Oven Baked Fajitas

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Oven Baked Fajitas

Post by tattulip » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:32 am

I really like fajitas but don't like preparing them. I'm going to try this this weekend. Sounds good!

Oven Baked Fajitas

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into strips
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp seasoned salt
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chilies (Rotel)
1 medium onion, sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, cut into strips
1/2 green bell pepper, cut into strips

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place chicken strips in a greased 13×9 baking dish. In a small bowl combine the oil, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, dried oregano, and salt. Drizzle the spice mixture over the chicken and stir to coat.
Next add the tomatoes, peppers, and onions to the dish and stir to combine. Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and the vegetables ‬ are done.

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Oven Baked Fajitas

Post by Pixie » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:33 pm

Hm, to be honest if the fajita didn't have that cast iron skillet sear I don't know if I could consider it a fajita????? For me it has to be seared in a cast iron skillet on high to have that true flavor. :noparty:

But, don't listen to me try it and let us know what you think!!!!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:35 pm

Pixie wrote:Hm, to be honest if the fajita didn't have that cast iron skillet sear I don't know if I could consider it a fajita????? For me it has to be seared in a cast iron skillet on high to have that true flavor. :noparty:

But, don't listen to me try it and let us know what you think!!!!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
:lol: You are probably right but that's why I don't like making them!

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:41 pm

:lolh:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:33 pm

That's a neat [quick] recipe, especialy when ya wanna put somthin together quick, like a crowd shows up.

The long version I use is 'Steak Fajitas' BUT I marinate Flank or Sirloin Steak in Lime Juice, Tequila, Jalapeno, cumin, garlic and a little oil...Overnight. Beer can be used in place of Tequila.

The steak [or chicken if using] is grilled [on BBQ or Ribbed Cast Iron Skillet] The vegies are then grilled in cast iron, the steak is then sliced and added to the skillet just as serving. Serve with warm flour tortillas, and guacamole goes well.

Can also add sliced tomatoes near the end of grilling the vegies.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:08 am

And sour cream goes well too! Excellent recipe!

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:20 pm

That's so true. Sour Cream goes with just about anything, even Southwest and Mexican....on roasted Mexican Vegetables w/Cilantro, on Enchiladas & Burritos, and seasoned with Chipotle or other Chiles for many Southwest dishes including Fish.

Traditionally of course can one can spread or dollop Sour Cream on Sourdough Pancakes-Waffels-French Toast with a good Jam, for Mustard or Horseradish Muslin sauces on Corned Beef & Rib Roasts, on many Hot & Cold Soups, all kinds of Dips for Snacks & Hot Wings, on Pasta dishes and Salad Dressings, of course Beef Stroganoff, and the list is quite long...........

Just love Sour Cream, one of my staples....must be the Russian in me. :)

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:54 pm

:lolh: Of course it's the Russian in you!!!!! :wave:

I can't imagine eating borscht without sour cream!!!!!! YUMMY!!!!

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:27 pm

I've had great succes with Skirt Steak. I put on a dry rub and broil it. I've also broiled chicken breasts for fajitas too. I think it's more the spices that make it. I don't need the sear marks.

I also think the meat turns out more tender if you leave the chicken breasts whole and broil them, and then slice them.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:20 am

StarryNightDave wrote:I've had great succes with Skirt Steak. I put on a dry rub and broil it. I've also broiled chicken breasts for fajitas too. I think it's more the spices that make it. I don't need the sear marks.

I also think the meat turns out more tender if you leave the chicken breasts whole and broil them, and then slice them.
Yep, Skirt Steak is great for this, as any Carne Asada preparation would be.
The marinade is crucial, at least 2 hours, and is more traditional with Tequila & Lime along with the southwest spices in the marinade.

The steak or poultry should be 'whole' when marinated, then seared well on high heat, set aside then sliced into strips when added to the hot vegetable skillet to finish.

I rarely use chicken breasts, mostly trimmed filet Chicken Thighs [personal preference] both are just fine.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:24 am

Pixie wrote::lolh: Of course it's the Russian in you!!!!! :wave:

I can't imagine eating borscht without sour cream!!!!!! YUMMY!!!!

Love Borscht. A few times I’ve also made a creamy Asparagus soup and a creamy Broccoli soup with sour cream,

On the Southwest side; last summer I made a 'Cold Cucumber Soup with Mint & Jalapeno', Topped with Pomegranate & flavored Sour Cream

Also Made a ‘Crema Poblana’ [Creamy Poblano Pepper Soup] made with cooked Poblanos/Onions, corn kernels, chic stock & Sour Cream

For Soutwest Dishes; Simply mixing Sour Cream with a little Lime Juice, pinch Salt and Cilantro is good on many southwest dishes. A dash of Chipotle Hot Sauce kicks it up a bit.

