A Thanksgiving Care Package - for my cousin

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
StarryNightDave
Mentative

A Thanksgiving Care Package - for my cousin

Post by StarryNightDave » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:21 pm

I can't invite my cousin down for Thanksgiving, so I want to visit with him this weekend. And I want to give him a Thanksgiving "package" so he can make a turkey and have several meals during the week.

Any ideas of what I could include in the package? Here's what I'm thinking so far . . .

A turkey - maybe 18 to 22 pounds?

A few Yams - our local supermarket has some wonderful shrink-wrapped yams that you microwave for 8 minutes. They come out fantastic.

A few cans of cranberry jelly. (A necessity!)

Some onions, celery, bread cubes, and a pound of butter for making stuffing. Maybe some spices too. Fresh Sage and Thyme.

I also want to get him about a dozen Zatarain's boxes of Dirty Rice Mix for other meals. This is amazing stuff! Cheap too.

Now that the weather is cold, he can't go to the flea market to sell KetchHot. So I wanted to get him stocked up for at least a little while with some food. I just thought the holiday would be a good excuse to do it.

Can you think of anything else easy to make I could take to him? Maybe a pumpkin pie. :yes:

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Re: A Thanksgiving Care Package - for my cousin

Post by tattulip » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:46 pm

Will he actually make stuffing or would it be better to buy the stuffing mix?

Someone was just telling me how good these are:

How about a package of gravy mix?

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:49 pm

Very good suggestions. I'll get some tubs of mashed potatoes. (I really like those!)

Have you used any good stuffing mixes? I've only seen Stove Top Stuffing. Is there anything better you can actually stuff inside a bird?

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:13 pm

StarryNightDave wrote:Very good suggestions. I'll get some tubs of mashed potatoes. (I really like those!)

Have you used any good stuffing mixes? I've only seen Stove Top Stuffing. Is there anything better you can actually stuff inside a bird?
Save your money, I tried that once, it was terrible. You could get him a bag of the flavored cubed bread, then he can take it from there. He can add sausage, basically anything he wants. I would prolly buy him 3 lbs. of butter. Between the turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, etc. he may need it.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:14 pm

StarryNightDave wrote:Very good suggestions. I'll get some tubs of mashed potatoes. (I really like those!)

I don't know if you can actually use Stove Top for stuffing the bird. I guess I don't why you couldn't! Don't know of any other brands. Nothing will be as good as homemade. I don't know how much he cooks so I didn't know if he would actually make stuffing. If you think he will, you could include a recipe for stuffing?

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:08 pm

tattulip wrote:

I don't know if you can actually use Stove Top for stuffing the bird. I guess I don't why you couldn't! Don't know of any other brands. Nothing will be as good as homemade. I don't know how much he cooks so I didn't know if he would actually make stuffing. If you think he will, you could include a recipe for stuffing?
I was wondering about this too.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:10 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:

Save your money, I tried that once, it was terrible. You could get him a bag of the flavored cubed bread, then he can take it from there. He can add sausage, basically anything he wants. I would prolly buy him 3 lbs. of butter. Between the turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, etc. he may need it.

If he does like to cook I think the flavored bread cubes is a better idea and I agree 3 lbs. of butter. Also, whether he wants to make stuffing or not make sure to get him a few cans of chicken stock... for the stuffing and for soup with the leftover turkey. he can heat up the chicken stock throw in all the leftover turkey and some vegetables and make a great soup that will last days.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:28 pm

Well, he does love to cook, which worries me a little. He was telling me how he was frying cheese slices one day. And another time he was frying chicken skins.

It's funny how two people can be related, but have such different upbringings.

I think he would make stuffing. So maybe I should get more butter.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:16 pm

I have relatives that I wonder how they can be related to me.

Maybe you should get him some frozen rolls too.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:04 pm

Pixie wrote:I have relatives that I wonder how they can be related to me.

Maybe you should get him some frozen rolls too.
Thanks!

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:41 pm

Since he is by himself, a couple of high quality canned hams would be good and would keep him supplied for a while, as he could open them as needed. Add some cans of pineapple rings that he could place on them before baking. Maybe some nice glaze too.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:13 pm

Fatherducque wrote:Since he is by himself, a couple of high quality canned hams would be good and would keep him supplied for a while, as he could open them as needed. Add some cans of pineapple rings that he could place on them before baking. Maybe some nice glaze too.
Never thought of that. I'll get some canned hams and pineapple.

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:41 pm

StarryNightDave wrote:
Fatherducque wrote:Since he is by himself, a couple of high quality canned hams would be good and would keep him supplied for a while, as he could open them as needed. Add some cans of pineapple rings that he could place on them before baking. Maybe some nice glaze too.
Never thought of that. I'll get some canned hams and pineapple.
Add a can of cloves too. And a couple of aluminum foil baking pans to bake the ham in.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:11 pm

This thread is full of excellent ideas!

LandLover

Post by LandLover » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:10 pm

What about dessert!?

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:34 am

LandLover wrote:What about dessert!?
I was going to take some pumpkin pies.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:35 am

iamlookingup wrote:Stouffers makes a really good frozen mac & cheese. My kids love it. Bob Evans makes a microwavable mac and cheese, too. They also make a sweet potato casserole.

I don't know if you've already been out to buy something, but http://catering.wegmans.com/

That would be the EASIEST thing for him.

I'm all about practicality. If someone gave me a care package, I'd rather it be something I could easily store than something I had to worry would go bad before I could assemble it.

And unlike CY1, I really love stovetop stuffing mix, especially if I add fresh ingredients. :dunno:
I guess I'll need a cooler. He's about 4 hours drive from my house, so frozen foods would not stay frozen.

And I'll have to try that Wegman's site. I'm only about 2 miles from our Wegmans.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:55 pm

He is very blessed to have family such as you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wave: :yes: :thumbsup:

LandLover

Post by LandLover » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:25 pm

Pixie wrote:He is very blessed to have family such as you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ditto, very!

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:06 pm

LandLover wrote:
Pixie wrote:He is very blessed to have family such as you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ditto, very!
Well, mission accomplished. I just now got back from Altoona. I spent the day with him yesterday and dropped off all of the groceries. He should be set for quite a while. He was very appreciative of what I had done, which made it all worth while.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:24 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Good job, buddy!!!!!!!!!! :wave:

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:18 pm

I'm still worried about him. He was doing OK selling KetchHot at the flea market. But that's closed for the winter now. He's 2 months behind in his rent. He's very poor with money and tends to spend it all before he pays bills. He really has a mental disability. Plus his only pleasure in life seems to come from either food or booze. I just hope I haven't taken on too much. He lives 4 hours away, and I have my own family to think about. He hasn't asked for any money. But he does tell me about his problems.

I'm trying to think of something "crafty" he could make and sell on etsy.com. The "girl" in my group (she's 23) is a little entrepreneur. She has an etsy shop and makes almost an extra $1000 per month selling stuff she makes there. And that's working nights and weekends. She told me she spends almost $200 per week at the post office mailing packages.