Fried whole belly clams

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Fried whole belly clams

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:42 am

Anybody have a recipe?

falvegas

Re: Fried whole belly clams

Post by falvegas » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:31 pm

I grew up with Fried Clams [no, not clam strips]. In fact I have to fly back to Boston to get the real thing.

We all used my Grandmother's Recipe [which was never written down].

FRIED CLAMS [Boston Style, North Shore]
Note: There are Soft Clams and Hard Clams. Use Soft Clams for Fried Clams[Ipswich, Maine, similar whole belly clams]. Hard Clams like [Quahogs] are used mostly for Chowders and Stews, do not use these for fried clams.
** Shuck about One Dozen [fresh] Soft Whole Belly Clams.
** Roll them in Cracker Meal, then in Beaten Eggs (with a little milk stirred in), finally in Bread Crumbs w/Salt.
Note: I don’t know if Nabisco still makes Cracker Meal. If not try Masa Harina or Pulse some Panko Bread Crumbs in a Food Processor until Fine.
** Fry for two minutes in batches, in hot frying Oil [~350 F Deg] to a fine color [Tan coloer].
** Dress on a folded napkin and garnish with whole parsley [optional] and two quarters of a lemon.

Can also consider serving as a Clam Roll in a Hot Dog style Bun, bit of fine shredded lettuce, and with a Tatar Sauce or equivalent.

Actually: My grandmother would fry her Clams in Lard.

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:16 pm

I knew if anyone was going to have a recipe it would be you! :lolh: :thumbsup:

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:19 pm

falvegas wrote:I grew up with Fried Clams [no, not clam strips]. In fact I have to fly back to Boston to get the real thing.

We all used my Grandmother's Recipe [which was never written down].

FRIED CLAMS [Boston Style, North Shore]
Note: There are Soft Clams and Hard Clams. Use Soft Clams for Fried Clams[Ipswich, Maine, similar whole belly clams]. Hard Clams like [Quahogs] are used mostly for Chowders and Stews, do not use these for fried clams.
** Shuck about One Dozen [fresh] Soft Whole Belly Clams.
** Roll them in Cracker Meal, then in Beaten Eggs (with a little milk stirred in), finally in Bread Crumbs w/Salt.
Note: I don’t know if Nabisco still makes Cracker Meal. If not try Masa Harina or Pulse some Panko Bread Crumbs in a Food Processor until Fine.
** Fry for two minutes in batches, in hot frying Oil [~350 F Deg] to a fine color [Tan coloer].
** Dress on a folded napkin and garnish with whole parsley [optional] and two quarters of a lemon.

Can also consider serving as a Clam Roll in a Hot Dog style Bun, bit of fine shredded lettuce, and with a Tatar Sauce or equivalent.

Actually: My grandmother would fry her Clams in Lard.

This is my second to most favorite dish in the world. :drool: I have not had them since I moved out of New England over 10 years ago. So I did a search of where I could buy the right kind of clams, and sure enough, I can get them shipped to me from New England.

There are lots of recipes online for this dish, but I just wanted to check and see if anybody here has ever made them. Not surprised it was you. :teehee: Thanks a bunch!

BTW, I agree with you about clam strips. Awful.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:53 pm

Pixie wrote:I knew if anyone was going to have a recipe it would be you! :lolh: :thumbsup:

I know, Pix, it's like all the classic proven dishes; there are literally dozens of recipes for each, all with variances all over the map....sometimes it upsets me.

Always good to know the 'Original' and stick to it close as possible. :wave:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:49 am

:yes: I agree 100%!

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:18 pm

When we went to New England, I ordered clams repeatedly. Until we reached Maine. Then I shifted to lobster.

I was talked into having a lobster roll in Plymouth, against my better intentions. It was good.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:08 pm

Well, from Ducksbury Beach all the way to the North Shore [say Ipswich] Soft Clams and Quahogs are abundant, AND A LOT CHEAPER THAN LOBSTER.

As boys we'd walk along the beaches with a Lemon in our pocket, see the bubbles, reach in and pull out a clam, rinse it in the ocean, shuck it, and pop em in out mouth. Lots of things were free in those days. Grapes, Raspberries, Blueberries, Blackberries, and apples grew wild along the roadsides and in the meadows.

Later, as the coast got overpopulated and over processed, the stories started about the Red Tides, and a few other problems with local shellfish.

With Lobsters [6 kids in my family] we'd go up the Lynn Marsh Road and buy Lobsters by the Bushell, for $0.99 each...chicken lobsters.