I much prefer Sour Cream than the Mexican Crema which is more watery and served throughout Mexico. Depends on the dish.

I have used Sour Cream to top a Guacamole when serving Fajitas [as you mentioned], also on Chili Relleno, Quesadillas, and on shredded Beef or Pork Burritos [usually lightly seasoned with a Red or Green Sauce].

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:58 am

That Crema Poblana sounds delicious! Right up my culinary alley! :thumbsup:

As you know I do love Southwestern and Mexican food! Love it, love it, love it! I love all the chilies and all the spices and I love just the touch of lime juice they use is so many dishes.

I am making myself hungry! :lolh:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:07 am

For what it's worth; I thought I’d share my personal Recipe for Fajitas. This isn’t the nifty quicker version as, Tattulip’s [which I like], this is more the Southwest Version.

Fajitas have their origin in Texas, and were originally made only with Skirt Steak. Fajitas means ‘little belts’ because after grilling the steak is cut across the grain into strips.

If ya don’t have any Cast Fajita Pans, a regular Cast Iron or Heavy Skillet will do well, provided you have a High Thermal Trivet to place on the table as this must be served hot. Gotta be careful around young ones.

Fajitas a las Falvegas :)

MARINADE INGREDIENTS
¼ Cup fresh Lime Juice
1 Jalapeno Chile, seeded and diced
1 tsp Cumin Seed, crushed
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
2-Tbs Vegetable or Peanut Oil
¼ Cup Tequila or ½ Cup Beer

FAJITA INGREDIENTS
1-1/2 Lb. Skirt, Flank or Top Sirloin Steak
Sea Salt and fresh ground Black Pepper to taste
12 Flour Tortillas [about 8 inched diameter]
2-Tbs Vegetable or Peanut Oil
1 Red Bell Pepper, cored, seeded & julienned
1 Green Pepper, cored, seeded & julienned
1 Yellow Pepper, cored, seeded & julienned
2-Large Jalapenos cored, seeded & julienned [Optional]
1-Cup Red Onion, thinly sliced, preferably into crescents

Accompaniments; Guacamole Recipe [see following attachment], Shredded Jack Cheese, Red Salsa of choice, and diced Tomatoes for garnish.

PROCEDURE
* Mix all marinade ingredients and pour over steak in a non-aluminum container. Marinate 2 hours at room temperature (or) overnight in refrigerator [turn the steak several times].
* Pre Heat Oven to 325 Deg; Very Lightly oil surface of Flour Tortillas and Wrap Tortillas in Tin Foil, place in the Oven. Heat for ~20 Minutes and remove to Warm in a Toaster Oven or Keep warm in a stove pan.
* Remove Steak(s) and lightly pat dry, well Season with Salt & Pepper, and let sit at room Temp at least ½ Hour [only if they were refrigerated].
* Light a BBQ Grill or Heat a Cast Iron or Heavy Skillet with 1 Tbs. Oil on the Stove Top [On High], let come to Temperature. For Stovetop set Exhaust Fan on High.
* Grill [or Sear] Steaks for 6 to 8 minutes per side [depending on thickness] e.g. a 2 inch steak could cook for 8 to 10 minutes per side. Remove from Heat and let sit at least 20 minutes before slicing.
* Heat a Heavy Skillet [preferably a Cast Iron Skillet or use the skillet for the steaks] on High Heat.
* Add 1-Tbs Oil and cook the Peppers and Onions. Saute until the Vegies are al dente and slightly caramelized [!5 minutes].
* Cut the Steak(s) into medium thin strips Across-the-Grain. Add the Steak to the Skillet with the vegetables.
* Combine to heat quickly and serve the Full Skillet with Tortillas to the Table on a substantial trivet.
* Each person fills a Tortilla with the Fajita Mixture using Tongs, and using the Accompaniments [previous] as desired.

GUACAMOLE RECIPE
For ~12 ounces

INGREDIENTS
3 Large Ripe Avocados, peeled & Pitted
2-Tbs Fresh Lime Juice
1-Ripe Tomato, diced
2-Scallions finely chopped
2-Anaheim or New Mexico Green Chiles, finely chopped. Can either roast your own or buy them in a can already roasted, even chopped.
1-Jalapeno Chile, seeded and Minced
¼ Cup Sour Cream
Sea Salt to Taste

PROCEDURE
* In a bowl, Mash the Avocados with the Lime Juice
* Stir in the Tomatoes, Green Onion, Chiles, and Sour Cream
* Taste for Seasoning and salt as needed.
Notes: can add some Tabasco or Cholula Jalapeno [green] Hot Sauce to taste. Sometimes I add minced Cilantro to the mixture.

If storing, store in the refrigerator with the Avocado Pit pressed into the Guacamole (or) sprinkle the top with a little lime or lemon juice to keep it from discoloring.