Gingerbread Eggnog Salted Caramel Pumpkin Pie

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
StarryNightDave
Mentative

Gingerbread Eggnog Salted Caramel Pumpkin Pie

Post by StarryNightDave » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:31 pm

OK, I was kidding about the Salted Caramel. But the rest is true! :lol:

Gingerbread Eggnog Pumpkin Pie

Gingerbread Pie Shell Recipe
Ingredients for the crust

1 box gingerbread mix
2 tbs unbleached flour
2 tbs melted butter

Directions

Prepare as cookies, as directed on the box (stop the prep after refrigeration)
After cooling in the refrigerator break into 2 even balls and roll one out as you would a pie crust on a floured board or pan to 1/4" thick
Flour the top and roll it loosely. Line it up with a 9" pie tin and unroll it, pressing down and making sure there are no spaces between the shell and the tin. Cut the dough hanging off the edges
Use the extra dough for the top of the pie, another pie crust, or use the rest for some yummy gingerbread men you can bite the heads off of

Eggnog Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Ingredients for the filling

1 prepared pie crust
1 can pumpkin puree
3 eggs
1 cup eggnog
1 stick of unsalted butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp salt

Directions

Preheat oven to 425F
Beat the eggs then add all the other ingredients (except the pie crust, of course)
Mix till everything is smooth and incorporated
Pour into unbaked pie crust (there will be extra batter) and place on top of a cookie tray to catch any drips (if any)
Use the extra gingerbread to make the top of your pie (optional). Roll out the rest of the gingerbread dough, like you did the pie crust. In the middle of the crust, cut a cute shape (like a tree) or use whatever cookie cutter(s) you have. Loosely roll the crust up, center the design over the top of the cake and lay it there. Unroll to the edges slowly. Cut off the excess dough and crimp the edges with a fork
Put in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Lower the heat to 350F and bake for another 40-50 minutes or until the filling if cooked through and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean

Some notes: Rotate your pie halfway through the cooking time. My oven's hotter towards the back so the crust ended up burnt in that area. Make sure none of your crimping curls around the edges of your pan. And if you have a crust over the top of the pie the filling will take longer to cook.

This was the first time I made it with a crust over the top. Maybe next time I'll bake it covered with foil for the first 30 minutes of so. - See more at: http://www.thumbinplum.com/2012/12/ging ... 8uXNP.dpuf

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Re: Gingerbread Eggnog Salted Caramel Pumpkin Pie

Post by StarryNightDave » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:03 pm

iamlookingup wrote::hmm: How do you and Pixie and Falvegas keep from weighing a million pounds? :dunno: :lol:

I LOVE food. If I cook it, I MUST eat it, so I just don't cook anything anymore. :cry:
Never tell yourself you are on a diet!!!!! If you want something - eat it! Don't deny yourself. The message your body gets is . . .

OMG! We are in a famine and I must PUT ON MORE WEIGHT!

I know this to be true.

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:41 pm

I agree with Dave 100% on this, I eat everything but not a lot of it.

I have never been a big eater.

trailboss

Post by trailboss » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:57 pm

SND is diabolical...he is obviously being paid off by lap band producers.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:06 pm

trailboss wrote:SND is diabolical...he is obviously being paid off by lap band producers.
Yes, but it's a Top 40 lap band.

LandLover

Post by LandLover » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:19 pm

iamlookingup wrote:
StarryNightDave wrote:
iamlookingup wrote::hmm: How do you and Pixie and Falvegas keep from weighing a million pounds? :dunno: :lol:

I LOVE food. If I cook it, I MUST eat it, so I just don't cook anything anymore. :cry:
Never tell yourself you are on a diet!!!!! If you want something - eat it! Don't deny yourself. The message your body gets is . . .

OMG! We are in a famine and I must PUT ON MORE WEIGHT!

I know this to be true.
If I bake a whole cake, I eat the whole cake. That can't possibly be okay.
Yeah, I know this feeling....not easy only having a little.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:27 am

It comes from an unspoken feeling of food being scarce or disappearing. As if it will be taken away if you don't eat it.

Being overweight is your body's way of protecting itself. The problem is, you can't reason with your body. You have to give it signals that only it can understand. Like calming down and "knowing" that food is plentiful and available, and that you can have all that you want.

I wish I could give you my meditation mp3 file. But it's too large to send or post. It's a lot of positive thinking. And it helps to undo the bad learning that we all grew up with. For me it was my parents constantly telling me not to eat. It's a psychological barrier that I have. I still haven't overcome it. But I do know how to start keeping it in check.

Body weight is not a matter of just eating less. It is deeper than that. I've always known this, but John Gabriel helped to put it into words.

LandLover

Post by LandLover » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:38 am

StarryNightDave wrote:It comes from an unspoken feeling of food being scarce or disappearing. As if it will be taken away if you don't eat it.
8 brothers and sisters and my parents had very little money. A box of cereal made it around to the first half of the kids, the younger ones were lucky if mom was around to get them a taste. :ohwell: I know what you are talking about here, but after many years it becomes a habit if you don't work hard to break it.