Bean Recipes

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Bean Recipes

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:30 am

Because of the high cost of meat I am looking for some bean recipes. Lima beans make me gag so I can't use those. Actually, other than baked beans and lima beans, I don't think I have ever had any. I am probably not going to like them much as I am definetely not a rice and beans kind of person. Who knows maybe I will surprise myself. I am definetely not into cooking anymore, so please keep it simple without a thousand ingredients.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Re: Bean Recipes

Post by tattulip » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:35 am

I really like this salad!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mexican-bean-salad/

Ham and bean soup would be cheap and hearty.

Since you will be eating a lot of beans, I am glad I do not live with you. :laugh:

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:46 am

tattulip wrote:I really like this salad!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mexican-bean-salad/

Ham and bean soup would be cheap and hearty.

Since you will be eating a lot of beans, I am glad I do not live with you. :laugh:

This is even better than I hoped for. I thought I was going to have to buy bags of beans, rinse them, check them out to see if there's something in there that shouldn't be, rinse them overnight, and FINALLY cook.

I am going to be the very nice person I always am, and ignore the last comment. :angel: BTW, why would anybody buy the bag of beans since they come in a can? :headscratch:

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:12 pm

Here you go. The best!

http://www.camelliabrand.com/recipes/ca ... red-beans/

Substitute 1/2-1 lb of smoked kielbasa (thinly sliced) for the suggested meat. If you can get the Camellia beans, they are the best. If not, don't sweat it, just dip out a 1/4 cup of beans when almost cooked, mash them, and stir them back in before serving. See the "cooking tip" in the right margin.

This is far better than it sounds.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:54 pm

Fatherducque wrote:Here you go. The best!

Substitute 1/2-1 lb of smoked kielbasa (thinly sliced) for the suggested meat. If you can get the Camellia beans, they are the best. If not, don't sweat it, just dip out a 1/4 cup of beans when almost cooked, mash them, and stir them back in before serving. See the "cooking tip" in the right margin.

I am not sure I can get that particular brand, but I will look for it.

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:41 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:

Then use whatever you can find. They will work just fine. Just add the mashing step!

trailboss

Post by trailboss » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:36 am

Using the leftover liquid from this recipe (set the pork aside), really makes a great pot of pinto beans...I always get accolades when feeding friends and family.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=41037

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:20 pm

Attention Southern cooks:

None of you have a thing to worry about. I suck! I decided to try something today. Unfortunately I didn't have all the ingredients for the recipes you gave me, so I had to do something else until I got to the store again.

When I went shopping Friday, I picked up some pinto beans, and ham hocks. I had no clue what I was going to do with them, so I started with the ham hocks. I put them in a pan, turned on the stove, and waited for them to cook. 30 minutes later nothing was happening so I decided to do a search on how to cook them . I didn't know you had to put water in the pan. I put the water in and cooked them for about 2 hours. I think I forgot to do womething, I will be back later.

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:52 pm

Call HAZMAT

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:21 pm

Fatherducque wrote:Call HAZMAT

:laugh: :rofl2: :lolh: :rofl: :lol:

Ok, I am too tired to go into it, but the best thing i can say about what I made is that it is certainly filling. Maybe the taste will be better when I make one of the posted recipes.

I had no idea beans were so good for you, especially if you use pinto beans and combine it with brown rice, which I did.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... ce&dbid=89

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:29 pm

:thumbsup:

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:20 am

Would you believe I have not been able to find packaged red kidney beans, only the kind in the can. Would that make any difference? And I went to 3 stores! :angry:

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:01 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:

Would you believe I have not been able to find packaged red kidney beans, only the kind in the can. Would that make any difference? And I went to 3 stores! :angry:
They work just fine.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:00 pm

Fatherducque wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:

Then use whatever you can find. They will work just fine. Just add the mashing step!
I finally did find the red kidney beans in the package. I had the ham, so I used that instead of the kielbasa. I made it today. I think I am going to have to find another way to save money, because this just doesn't work for me. Maybe this is something you either have to grow up with, or maybe it's an acquired taste?

Thanks for the recipes. Hey, at least I tried it, right?