Eat Well on $4 a Day

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Re: Eat Well on $4 a Day

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:10 am

iamlookingup wrote::hmm: Good and Cheap

:dunno: I dunno if I trust that the meals are truly less than $4, but it's worth checking out. She wrote this book for people who live on food stamps, to prove that you don't have to eat crap just because you're poor.
The big question is "how many people is $4 supposed to feed." I don't know who the author of that book is, but I'd say she is the one who is full of crap.The food that is best for you such as meat, fruits and vegeatables cost wayyy more than the rest of the stuff such as pasta, other carbs, and junk food. Otherwise how would the poor people be so overweight?

LandLover

Post by LandLover » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:16 am

ConsrvYank1 wrote:

:dunno: I dunno if I trust that the meals are truly less than $4, but it's worth checking out. She wrote this book for people who live on food stamps, to prove that you don't have to eat crap just because you're poor.
The big question is "how many people is $4 supposed to feed." I don't know who the author of that book is, but I'd say she is the one who is full of crap.The food that is best for you such as meat, fruits and vegeatables cost wayyy more than the rest of the stuff such as pasta, other carbs, and junk food. Otherwise how would the poor people be so overweight?
People are overweight because they choose the wrong food. You can eat celery, lettuce and carrots (or) you can get a burger from McDonald's. The woman created it to show that you can eat healthy for the same or less than you spend on cheap junk.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:42 am

I'll have to look into that

I don't live on food stamps, however after about 10 years of budget and nutrition analysis, I have been able to keep each of my meals between $1.50 and $3.00 each, except for entertaining. One-Pot meals and casseroles tend to be pretty economical, especially on energy. I also make my own bread, mostly Sourdough.

I also eat pretty much everything, and cook everything I eat.

It isn't easy these days because I eat fairly well, yet I keep my weight right where it should be +5 or 6 pounds. Fats & Oils are used quite sparingly.

And I do know that since 2009, the cost of my groceries has gone up 35 to 40%.

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:52 pm

LandLover wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:

People are overweight because they choose the wrong food. You can eat celery, lettuce and carrots (or) you can get a burger from McDonald's. The woman created it to show that you can eat healthy for the same or less than you spend on cheap junk.
I'm not buying that healthy foods are cheaper than fatty foods, at least not where I ever lived.Comparing carrots, lettuce and celery to a burger at McDonald's is like comparing apples and oranges. A plate of pasta is not going to cost as much as a steak or a piece of chicken. I saw blueberries at Walmart's a few weeks ago, they were $6 for the smallest container there is. :shock:

LandLover

Post by LandLover » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:05 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
LandLover wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:

I'm not buying that healthy foods are cheaper than fatty foods, at least not where I ever lived.Comparing carrots, lettuce and celery to a burger at McDonald's is like comparing apples and oranges. A plate of pasta is not going to cost as much as a steak or a piece of chicken. I saw blueberries at Walmart's a few weeks ago, they were $6 for the smallest container there is. :shock:
And it also depends on who you are talking to. Some people think that meat is unhealthy food.

I grew up on beans, rice, and tortillas. Cheap, and I'm not dead. :dunno:

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:57 am

"They" are saying now that the problems with the high-fat diets being bad for our hearts was based on faulty data and not true. (Think global warming).
Cutting back on butter, cream and fatty meats may have done more harm to heart health than good.

Experts say the belief that high-fat diets are bad for arteries is based on faulty interpretation of scientific studies and has led to millions being ‘over-medicated’ with statin drugs.

Doctors insist it is time to bust the myth of the role of saturated fat in heart disease.

Some western nations, such as Sweden, are now adopting dietary guidelines that encourage foods high in fat but low in carbs.

Cardiologist Aseem Malhotra says almost four decades of advice to cut back on saturated fats found in cream, butter and less lean meat has ‘paradoxically increased our cardiovascular risks’.
The whole story here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... eries.html