PEANUT BUTTER CAKE WITH DARK CHOCOLATE ICING

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:38 pm

Must . . . try . . . this . . . :drool:

This Peanut Butter Cake with Dark Chocolate Icing Recipe may look a little unassuming, but don’t let it fool you. It’s one amazing decadent dessert! Crazy good is what it is. Randy said it was like crack cake (mom, that means he couldn’t stop eating it—we don’t do drugs). And he has a pretty picky palate to please when it comes to desserts. Crack cake. Yep. It’s kinda like that.

INGREDIENTS
6 ounces butter, salted (1½ sticks)
½ cup smooth peanut butter
1 cup boiling water
2 cups flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
2 eggs
½ cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups brown sugar, packed
full recipe of Dark Chocolate Icing

INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat oven to 350-degrees F. Butter and flour (or coat with baking spray) a 18x13-inch jelly-roll pan/baking sheet.

Melt butter in a small saucepan. Whisk in peanut butter until smooth. Gradually stream in boiling water whisking until combined. Remove from heat and let sit for at least 2 minutes.

Meanwhile, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

In a separate large mixing bowl, beat together eggs, buttermilk and vanilla. Whisk in sugar to combine.

Slowly stream in warm butter/peanut butter mixture into the egg/buttermilk mixture, whisk to combine.

Gradually stir in flour mixture and whisk to combined.

Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in a 350-degree F oven for 20-25 minutes or until done.

Pour warm icing over cake, cut and serve.

DARK CHOCOLATE ICING RECIPE

INGREDIENTS
1½ stick butter
5 tablespoons milk
4 tablespoons unsweetened dark cocoa powder (substitute regular cocoa powder if needed)
½ teaspoon instant espresso powder or coffee granules
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

INSTRUCTIONS
Add butter, milk, cocoa powder and espresso/coffee powder to a medium saucepan over low heat, allow butter to totally melt, whisk occasionally until combined and smooth. Remove from heat, gradually add in powdered sugar and vanilla, whisking until smooth.

Pour warm frosting over cake, spread evenly to cover cake until smooth.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Re: PEANUT BUTTER CAKE WITH DARK CHOCOLATE ICING

Post by StarryNightDave » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:33 pm

OMG!

OK, I just made this, and it's FANTASTIC! This is the kind of cake that would go over BIG at any party. Not too hard to make either. The balance of peanut butter to chocolate, plus the fantastic texture of the cake, make this so great.

A real keeper! :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

LandLover

Post by LandLover » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:34 am

How does it cut. Like a carrot cake, thick dense texture or fluffy or ?

Dry, moist, over moist?

Looks like something I want to try.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:44 am

The cake is moist and light. And I think it's best to serve warm as instructed.

What seems to help is the addition of the cup of boiling water. I thought it would turn the melted peanut butter into water, but it fluffed it up a bit. The batter tasted amazing. It's only 1/2 cup of peanut butter, but it's plenty to flavor the cake.

I've never seen dark chocolate cocoa powder, but I'm sure they make it. I used Calebeaut cocoa powder and it turned out great. I let the icing cool till I could touch the bottom of the pan with my hand and then poured it over the cake.

I let my 2 dogs lick the batter bowl, because there was no chocolate, and I heard growling at one point. :lol: I think they liked it too.

I plan to microwave the cooled pieces for about 15 seconds to warm them.

Oh - I did not have an 18 X 13 inch jelly roll pan. I had a 15 x 10 inch pan and it turned out great. I didn't even reduce the baking time. Mine came out perfect at about 23 minutes.

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:36 am

Dark Cocoa is a generic term for Dutch Processed as opposed to Natural Processed (Hershey's).

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:12 pm

Pixie wrote:Dark Cocoa is a generic term for Dutch Processed as opposed to Natural Processed (Hershey's).
Oh - I see. Look what I found.

The difference between Dutch-processed and natural cocoa powder:

Cocoa powder is just cocoa powder, right? It’s just roasted cacao beans that have been ultra pulverized for cake and cupcake purposes, that’s all. Not exactly.

There is a fundamental difference between Dutch-processed and natural cocoa powder. The difference is acid. Yea! We’re talking about acid reactions again, this time by way of cocoa powder. Who knew that cocoa powder was acidic? Well.. now we do! It’s worth understanding.

Dutch-processed cocoa powder is cocoa powder that has been washed in a potassium solution that neutralizes its acidity. The Dutching process also gives the cocoa powder a darker color. Dutch-processed cocoa powder in baking is usually paired with baking powder because, as mentioned in The Difference Between Baking Soda and Baking Powder, the baking powder takes care of the acid component in leavening our baked goods.

