3/4 cup finely chopped Celery
1 teaspoon minced Garlic
3 to 4 cups Chicken Broth or Beef Broth
1 1/2 cups peeled, seeded, and chopped Tomato or 1 1/2 cups drained canned Plum Tomatoes, chopped
Cheesecloth Bag containing 6 fresh parsley sprigs, 4 fresh thyme sprigs, and 1 bay leaf
2-Strips Lemon Rind
1/2 teaspoon Salt, pepper to taste

For the gremolata
1/2 cup minced fresh Parsley Leaves (preferably flat-leafed)
2 tablespoons freshly grated Lemon Zest
1 tablespoon minced Garlic

Preparation
* Prepare the Mirapois (Sofritto): Chop or finely dice Onions, Celery, and Carrots. The veggies will give the sauce its body as texture.
* Heat a few tablespoons of Olive Oil in a heavy based pan to a medium hot temperature. Dust the Shanks with the Seasoned Flour, shake off any excess and fry in batches in the oil until browned, removing them to a plate as you finish each batch. Too high a heat will blacken the flour coating.
* Turn the heat down a bit, add a tablespoon of Oil if the pan is looking dry and add the Mirapois stirring to pick up crusty bits from the meat. Stir occasionally for 5 or so minutes until the veggies start to wilt but don’t lose color.
* Add the Garlic and stir. Add White Wine and cook until the alcohol evaporates (3-4 minutes)
* Add the Tomatoes, Herbs and Lemon Rind. Season to taste.
* Arrange the browned Shanks back into the sauce in one or two layers. One layer is better. You want to simmer the meat undisturbed, and so the marrow doesn't fall out. Add as much Stock as needed to just cover the Shanks. Shake the pan to distribute the sauce.
* Cover with a lid and simmer at lowest temp on top of the stove, or place in a 300 F Degree Oven for about 2 hours until the meat is very tender. The mixture shouldn't dry out so check it, and if reduced add more stock.

When Serving, lift the Shanks out gently so as not to lose the marrow. The marrow has a creamy luscious flavor and can be spread on bread. Some find the marrow unpalatable.

Traditionally this is served with Risotto made with saffron, bone marrow, parmesan and butter. It can be served with any risotto, rice, pasta, wet polenta, even mashed potatoes.
Garnish Osso Bucco with the Gremolata. Mix together the Zest, Parsley and Garlic, sprinkle over each guest plate at the table.