LADY BIRD JOHNSON’S LEMON CAKE

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Tue May 10, 2016 7:00 am

3/4 Cup Softened Butter
1 1/4 Cups Sugar
8 Egg Yolks
2 1/2 Cups Flour
3 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
3/4 Cup Milk
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
2 t. lemon juice
1 Teaspoon Grated Lemon Rind

Preheat your oven to 325° F. Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks until light and lemon colored. Blend into the creamed mixture. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Resift 3 times. Add the sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture in thirds, alternating with the milk. Beat the batter thoroughly after each addition. Add the vanilla extract, lemon rind and lemon juice. Beat for 2 minutes. Bake in a greased Bundt pan in the oven for 1 hour or until the cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool 19 minutes before inverting on serving platter.

LEMON GLAZE
2 cups powdered sugar
1-2 T. fresh lemon juice
1-2 t. buttermilk
Zest of one fresh lemon

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Re: LADY BIRD JOHNSON’S LEMON CAKE

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Tue May 10, 2016 8:07 am

That looks absolutely delicious, I love lemon anything. But what is that brown stuff on top of the cake? It looks suspiciously like bacon. :eyebrow:

Dave, have you made this cake? What do you think about using cake flour instead of regular?

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Tue May 10, 2016 10:39 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:That looks absolutely delicious, I love lemon anything. But what is that brown stuff on top of the cake? It looks suspiciously like bacon. :eyebrow:

Dave, have you made this cake? What do you think about using cake flour instead of regular?
Haven't made this just yet. I think the brown on the top of the cake is just the cake itself. The icing is just a glaze, so it's partly transparent.

Cake flour usually makes cakes much lighter. It's milled finer than regular flour. I think it would work just fine.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Wed May 11, 2016 10:20 pm

I love bacon. But bacon and lemon?