Was that too many words? Here’s a breakdown: Dutch-processed cocoa powder, acids stripped, dark color, reach for the baking powder!

Natural cocoa powder is cocoa that has not had its acid stripped. Natural cocoa powder is usually lighter in color, and because it has all of its acids in tact, it is usually paired with baking soda because the metallic taste that is released in the sodium carbonate of baking soda is mellowed by the acid in natural cocoa powder. Natural cocoa powder is what is typically found in American grocery stores. We’re talking Hershey’s Cocoa Powder… that’s natural cocoa.

Too many words again. Here’s a breakdown: natural cocoa powder, acids present, light in color, grab that baking soda!

What if a recipe only calls for ‘cocoa powder’? This happens all the time, right ? Take a look at the recipe. Does it call for a majority of baking powder or baking soda. If the recipe is mostly leavened by baking powder, reach for the Dutch-processed cocoa. If it’s a baking soda heavy recipe, go for natural cocoa powder!

In my experience, most American recipes that call for ‘cocoa powder’ are generally referring to natural cocoa powder.

Are Dutch-processed and natural cocoa powder interchangeable in a recipe? Well… not exactly. As with any baking recipe, it’s best to follow it as written. When we make substitutions, we start fussing with the taste and texture. In a pinch, you can substitute natural cocoa powder if you’re out of Dutch-processed cocoa powder. Although, it’s not a good idea to substitute Dutch-processed cocoa when you’re out of natural cocoa powder. We’d be missing those precious acids!

From http://joythebaker.com/2013/10/baking-1 ... oa-powder/

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Sun May 10, 2015 10:15 pm

So . . .

I made this for Mother's Day. My wife just loves chocolate. And this cake is just amazing. It's almost half gone already. :TTC:

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Mon May 11, 2015 2:09 am

StarryNightDave wrote:So . . .

I made this for Mother's Day. My wife just loves chocolate. And this cake is just amazing. It's almost half gone already. :TTC:
So are you going to let her have a piece? After all, it was Mother's Day. :teehee:

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Mon May 11, 2015 10:07 am

Well, maybe. :hmm: She has been good this year.

But seriously - this is one of the best quick cakes you can make. The texture of the peanut butter cake is just wonderful. I used a 10 X 15 inch pan and baked for just 20 minutes. Turned out very moist.

And my goggie Mattie had lots of fun licking the peanut butter batter bowl again.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:42 pm

iamlookingup wrote:I don't have any instant coffee. :sad: Can I use something else? :hmm:

Also, do you have a good recipe for a buttermilk cake? I found this one,but was wondering if you have another one?
I had an awesome recipe that got lost when we moved. :cry:
Wow - didn't see this till now.

I think you can just leave the coffee out. The other chocolate cake recipe I posted uses buttermilk. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=48348 It's now my favorite cake recipe - for chocolate.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Sat May 13, 2017 3:56 pm

This has been requested for Mother's Day! I think of all the cakes I make, this one is everyone's favorite.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sun May 14, 2017 9:08 am

StarryNightDave wrote:This has been requested for Mother's Day! I think of all the cakes I make, this one is everyone's favorite.
I love anything with brown sugar and dark chocolate. If I wasn't so lazy I would definitely make it.

I know it doesn't have blueberries in the ingredients list, but what are those things that look like blueberries?

:dunno:

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Sun May 14, 2017 12:45 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
StarryNightDave wrote:This has been requested for Mother's Day! I think of all the cakes I make, this one is everyone's favorite.
I love anything with brown sugar and dark chocolate. If I wasn't so lazy I would definitely make it.

I know it doesn't have blueberries in the ingredients list, but what are those things that look like blueberries?

Blueberries? Are you in the right thread? :lol:

But seriously, that's all chocolate and cake crumbs.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:45 am

StarryNightDave wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:

Blueberries? Are you in the right thread? :lol:

I checked to be sure, and I was in the right thread. Right under the chocolate I see little round things, and they are blue.

But seriously, that's all chocolate and cake crumbs.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Mon May 15, 2017 11:11 am

Hmmmm. How old is your computer monitor? Your colors may be off.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:39 pm

StarryNightDave wrote:Hmmmm. How old is your computer monitor? Your colors may be off.
Actually, it is only 3 years old. But I just had cataract surgery, and the doctor said colors would look brighter. Maybe that's it. :hmm:

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Tue May 16, 2017 4:03 pm

iamlookingup wrote:
StarryNightDave wrote:Hmmmm. How old is your computer monitor? Your colors may be off.
:shock: Did you just say that CY1 is a little bit off?? :ialu:

:teehee:
:lol: