TENDERLOIN IN RED WINE SAUCE W/3 VEGETABLE PUREES

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
falvegas

TENDERLOIN IN RED WINE SAUCE W/3 VEGETABLE PUREES

Post by falvegas » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:48 pm

Valentine Dinner for My Kids

BEEF LOIN TENDERLOIN IN RED WINE SAUCE W/3 VEGETABLE PUREES
I was deciding on a moderately elegant Valentines Day meal for my Kids, However I wanted one I could prep in 35 to 40 Minutes while they wee here.
Couldn’t decide between Quail w/Pomegranate Juniper Sauce OR a Filet Mignon with Vegetables. Quail is as expensive as Tenderloin and they both cook-up quick, but the kids all love Beef so I decided on a Beef Tenderloin in a rich Red Wine Sauce and a Three different Vegetable Puree which I could make up well before with the Wine Sauce.

Note: The Dish is one I've made before from ‘The Italian Academy Of Cookery’, circa 1986.
In Italian it’s Filetto Di Manzo Amarone

Filetto Di Manzo Amarone

Three Puree Serving Photo

Note: Except I’ll do a Puree of Broccoli & Peas arranging 3 Purees on each plate or side plate.

Beef Tenderloin & Red Wine Sauce
INGREDIENTS
4 to 5 Beef Tenderloin Steaks [about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inch thick]
2-1/2 Cups Amarone or other sturdy Red Wine [Italian Valpolicella or a Rich Red California will do]. Amarone can be expensive.
1- Large or 2 Med Red Onions, coarse chopped
2-1/2 Cups good Beef Stock
4 -TBS Butter
1-TBS Olive Oil
2- Cups Cremini Mushrooms, sliced [Optional]
Sea Salt & Ground Pepper to taste.

DIRECTIONS
Note: Prepare Vegetable Purees ahead of time [recipes following]
Mushrooms {These are Optional]
** Melt 2-TBS Butter and Oil in a skillet [medium heat]. Add mushrooms and salt; cook 5 minutes. Add ½ Cup Beef Broth and ½ Cup wine; simmer 8 minutes. Combine some cornstarch with water, mix well, and stir into sauce; simmer 2 minutes until slightly thick. Set aside to warm in oven.
Tenderloins
** Cook Onions in 2-Cups of the Wine and allow to reduce by Half
** Add 2 Cups Beef Stock and reduce to ¼ its original volume.
** Remove the Onions and allow Liquid to reduce another 20% or so.
** Add 2-Tbs Remaining Butter to a Skillet on Medium High and Sear Tenderloins on one side about 4 minutes until just browned, then 5 to 7 minutes on the other [depending on the wellness of meat required]. Most will not allow the center of a Tenderloin Steak to get above 125 Deg. F.
** Place on serving plates and pour over sauce immediately with some of the Mushrooms [Without Mushrooms, can dot tenderloins with some lightly roasted Pine Nuts or Edible Flowers]
** Place 2-TBS each of the Potato-Chestnut Puree, The Carrot Puree, and the Green Vegetable Puree on each Plate, arranged in a Star shape Or serve on a side Dish. See Puree Recipes [following].

VEGETABLE PUREES
(Essentially making Baby Food) :)

Green Vegetable Puree
2 cups raw baby spinach leaves
2 cups broccoli florets, fresh or frozen
1 cup sweet green peas, frozen
2 to 3 tablespoons water
Sea Salt to taste
** Pour about 2 inches of water into a pot with a lid. Insert a vegetable steamer, add the broccoli, and steam ~10 minutes, until very tender.
** Add the frozen peas to the basket for the last 2 minutes of steaming. Drain.
** Place the raw spinach in a food processor first and pulse a few times. This will reduce the spinach significantly.
** Add the cooked broccoli and peas, along with 2 tablespoons of Water or Chicken Stock. Puree on high until as smooth as possible.
Keep Warm or refrigerate overnight & Re-heat.

Chestnut-Potato Puree
1 large Potato, peeled & diced, boiled till soft
4 Oz canned Chestnut Puree
1-TBS Butter
Salt & Pepper to taste
Fresh Ground Nutmeg
** Mash Potatoes and add Chestnut Puree and Butter
** Blend in a small Saucepan, and Heat Gently, stirring in Salt Pepper & Nutmeg to taste.
** Puree in a FP until as smooth as possible.
Keep Warm or refrigerate for 1-day & Re-heat.

Carrot Puree
¼ Cup chopped Onion
1-TBS Butter
2 large or 3 medium Carrots, fine chopped
Sea Salt &Pepper to taste plus a pinch of Sugar
** Fry Onion in Butter, add the Carrots, cover & cook ~10 minutes over Low Heat.
** When just soft, season w/salt & Pepper
** Puree in a FP until as smooth as possible.
Keep Warm or refrigerate for 1-day & Re-heat.

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: TENDERLOIN IN RED WINE SAUCE W/3 VEGETABLE PUREES

Post by Pixie » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:26 am

I love the tenderloin recipe and the mushrooms would not be optional for me as I love mushrooms.

