BAGNA CAUDA (a request)

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
falvegas

BAGNA CAUDA (a request)

Post by falvegas » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:35 pm

BAGNA CAUDA

Bagna Cauda is an Italian Anchovy-Garlic Dip, as I recall it’s from the Northwest region of Italy, near the mountains. It’s made from Olive Oil, Garlic, Anchovies, and either Butter or sometimes Cream.

The Dip must be served Very Hot but Not Boiling, so having a chaffing dish or Spirit Stove of some sort is needed, a Fondue Set will work just fine.
Serving: It’s traditionally served with Dipping Vegetables such as Artichokes, Fennel, Celery, Cardoons, ….one can always use generally available veggies such as Carrots or Jicama, Bok Choy, Mushrooms, Green/Red Peppers, Broccoli etc.

Note: Traditional recipes will sometimes call for White Truffle, which obviously is ‘optional’. But one might consider using a Truffle Oil if it’s important to the server.

INGREDIENTS
6- Salted Anchovies (lightly rinsed to remove some of the Salt). Bone (if bones in) and chopped.
1/2 - Cup Butter, unsalted
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
4 Large or 6 Medium Garlic Cloves, smashed
1- White Truffle (Optional)

DIRECTIONS

* Place Butter, Oil and Garlic in a saucepan, preferably a quality multi-ply Stainless or an Enameled Cast Iron Saucepan. Saute ‘gently’ until the Garlic is Soft but not Browned.
* Remove from the stove and mix in the Anchovies with a Fork into a Paste.
* If Using Truffle: Slice thin
* Return Mixture to the Saucepan and heat [add truffle if using]

Note: Normally in the US supermarkets we don’t get the quality Anchovies they do in the Mediterranean. But I often see the better Imported Anchovies in the local Mediterranean Market.
Last edited by falvegas on Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

trailboss

Re: BAGNA CAUDA (a request)

Post by trailboss » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:51 pm

might sound kind of stupid but is this a fishy tasting dish?

I like sardines in caesar salad proportions, much more than that, to me is smells like something for the dog or cat.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:35 pm

trailboss wrote:might sound kind of stupid but is this a fishy tasting dish?

I like sardines in caesar salad proportions, much more than that, to me is smells like something for the dog or cat.
Not really, more of a Garlic Dip. And yes, anchovies tend to meld into the Dip as they do in a Caesar Salad Dressing.
Been quite awhile since I had this, however the Sardines we get in cans/jars in the US are not the same as they mostly use in the Mediterranean.

trailboss

Post by trailboss » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:41 pm

Thanks, it sounds like a trip to whole foods market, or the local competitor of that chain might be the ticket.

Sounds like something that would be good on a crunchy sourdough or baguette also.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:48 pm

trailboss wrote:Thanks, it sounds like a trip to whole foods market, or the local competitor of that chain might be the ticket.

Sounds like something that would be good on a crunchy sourdough or baguette also.

Of course; especially an Italian Bead, even a basket of Bruschetta or Crostini could work.

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:34 pm

falvegas wrote:
Bagna Cauda is an Italian Anchovy-Garlic Dip, as I recall it’s from the Northwest region of Italy, near the mountains. It’s made from Olive Oil, Garlic, Anchovies, and either Butter or sometimes Cream.

The northwest region of Italy is correct, the town of Moncalvo, which I believe is near Turin. I once ordered a video of that region from PBS while in my CT. homestate. It was so beautiful it made me cry. I lent it to my doctor, and forgot to pick it up before I moved. :sad:

INGREDIENTS
6- Salted Sardines (lightly rinsed to remove some of the Salt). Bone (if bones in) and chopped.
Sardines? I know my grandmother used anchovies. Thanks for the recipe, the only downside is where do I get the crusty Italian bread?

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:15 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
falvegas wrote:

The northwest region of Italy is correct, the town of Moncalvo, which I believe is near Turin. I once ordered a video of that region from PBS while in my CT. homestate. It was so beautiful it made me cry. I lent it to my doctor, and forgot to pick it up before I moved. :sad:

INGREDIENTS
6- Salted Sardines (lightly rinsed to remove some of the Salt). Bone (if bones in) and chopped.
Sardines? I know my grandmother used anchovies. Thanks for the recipe, the only downside is where do I get the crusty Italian bread?
That was stupid if I do say so myself. Now what in God's name caused me to write, Sardines when I stated the recipe calls for Anchovies. Anyway, I went back and corrected it. I shouldn't assume from my notes, I should read what I actually wrote....Idiota!

It's difficult to believe that one can't get genuine Italian or French Breads these days. Almost every market near me carries a pretty good supply of Artisan Breads ...I couldn't live without them.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:23 am

falvegas wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
falvegas wrote:
It's difficult to believe that one can't get genuine Italian or French Breads these days. Almost every market near me carries a pretty good supply of Artisan Breads ...I couldn't live without them.
I know, and it drives me nuts. You should see the restaurants around here. Some people think this one is a gourmet restaurant.

http://www.leosconeyisland.com/

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:29 am

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
falvegas wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
falvegas wrote:
I know, and it drives me nuts. You should see the restaurants around here. Some people think this one is a gourmet restaurant.

Oh No.....and you're in Michigan, aren't you? Guess I falsely assume most people have at least a decent Bakery near them
Although Las Vegas has a wealth of world class restaurants, I live about 12 miles west of downtown, yet I can get just about anything; great Butchers and Fish Mongers, including Artisan Breads baked daily.

I'll count my blessings...don't know what I'd do without the Markets and variety of quality restaurants within a mile or two of me.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:14 am

falvegas wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
falvegas wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
falvegas wrote:

Oh No.....and you're in Michigan, aren't you? Guess I falsely assume most people have at least a decent Bakery near them
Although Las Vegas has a wealth of world class restaurants, I live about 12 miles west of downtown, yet I can get just about anything; great Butchers and Fish Mongers, including Artisan Breads baked daily.

I'll count my blessings...don't know what I'd do without the Markets and variety of quality restaurants within a mile or two of me.
There is only one thing worse than living in Michigan, and that's living in Flint, which is where I am.

Yes, count your blessings.