Steam cooked eggs

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
trailboss

Steam cooked eggs

Post by trailboss » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:37 pm

My brother is a chicken wrangler, h has made quite a hobby out of raising chickens, and he passed this on to me.

Instead of hard boiling your eggs, put them in a steamer basket and bring water to a boil.
Boil for ten minutes covered.
Take out and peel as usual.

The egg yolks are deliciously creamy, and never rubbery when you do it this....the results when using these yolks for deviled eggs is simply amazing.

Another tip on eggs is that if the eggs are a bit older (as in a couple weeks) when you cook them hard boiled style the shell releases from the egg "meat" better and your eggs don't look so much like Ray Liotta's face, all pockmarked.

paulh

Re: Steam cooked eggs

Post by paulh » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:49 pm

I boil mine for 30 seconds, lower to simmer for 13 minutes, remove and throw in ice cubes. Peels like butter. Simmer less for softer yolk.

trailboss

Post by trailboss » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:16 pm

Yeah... I used to do the boil and ice water method, still had occasional pock marked eggs.... when eggs are really fresh, the membrane sticks to the shell regardless at times....as time goes by that membrane breaks down.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:55 am

trailboss wrote:My brother is a chicken wrangler, h has made quite a hobby out of raising chickens, and he passed this on to me.

Instead of hard boiling your eggs, put them in a steamer basket and bring water to a boil.
Boil for ten minutes covered.
Take out and peel as usual.

The egg yolks are deliciously creamy, and never rubbery when you do it this....the results when using these yolks for deviled eggs is simply amazing.

Another tip on eggs is that if the eggs are a bit older (as in a couple weeks) when you cook them hard boiled style the shell releases from the egg "meat" better and your eggs don't look so much like Ray Liotta's face, all pockmarked.

Gonna have to try that ...I'm a freak on steaming foods.
In the last 6 Months I've been cooking a lot of Sous Vide...bought myself a Sansaire. So far it's mostly for quality Steaks and Fish. I just might be able to use the Sous Vide method (its precision) to cook eggs to near any done-ness.

Right now, I do eggs Soft Boil the basic method in water. Hard Boil, I punch a tiny hole in the end, ensure the eggs are room temp (if not I warm them), bring them to a boil and remove the pot from the heat and let sit 12 minutes or so. I remove the Eggs to Ice Water to cool and help keep the yolks from getting Dark.

But I'm gonna have to think about trying this Steaming Method.