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:05 pm

falvegas wrote:Well, from Ducksbury Beach all the way to the North Shore [say Ipswich] Soft Clams and Quahogs are abundant, AND A LOT CHEAPER THAN LOBSTER.

As boys we'd walk along the beaches with a Lemon in our pocket, see the bubbles, reach in and pull out a clam, rinse it in the ocean, shuck it, and pop em in out mouth. Lots of things were free in those days. Grapes, Raspberries, Blueberries, Blackberries, and apples grew wild along the roadsides and in the meadows.

Later, as the coast got overpopulated and over processed, the stories started about the Red Tides, and a few other problems with local shellfish.

With Lobsters [6 kids in my family] we'd go up the Lynn Marsh Road and buy Lobsters by the Bushell, for $0.99 each...chicken lobsters.
I didn't know you were from Massachusetts. BTW, it's Duxbury... :teehee:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:56 pm

abbi wrote:
falvegas wrote:Well, from Ducksbury Beach all the way to the North Shore [say Ipswich] Soft Clams and Quahogs are abundant, AND A LOT CHEAPER THAN LOBSTER.

Ya, I often miss spell things, I really don't review what I write very much...unless I'm paid for it.

Well Abbi, all you have to do is observe my Avatar. That's the Town I'm from.

Our family, there were 6 kids, had a lot of summer Clam Bakes in the North Shore; Ipswich - Sandy Point, Gloucester around Essex, Cranes Beach. Starting after Sun Up, it took a lot of people to set the Pit, gather Rocks & Wood [brought some with us], get the fire started, wrap the Lobsters, Corn, Potatoes, Clams Sausages, etc....then about Noon, Yum. In college we'd have beach parties down the South Shore at Duxbury ...really crazy parties.

But seafood was a way of life, it was beach food; lobster rolls, fried clams, pepper steak rolls etc. now the damn stuff has become a luxury.

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:54 pm

falvegas wrote:
abbi wrote:

Ya, I often miss spell things, I really don't review what I write very much...unless I'm paid for it.

Our family, there were 6 kids, had a lot of summer Clam Bakes in the North Shore; Ipswich - Sandy Point, Gloucester around Essex, Cranes Beach. Starting after Sun Up, it took a lot of people to set the Pit, gather Rocks & Wood [brought some with us], get the fire started, wrap the Lobsters, Corn, Potatoes, Clams Sausages, etc....then about Noon, Yum. In college we'd have beach parties down the South Shore at Duxbury ...really crazy parties.

But seafood was a way of life, it was beach food; lobster rolls, fried clams, pepper steak rolls etc. now the damn stuff has become a luxury.
Awesome!!! The best seafood is there. I went back for a wedding December 31st and brought home cod, flounder and sword fish. The cod is sooooooooooooooo good. That's all I have cooked so far.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:48 pm

abbi wrote:
falvegas wrote:
abbi wrote:

Awesome!!! The best seafood is there. I went back for a wedding December 31st and brought home cod, flounder and sword fish. The cod is sooooooooooooooo good. That's all I have cooked so far.
Ya never figured out my home town from the Avatar....tsk..tsk

SO YA HAVE SOME YANKEE 'COD'. Good show.
When we made 'New England Fish Chowder' we made it with 'Cod' for the Family, and 'Haddock' for special guests.

If ya want an original NE Fish Chowder Recipe, let me know.

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:45 am

falvegas wrote:
abbi wrote:
falvegas wrote:
abbi wrote:

When we made 'New England Fish Chowder' we made it with 'Cod' for the Family, and 'Haddock' for special guests.

I would love that recipe. I love cod.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:07 am

abbi wrote:
falvegas wrote:
abbi wrote:
falvegas wrote:
abbi wrote:

I would love that recipe. I love cod.
It's on Page 2, April 29, 2013 - New England Fish Chowder

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:30 am

ConsrvYank1 wrote:Anybody have a recipe?
This dish is getting to be wayyyy too expensive. First, I ordered a pan for $50 to cook them in, which I really wouldn't need for anything else. I was going to order 2 lbs. of the clams for another $50. The deciding factor was the $55 Fed-Ex charge. No go. The pan is going back to the store. Why can't I just like seafood that has no shell like everybody else? :teehee:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:21 am

Awwww!!!!!!!!!! :givehug:

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:56 am

So, can you get clams without a whole belly?

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:25 pm

StarryNightDave wrote:So, can you get clams without a whole belly?
Yes, actually you can, they are used for clam strips. But they are dry and tough, not at all like the ones I wanted to make.