KANSAS CITY RIBS

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
falvegas

KANSAS CITY RIBS

Post by falvegas » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:50 pm

KANSAS CITY RIBS
Most of the time I BBQ Southwest Pork Ribs [Loin Back Ribs], but occasionally I’ll do Kansas City Style Ribs [Side Spareribs]. They BBQ close to the same amount of time [~4 hours]. The K-City Rib uses the St. Louis cut of Rib, and the Rib-Rub is much less complex than the Southwest. Best to get good ribs from your butcher and he can cut the St. Louis style for you.

Use a Kansas City Rib, commonly known as the St. Louis Cut.

BASIC RIB PREPARATION
Remove the membrane, easier if you start at the end of the slab and use a paper towel to grip the membrane. Pull it backward close to the meat, and it usually comes off in one piece.

Apply the Dry Rub
** Use a Kansas City Rub [recipe follows]: KC rubs are somewhat salty and sweet with a touch of heat, however one flavor doesn’t overpower the other.

Provide a good coat of rub on all sides and edges, and place the ribs in the refrigerator overnight, letting the rub flavor work into the meat. [What I do is Warm (not hot) the Dry Rub in a large skillet, and turn the ‘Cold’ ribs in the Dry Rub fully coating them.]

PREPARE THE BBQ
** Set the Ribs at room temperature at least 1 hour before cooking.
** Set smoker at 240 to 250 Degrees.
Best to use Lump Oak Charcoal [Like Royal Oak] as it isn’t impregnated with Corn Starch & Lye the way Briquettes are made.
** Soak a pan of Apple and Hickory Woods. An Aluminum Pie Pan, filled with soaked wood chips, then covered with HD Aluminum Foil will work, punch Holes in the Foil every inch or so. Note: Hickory and Mesquite smoke can be overpowering. I usually add a mixture of Apple, Pecan, Cherry or Oak.

Note: There are many types of BBQ’s designed for Smoke.
IF YOU HAVE ONLY A GRILL: Offset the Charcoal & Woodchips on one side of the Grill, and place the Ribs on the other [coolest] side, and in an aluminum pre-formed pan. Types of BBQ Smokers are: the classic ‘Offset Smoker’ you’re all use to seeing, ‘Upright Drum Smoker, and Vertical Water Smoker’. They can be Wood/Charcoal, Propane, even Electric fired. In fact one can easily BBQ in their Oven, HOWEVER Your Range Hood had better be a high exhaust [CFM] Hood, and be exhausted to the outside only. Still, the Oven will smell of smoke for awhile.

BBQ THE RIBS
** Keep Ribs moist during cooking. Use a spray bottle filled with Apple Juice.
After 1 ½ hours give the ribs a quick spray,. Repeat this step every 45 minutes until the ribs are tender. I use a Spray Bottle rather than a Mop so I don’t disturb the surface of the ribs.
** At about 4 hours the Ribs should be checked for tenderness. KC Ribs are thick enough to use a quick read thermometer, however can be done by; Observing that the meat has pulled from the Bone ends at least ¼ inch. One can also lift one end for signs it’s starting to break; or turn the ribs on edge, twisting a couple of bones gently – if it spins easily the ribs are done.
** At this point, Fully Glaze the Ribs with a Kansas City Sauce [recipe follows]
** Wrap Ribs tightly in Foil to keep them from overcooking.
** Cook another 20 -30 minutes, checking after 20 minutes so they don’t burn.

Let them rest a few minutes before serving with some extra sauce.

Kansas City Rib-Rub
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne

Store Baught- Kansas City Rubs
Urbana, Raichlen and a bunch of others

Kansas City Rib Sauce
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon cayenne
Heat in a small sauce pan until flavors well melded, and reserve in a container.