homemade dulce de leche - milk jam

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
StarryNightDave
Mentative

homemade dulce de leche - milk jam

Post by StarryNightDave » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:59 pm

homemade dulce de leche

Dulce de leche translates, literally, a jam of milk, as in, milk jam, as in, milk candy or caramel, as I can’t believe you’re still reading this and not cooking yet. Okay, maybe not that. It’s specific origins are unclear (sure, there’s the typical yarn that seems to accompany all foods — someone was making something and they forgot about it/dropped it/used the wrong flour/etc. and made something better — but I’m suspect of those) but it’s especially popular in South America, notably Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela, all places that I now need to eat my way through with a spoon. There are variants; according to Wikipedia the dulce de leche of El Salvador has a soft, crumbly texture, and is almost crystallized; in Colombia and Venezuela, it’s called “Arequipe” and may contain cornstarch for a custard-like texture; in the Dominican Republic, the texture is more fudge-like (less milk is used); in Puerto Rico, a coconut milk version is apparently popular, but I have found much else about this yet; and in Mexico, cajeta is most popular, which is dulce de leche made with goat’s milk. It’s scope is not limited to South America, however; Indian barfi and peda are both made with condensed milk and is usually cooked until a solid candy is formed; there are flavored versions with gram flour, pistachios, cashews, rose water and/or fruit.

A LOT more info, and the recipe at the above link.

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Re: homemade dulce de leche - milk jam

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:05 pm

If I had read this a few weeks ago, I would have been sure I would have loved it, because I love caramel. I also love apple pie. When one of the grocery stores had a sale on apple pie with caramel, I bought one. A dream come true right? NO! It was so sickeningly sweet I threw out the whole pie. I would have given it to somebody in my apartment complex, but so many are diabetic, I didn't want to be responsible for anybody going into a diabetic coma. And to make matters worse, the topping went all the way through the pie. I wonder what brainiac thought up that recipe? A little of that stuff goes a long way. I hate wasting money! :angry:

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:24 pm

I wish I didn't have to lose weight!!!!

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:49 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:If I had read this a few weeks ago, I would have been sure I would have loved it, because I love caramel. I also love apple pie. When one of the grocery stores had a sale on apple pie with caramel, I bought one. A dream come true right? NO! It was so sickeningly sweet I threw out the whole pie. I would have given it to somebody in my apartment complex, but so many are diabetic, I didn't want to be responsible for anybody going into a diabetic coma. And to make matters worse, the topping went all the way through the pie. I wonder what brainiac thought up that recipe? A little of that stuff goes a long way. I hate wasting money! :angry:
Don't let one bad apple (pie) spoil it all for you. This is "like" caramel. But it's milk-based. And you don't have to use apples.

Reminded me of a recipe where you boil a whole can of condensed milk for like 4 hours. It caramelized the condensed milk and it turns brown in the can.