COOKING - SOUS VIDE

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
falvegas

COOKING - SOUS VIDE

Post by falvegas » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:41 pm

Not sure how many of you have had a meal entree cooked Sous Vide [pronounced Sooo - Veee]. These Kitchen devices clip onto a 'say' stock pot and control the Water Temperature to a set point +0.1 Deg F. The Meat, Fish, whatever is placed in a Sealed Plastic Bag , and immersed in the Water Bath when at Temperature. The Sous Vide maintains a very precise temperature for a precise period of time.

I use the method mostly for very high quality Meats/Beef or Fish but it can be used for many different recipes. This method is used by many of the finest restaurants but their equipment costs many $ thousands. The one I bought costs just under $200, and clips onto a Stock Pot, and has a remote readout. Some have Blue Tooth capability.

It's a bit difficult to describe the results SO I've provided some Photos (following) describing results and differences.

STEAK: These identical steaks were both cooked to an internal temperature of 52°C / 125.6°F. The steak on the top was cooked on a cast-iron skillet. The steak on the bottom was cooked sous vide, as evidenced by its edge-to-edge even doneness.

SALMON: These salmon fillets were cooked to 48°C / 119°F. The fillet on top was gently steamed, yet the outer flesh has toughened and the natural color of the fish has is faded. The fillet on the bottom was cooked sous vide – its flesh is delicate and vibrant, yet fully cooked throughout.

EGGS: Because the proteins in egg yolks and egg whites gel at predictable temperatures, you can achieve the exact consistency you prefer, whether you’re cooking one egg or three dozen. The egg on the top was produced by meticulously following highly rated instructions for a “perfectly poached egg.” The egg on the left was cooked sous vide at 65°C / 149°F.

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Re: COOKING - SOUS VIDE

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:44 pm

falvegas wrote:Not sure how many of you have had a meal entree cooked Sous Vide [pronounced Sooo - Veee]. These Kitchen devices clip onto a 'say' stock pot and control the Water Temperature to a set point +0.1 Deg F. The Meat, Fish, whatever is placed in a Sealed Plastic Bag , and immersed in the Water Bath when at Temperature. The Sous Vide maintains a very precise temperature for a precise period of time.

I use the method mostly for very high quality Meats/Beef or Fish but it can be used for many different recipes. This method is used by many of the finest restaurants but their equipment costs many $ thousands. The one I bought costs just under $200, and clips onto a Stock Pot, and has a remote readout. Some have Blue Tooth capability.

It's a bit difficult to describe the results SO I've provided some Photos (following) describing results and differences.

STEAK: These identical steaks were both cooked to an internal temperature of 52°C / 125.6°F. The steak on the top was cooked on a cast-iron skillet. The steak on the bottom was cooked sous vide, as evidenced by its edge-to-edge even doneness.

SALMON: These salmon fillets were cooked to 48°C / 119°F. The fillet on top was gently steamed, yet the outer flesh has toughened and the natural color of the fish has is faded. The fillet on the bottom was cooked sous vide – its flesh is delicate and vibrant, yet fully cooked throughout.

EGGS: Because the proteins in egg yolks and egg whites gel at predictable temperatures, you can achieve the exact consistency you prefer, whether you’re cooking one egg or three dozen. The egg on the top was produced by meticulously following highly rated instructions for a “perfectly poached egg.” The egg on the left was cooked sous vide at 65°C / 149°F.

That's interesting. I had never heard of sous vide.

falvegas

Re: COOKING - SOUS VIDE

Post by falvegas » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:35 am

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
falvegas wrote:Not sure how many of you have had a meal entree cooked Sous Vide [pronounced Sooo - Veee]. These Kitchen devices clip onto a 'say' stock pot and control the Water Temperature to a set point +0.1 Deg F. The Meat, Fish, whatever is placed in a Sealed Plastic Bag , and immersed in the Water Bath when at Temperature. The Sous Vide maintains a very precise temperature for a precise period of time.

That's interesting. I had never heard of sous vide.

I sort of had a feeling that 'some' of the members might not have heard of it. It is quite the 'In Thing' to know for those who Like To Dine Out, but now it is becoming popular for cooking at home.