Millet

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
Fatherducque

Re: Millet

Post by Fatherducque » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:33 pm

iamlookingup wrote:One option for millet.

I'm trying to find something we can eat for breakfast that is cheap and easy to prepare. Something gluten free if possible.

Are any of you familiar with millet? :dunno:
How about eggs? Protein is good in the morning.

Over in Asia I got real fond of noodles or rice in the morning. A bit of noodle soup and a few bits of chicken is great in the AM

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:51 pm

That's tough. Leaving something hot will be difficult.

There's always cereal, or toast/bagels.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:17 pm

Wow! Seems like I'm hearing more and more about gluten, and how it is just not good for us.

I guess hundreds of years ago, with stone ground flour, the amount of gluten they got wasn't nearly as high as our intake. Plus, we know that food manufacturers ADD gluten to many foods, including some dog foods. I think it helps preserve some foods, and they can say it's "natural". But they are using it in an unnatural way.

My Sister says her aches and pains go away when she avoids gluten.

I do know that some of the Chex cereals are gluten free. I love corn Chex. In fact, they have 7 gluten-free cereals.

http://chex.com/Recipes/GlutenFree.aspx ... ten%20free

Not sure if that helps.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:19 pm

iamlookingup wrote:One option for millet.

I'm trying to find something we can eat for breakfast that is cheap and easy to prepare. Something gluten free if possible.

Are any of you familiar with millet? :dunno:

Millet is good, especially if you eat like a Bird. :lol:

Seriously: For Breakfast my favorites are Oats, Wild Rice w/Rice, and various types of Corn including Meal & Grits. Quinoa is very nutritious but not one of my personal favorites.

For Breakfast I will often fry [left over] Rice/Wild Rice in a small skillet and drop an Egg or two on top.

This site lists 10 Gluten Free Products.
http://www.listproducer.com/2011/08/30/ ... -everyone/

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:13 pm

My Son Chris said that he used to get an unusual breakfast from street vendors when he lived in China. It was an egg pancake, and you could choose what to put in it. Kind of like an omelet, but not an omelet. But they also would add a crunchy cereal like Chex. You could also add veggies, and he would ask for hot sauce too. You could make something like that without any gluten or dairy.

Egg Pancake Rolls, Chinese and Taiwanese Street Food

The egg pancakes do call for flour. But you can substitute brown or white rice flour. You can also try soybean, chick pea, almond, hazelnut, and peanut flours. They are high protein non-grain options.

Read more: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2 ... z2tEeLu9yP

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:56 pm

iamlookingup wrote:
StarryNightDave wrote:Wow! Seems like I'm hearing more and more about gluten, and how it is just not good for us.

I guess hundreds of years ago, with stone ground flour, the amount of gluten they got wasn't nearly as high as our intake. Plus, we know that food manufacturers ADD gluten to many foods, including some dog foods. I think it helps preserve some foods, and they can say it's "natural". But they are using it in an unnatural way.

My Sister says her aches and pains go away when she avoids gluten.

I do know that some of the Chex cereals are gluten free. I love corn Chex. In fact, they have 7 gluten-free cereals.

http://chex.com/Recipes/GlutenFree.aspx ... ten%20free

Not sure if that helps.
Did I mention that I'm lactose intolerant, too? :ohwell: :lol:

But I will definitely check that out (again). My mom eats Chex cereal. It's not bad at all. It's just not HOT.

Part of the "beauty" of millet is that it's inexpensive and can be bought in bulk. :)
Is there some reason you don't like Oats? They can be bought in bulk inexpensively, and there's about 10 g protein in a cup. You don't have to use Milk, use a substitute, or a Yogurt, and various fruits to your liking.

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:39 am

iamlookingup wrote:
I need to be able to make breakfast and then leave it for everyone else to eat when they get up. I suppose I could make scrambled eggs, but the kids
aren't too fond of that. :ohwell:

If it was just ME, I'd make eggs every morning. I DO like eggs. :yes: I also need fiber, though...I am old!
As a highly trained engineer, I can assure you that, should you fail to prepare breakfast for the late risers, there is less than a 2% probability that you will find a set of skeletons on the floor when you get home in the evening.

The 2% is to cover piranha filled tsunamis and outbreaks of cannibalism.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:10 pm

My sister makes porridge with Amaranth. Takes a little longer to cook than say traditional porridge with Oatmeal. She uses a variety of different grains, I'm the Oatmeal guy, usually hydrate some fruits in my cereal, but I will use milk and agave.

She uses water with a little coconut milk with her Amaranth, and adds honey or agave as a sweetener. I think she adds some cinnamon.

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:47 pm

You have got to be the best Mom in the world.

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:36 pm

iamlookingup wrote:
Fatherducque wrote:You have got to be the best Mom in the world.
:lol: Why? Because I don't avoid death? :lol:

:teehee:

I know I'm a pushover. But seriously, I'm just trying to nourish them properly, not win any awards. I know how bad I feel when I eat poorly. I'm trying to get them to eat healthier foods that we can afford.
I was neglected as a child. Your kids, luckily, don't know how good they have it. I rather envy them.

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:09 am

If I said "BS" in an explosive fashion, would you take it the wrong way?

:lol:

Mothers nurture. You seem to do the nurture thing really well.

You are also modest. But don't get a swell head about it.

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:00 am

I got nothing on Millet... but, I do have this on make-ahead-eggs and it might help.

One of the guys at work makes these every Sunday, chills them and then brings them to the office in a Tupperware container and microwaves one each morning for breakfast.

If you made these.... in big batches the kids could pull one from the refrigerator and nuke it for breakfast.

I hope this helps. :pixie:

http://ohsnapletseat.com/2013/01/14/a-p ... -ham-cups/

The picture shows one egg scrambled one egg not. I know you mentioned your kids do not like scrambled eggs... so. :)

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:29 pm

:givehug: :wave:

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:29 am

Gruel is cheap!

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:37 am

iamlookingup wrote:
Pixie wrote:I got nothing on Millet... but, I do have this on make-ahead-eggs and it might help.

One of the guys at work makes these every Sunday, chills them and then brings them to the office in a Tupperware container and microwaves one each morning for breakfast.

If you made these.... in big batches the kids could pull one from the refrigerator and nuke it for breakfast.

I hope this helps. :pixie:

http://ohsnapletseat.com/2013/01/14/a-p ... -ham-cups/

The picture shows one egg scrambled one egg not. I know you mentioned your kids do not like scrambled eggs... so. :)
Very cool! Thank you! :cheer:
It's pretty isn't it?

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:49 am

Yes, I agree, I think it is a very pretty dish!