"Oven Ready" Lasagna Noodles?

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
trailboss

"Oven Ready" Lasagna Noodles?

Post by trailboss » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:04 am

I decided to make a batch of Lasagna, and like I always do, got ready to make the noodles, but I then saw the "oven ready" label, and it had no instructions for boiling the noodles.
ImageImage

The instructions say to add 1 cup of water for every 3 cups of sauce...so basically you water down your sauce and the noodles absorb the water while you cook? I always think the fewer variables in a recipe the better.
Traditionally, I boil the noodles and rinse them off before assembling the lasagna, this way it seems you leave all the starch or whater in the finished product.

I went to the store, and bought the traditional, should I throw the oven ready stuff out?

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Re: "Oven Ready" Lasagna Noodles?

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:28 pm

trailboss wrote:I decided to make a batch of Lasagna, and like I always do, got ready to make the noodles, but I then saw the "oven ready" label, and it had no instructions for boiling the noodles.
ImageImage

The instructions say to add 1 cup of water for every 3 cups of sauce...so basically you water down your sauce and the noodles absorb the water while you cook? I always think the fewer variables in a recipe the better.
Traditionally, I boil the noodles and rinse them off before assembling the lasagna, this way it seems you leave all the starch or whater in the finished product.

I went to the store, and bought the traditional, should I throw the oven ready stuff out?
I would, but that might be just me. It just seems a little off.

trailboss

Post by trailboss » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:03 pm

Thanks...I delivered to restaurants for many, many years...a large number of Italian in the SF bay area, never heard of such a thing, and I doubt they would go this route. After returning to the store to get the right stuff it seem that half of what is on the shelves is the "oven ready" variety.

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:18 pm

I agree with CY1. Throw out the oven ready. I can't imagine. Yuk.

People are so lazy today and so taste dead from eating fast food they no longer know good food. Just because the shelves are lined with that stuff does not make it good!

I say good for you for going back to the store to get the right noodles!!!!!

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:23 am

iamlookingup wrote:You don't need to use "oven ready" lasagna noodles to make the recipe that way. You can use good ol' every day lasagna noodles.

I never boil my noodles first. I always just assemble it all (with plenty of sauce) and cook it. It comes out fine.
You are the first person I ever heard of that did it that way.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Mon May 11, 2015 10:12 am

iamlookingup wrote:You don't need to use "oven ready" lasagna noodles to make the recipe that way. You can use good ol' every day lasagna noodles.

I never boil my noodles first. I always just assemble it all (with plenty of sauce) and cook it. It comes out fine.
Yep - that's what I heard years ago. But I never bothered to try it.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Mon May 11, 2015 1:10 pm

I am not satisfied with fine, I am satisfied with spectacular. I learned from the best cooks ever, right off the boat. I guess it depends on what you are used to. I would rather spend the extra time rather than just throw them in there uncooked.

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Mon May 11, 2015 5:41 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:

I am not satisfied with fine, I am satisfied with spectacular. I learned from the best cooks ever, right off the boat. I guess it depends on what you are used to. I would rather spend the extra time rather than just throw them in there uncooked.
I agree. I would never put uncooked lasagna noodles in lasagna. I cook mine to a little under al dente. They cook the rest of the way in the oven and it turns out very well.