Now, this is strictly a personal taste but I am not big on pureed vegetables. But the recipes look fabulous for those who enjoy pureed vegetables.

I do love carrots!!!!!!!

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:03 pm

Pixie wrote:I love the tenderloin recipe and the mushrooms would not be optional for me as I love mushrooms.

Now, this is strictly a personal taste but I am not big on pureed vegetables. But the recipes look fabulous for those who enjoy pureed vegetables.

I do love carrots!!!!!!!
It is sort of a presentation thingy, of course one can always sauté baby Carrots in butter & parsley, and steam Broccoli served with fingerling potatoes. Just a simple mound of baby spinach with some strings of orange zest is super easy and quick.

But the Chestnut- Potato puree is really good, as is the Green Vegetable Puree made with Fresh Spinach, and one can freeze them.

But Ya, unless your making baby food, it's more of a presentation thing, however one can add tons of flavor and variety on a plate.

and fingerling in butter

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:25 pm

Fingerling potatoes in butter, yummy. Sometimes I make a meal of those.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:30 pm

Pixie wrote:Fingerling potatoes in butter, yummy. Sometimes I make a meal of those.
Yes - Fingerlings w/baby carrots, and other especially Green Vegetables including Spinach, Broccoli, Haricot Verts, Asparagus...and of course in spring one should not fail to consider 'Ramps' with the Potatoes or Beef.

Found this on YouTube. It's simpler than my Italian Cookbook, but you can watch it made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jRFWacL_2A

AND THERE'S A MORE CONVENTIONAL way to do Beef w/fingerlings & Vegies

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:05 pm

Oh, my gosh, that is incredible!!Oh that is making me hungry.

That tenderloin of beef looks to die for!!!!! I am going to watch the video. :wave:

Oh that was fun to watch. I liked the music. :lolh:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:01 pm

Pixie wrote:Oh, my gosh, that is incredible!!Oh that is making me hungry.

That tenderloin of beef looks to die for!!!!! I am going to watch the video. :wave:

Oh that was fun to watch. I liked the music. :lolh:
Just a recommendation: Sear the Filet in a Very Hot Cast Iron, just 3 or so minutes on each side - then place in a 170 Deg. Oven or a warmer until the sauce is done [never allow center of Filet to get above 125 Deg, before resting].

On the Wine Sauce (they didn't do this in the Film): The Diced Red Onions add flavor to the Wine Reduction [strained out half way through]. THEN add and equal amount of Beef Stock and reduce again. THEN [whatever you do] do not forget to add 1 to 2 TBS Butter to add a 'Silkiness' to the Wine Sauce ....Then add the Filet [from the Oven] to Finish.

Mushrooms can be added to the finished sauce with the Filet [However] I personally Believe that the Mushrooms should not be left in the Wine Sauce to soak too long ... Just place them on Top of the Filet, providing a differential of Beef to Mushroom Flavors. Top Filet/Mushrooms with Italian Parsley, Ramps, or even - Edible Flowers.

For a more Gentle Wine Sauce...one can add Shallots or Sliced Leeks in the beginning, then filter them out after the reduction.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:14 pm

Fabulous!

There is no one who understands the power of reduction any better than you, professional chef or not!!!

:clap:

Oh, I had to come back to say I agree 100% on your mushroom tip.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:15 pm

Pixie wrote:Fabulous!

There is no one who understands the power of reduction any better than you, professional chef or not!!!

Well, that is nice of you to say, however one should understand the difference between a Novice Cook as myself and the incredible talent of those True Chefs who I learned a few things from, who corrected my silly ways.

And yes; when crafting a dish with discrete components, it's different than making a Stew. The components should be in harmony but each should present its own true character.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:23 pm

falvegas wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
falvegas wrote:Ramps

Don’t know how many of you have cooked with Ramps; myself, I adore them. They add a dimension to a dish I normally have to get with a combination of Leeks – Garlic & Other Greens.
Those dishes look absolutely fabulous! You say you aren't a professional chef, but I bet money that most of them who are can't hold a candle to you. :drool:
Nope, far from it. I've cooked with the Pros a few times, and one of my friends is a Chef, and I assure you, I do not have the knowledge-base or proficiency in disciplines that a certified chef has.

I posted this because I knew that many had heard of Ramps but wasn't sure if some had not, simply FYI
falvegas wrote:
Pixie wrote:Fabulous!

Well, that is nice of you to say, however one should understand the difference between a Novice Cook as myself and the incredible talent of those True Chefs who I learned a few things from, who corrected my silly ways.

And yes; when crafting a dish with discrete components, it's different than making a Stew. The components should be in harmony but each should present its own true character.
You're kidding me right, you remember that my father was a classically trained chef who spent 15 years in France and another 3 years in Italy.

It was a compliment based on CY1's post in another thread and your reply. We are very generous people who also like to provide lots of support and praise believe me we know the difference.

:wave: