Recipe for....

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Recipe for....

Post by tattulip » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:42 pm

disaster!

That's what it is when I cook and that's why I don't cook. I used to cook for an "army" and it was pretty decent home made meals. :dunno: I'm either out of practice, have a bad attitude or just hate it too much anymore.

So Saturday, I had a thousand things to do and didn't get home until 5 and had to make a Caesar salad for a party on Sunday.

I am making homemade croutons. I was baking them and decided they were getting too dry so I turned on the broiler.

tattulip+broilers do not equal success! I turned around for a second (I swear it was only a second!) :mrgreen: and my croutons started burning. Well, of course the smoke alarms start going off - they are so sensitive! :ialu: I opened the front and back doors to air out the place. I had to put Merle in the garage first because I think that sound is actually painful to him!

Well, there was a nice breeze in Iowa on Saturday per usual and the dust bunnies started rolling out from under my furniture (I haven't cleaned for awhile :embarrassed: ) The back door kept blowing shut HARD so I got a stool to prop it open. Then I get my REALLY TALL bar stool out to push the button the smoke alarm. WHY DO THEY PUT THOSE ON VAULTED CEILINGS!??! :tearhair: So I risk life and limb shutting that thing off 'cause I was right next to the short wall that separates the stairway. I could have fallen off the bar stool all the way down the stairs! :shock:

So I get the smoke alarm shut off and go get Merle out of the garage...well apparently, the sound scared the piss out of him cause that's what he did on the garage floor. :shakehead: So I clean that up and go back in the house to shut the doors. The wind had blown a topiary off the shelf by the door so I cleaned up that mess.

I'm not cooking anymore!!!! :faint:

Fatherducque

Re: Recipe for....

Post by Fatherducque » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:30 pm

:teehee:

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:16 pm

Just sayin'

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:21 pm

StarryNightDave wrote:Image
Just sayin'
Yeah, if it was just for myself, that's what I would buy. But I was trying to make this salad extra special good. Besides, aren't those croutons hard as a rock!

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:27 pm

:lol: Yeah. But they aren't burnt.

Did you put oil or butter on the bread? That helps a lot. Check this out . . .

Easy Crunchy Garlic Croutons Recipe

Tips for Success: Croutons are a great garnish for green salads and (as with any croutons), toss them in at the very last minute to prevent them from getting soggy. You want your bread to be at least a day old. It’ll be easier to cut and holds it’s shape better. We used my mom’s ultra soft wheat bread (here’s the video and photo tutorial). You could also use a basic french bread with great results.

Ingredients for Garlic Croutons:
3/4 lb loaf of bread, (5 cups of bread cubes)
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 medium garlic cloves, pressed
1 Tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped, or 1 tsp dried parsley
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

How to Make Crunchy Garlic Croutons:
1. In a small sauce pan, combine: 2 Tbsp butter, 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 3 pressed garlic cloves, 1 Tbsp chopped parsley and 1/2 tsp pepper. Heat over medium heat until butter is melted. Stir to combine then set aside and let the flavors infuse into the oil while you chop your bread.

2. Cut your bread into 3/4″ cubes. For goodness sake, don’t remove the crust! It adds variety and great crunch to these croutons. Transfer to large mixing bowl.

3. Drizzle the seasoned olive oil over your chopped bread and toss until bread crumbs have an even coating of oil.

4. Spread the bread in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake at 375˚F for 18-20 minutes until they are golden brown and crunchy. (mine took 20 min)

Lots more photos at the link.

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:57 pm

I have better success when I fry them than when I bake them.

Just heat up equal parts of olive oil and butter in a frying pan to cover the bottom of the pan.

Toss the bread cubes in a bowl with some olive oil salt pepper and Parmesan cheese (just enough olive oil to help the bread cubes hold the salt and pepper and Parmesan cheese).

Add the bread cubes to the heated oil THEN add some minced garlic and toss until golden brown all over.

:)

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:03 pm

Deep fat frying works well too!

Dip them in a batter if you want extra crispy.

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:18 pm

I think frying them keeps them more moist. They taste better to me.

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:46 pm

tattulip wrote:disaster!

That's what it is when I cook and that's why I don't cook. I used to cook for an "army" and it was pretty decent home made meals. :dunno: I'm either out of practice, have a bad attitude or just hate it too much anymore.

So Saturday, I had a thousand things to do and didn't get home until 5 and had to make a Caesar salad for a party on Sunday.

I am making homemade croutons. I was baking them and decided they were getting too dry so I turned on the broiler.

tattulip+broilers do not equal success! I turned around for a second (I swear it was only a second!) :mrgreen: and my croutons started burning. Well, of course the smoke alarms start going off - they are so sensitive! :ialu: I opened the front and back doors to air out the place. I had to put Merle in the garage first because I think that sound is actually painful to him!

Well, there was a nice breeze in Iowa on Saturday per usual and the dust bunnies started rolling out from under my furniture (I haven't cleaned for awhile :embarrassed: ) The back door kept blowing shut HARD so I got a stool to prop it open. Then I get my REALLY TALL bar stool out to push the button the smoke alarm. WHY DO THEY PUT THOSE ON VAULTED CEILINGS!??! :tearhair: So I risk life and limb shutting that thing off 'cause I was right next to the short wall that separates the stairway. I could have fallen off the bar stool all the way down the stairs! :shock:

So I get the smoke alarm shut off and go get Merle out of the garage...well apparently, the sound scared the piss out of him cause that's what he did on the garage floor. :shakehead: So I clean that up and go back in the house to shut the doors. The wind had blown a topiary off the shelf by the door so I cleaned up that mess.

Next time you feel like making anything, make "reservations." :mrgreen:

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet

Post by tattulip » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:12 am

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
tattulip wrote:disaster!

Next time you feel like making anything, make "reservations." :mrgreen:
:yes:

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet

Post by tattulip » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:13 am

Pixie wrote:I have better success when I fry them than when I bake them.

Just heat up equal parts of olive oil and butter in a frying pan to cover the bottom of the pan.

Toss the bread cubes in a bowl with some olive oil salt pepper and Parmesan cheese (just enough olive oil to help the bread cubes hold the salt and pepper and Parmesan cheese).

Add the bread cubes to the heated oil THEN add some minced garlic and toss until golden brown all over.

:)
The recipe called for them to be fried but I had so many I decided to bake them instead. SEEMED like a better idea!

I have a NutriBullet. I put olive oil and garlic cloves in it and liquified the garlic cloves and then drizzled that on torn French bread. Tasty stuff!!

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun May 18, 2014 12:03 am

My croutons never fail, unless I go out and forget to turn off the stove.

Once cubed Day Old Bread is seasoned with the classic seasonings for Caesar, I lightly toss them in clarified Butter, place them on paper Towels in a Cookie Sheet, and into the oven at ~300 Deg until very light golden.

I use a French Bread, the heavier and artisan breads can come out like little bricks.

LandLover

Post by LandLover » Sun May 18, 2014 7:53 am

tattulip wrote: I am making homemade croutons.
:shock: :drool: :highfive:

This reminds me of my good friend. She makes everything from scratch. The first time I saw her make chicken soup I was amazed. Back then I thought chicken soup meant get out the can opener, bowl, pour, heat.

She used an actual chicken.

I have gotten better at cooking in my old age. I made my first lasagna the other day. Not too bad. It never crossed my mind to "make" croutons. I'll have to give this a shot.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet

Post by tattulip » Sun May 18, 2014 9:39 am

LandLover wrote:
tattulip wrote: I am making homemade croutons.
:shock: :drool: :highfive:

This reminds me of my good friend. She makes everything from scratch. The first time I saw her make chicken soup I was amazed. Back then I thought chicken soup meant get out the can opener, bowl, pour, heat.

She used an actual chicken.

I have gotten better at cooking in my old age. I made my first lasagna the other day. Not too bad. It never crossed my mind to "make" croutons. I'll have to give this a shot.
Don't turn your back on them! :teehee:

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sun May 18, 2014 12:08 pm

iamlookingup wrote:
LandLover wrote:... I made my first lasagna the other day....
:shock: :faint:

Lasagna is just about the ONLY thing I know how to make! :embarrassed:
Make me some. :dinner:

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Mon May 19, 2014 9:06 am

iamlookingup wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
iamlookingup wrote:

:lol: I would if I could. It's the only thing I can make. :ohwell:

Oh, and did I mention that my family hates lasagna? :cry:
Try deep fat frying it!

LandLover

Post by LandLover » Mon May 19, 2014 9:18 am

Fatherducque wrote:
iamlookingup wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
iamlookingup wrote:

:lol: I would if I could. It's the only thing I can make. :ohwell:

Oh, and did I mention that my family hates lasagna? :cry:
Try deep fat frying it!
:laugh:

Well, I never even ate lasagna til I was a grown up. Was raised by a mexican so we mostly had beans, rice, torts, tamales, enchiladas etc.
I remember the first time I ate Chicken & Dumplings, also remember my first omelette ---- I knew white people food was different. My favorite breakfast when I was growing up was migas or chorizo.