How do you like your eggs?

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
User avatar
StarryNightDave
Mentative
Posts: 26516
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:22 pm
Location: What?
Contact:

How do you like your eggs?

Post by StarryNightDave » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:56 pm

Recently, I've been slicing jalapeno and Serrano peppers, frying them for a few minutes, then adding scrambled eggs. I put some smoked provolone on top and add some of my KetchHot. Tasty stuff. And simple.

Although, I almost chocked to death the first time I fried the Serrano peppers. They gave off some nasty vapors.

User avatar
ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps
Posts: 19546
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:47 am
Location: Connecticut Yankee
Contact:

Re: How do you like your eggs?

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:42 pm

StarryNightDave wrote:Recently, I've been slicing jalapeno and Serrano peppers, frying them for a few minutes, then adding scrambled eggs. I put some smoked provolone on top and add some of my KetchHot. Tasty stuff. And simple.

Although, I almost chocked to death the first time I fried the Serrano peppers. They gave off some nasty vapors.
Sunny-side up.

User avatar
Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 4598
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:56 pm

Re: How do you like your eggs?

Post by Pixie » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:49 pm

My favorite way is poached but I never order poached when I am in a restaurant as they never get them right. I only have poached when I make them at home... when I am out I order them scrambled.

I love eggs!!!!!

User avatar
Fatherducque
Posts: 21816
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:26 pm
Location: Je suis Charlie
Contact:

Re: How do you like your eggs?

Post by Fatherducque » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:24 pm

Fried with yolks broken. Served with a thin slice of ham.

User avatar
LandLover
Posts: 12049
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:50 am
Location: GrandmaVille

Re: How do you like your eggs?

Post by LandLover » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:14 pm

Pixie wrote:My favorite way is poached but I never order poached when I am in a restaurant as they never get them right. I only have poached when I make them at home... when I am out I order them scrambled.

I love eggs!!!!!
I like all kinds of eggs but when eating out I never order scrambled. They over cook them every time. :cry:

User avatar
Bigfoot
Posts: 2441
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:21 pm
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Contact:

Re: How do you like your eggs?

Post by Bigfoot » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:04 am

Over easy. With buttered toast, dipped in the yolks.

If I have to eat scrambled, I have to have hot sauce.

User avatar
Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 4598
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:56 pm

Re: How do you like your eggs?

Post by Pixie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:00 am

LandLover wrote:
Pixie wrote:My favorite way is poached but I never order poached when I am in a restaurant as they never get them right. I only have poached when I make them at home... when I am out I order them scrambled.

I love eggs!!!!!
I like all kinds of eggs but when eating out I never order scrambled. They over cook them every time. :cry:
:lolh: It's true but I can eat an over-scrambled egg better...with hot sauce, exactly as Bigfoot said, easier than I can eat an over-poached egg! :lolh:

I love eggs and they do usually destroy them in a restaurant. :noparty:

Has anyone here ever had a shirred egg... they are really good... it is a baked poached egg with just a touch, just a touch, of heavy cream and topped with your favorite cheese melted under the broiler just long enough to get browned and gooey ...talk about an egg worth dipping your toast into! :lolh:

Bigfoot, you have to try this in your new Manically Fanatic-Inspiring Breville oven... I make them all the time. I must have the recipe somewhere. I'll post it.

User avatar
Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 4598
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:56 pm

Re: How do you like your eggs?

Post by Pixie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:05 am

It is one of the first things I made in my Manically Fanatic-Inspiring Breville oven! :lolh: :embarrassed: :lolh: Can you believe I took a picture...maybe I need a life guys! :lolh: :embarrassed: :lolh:
Image
I sprinkled paprika for color and added some basil and I think dill to that egg???? You can add anything you like, diced tomatoes, sautéed onions, ham, bacon, whatever you like.

Put the heavy cream in the bottom of the ramekin so the egg doesn't stick and then baked for 12 - 14 minutes then top with cheese and put back under the broiler.

Them there's dippin' eggs! :)

User avatar
Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 4598
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:56 pm

Re: How do you like your eggs?

Post by Pixie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:06 am

Oh, wait, it wasn't dill it was chives. Sorry.

User avatar
Fatherducque
Posts: 21816
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:26 pm
Location: Je suis Charlie
Contact:

Re: How do you like your eggs?

Post by Fatherducque » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:08 am

Egg sambal is my favorite egg dish.

User avatar
Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 4598
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:56 pm

Re: How do you like your eggs?

Post by Pixie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:10 am

Please, what is that! I love trying new dishes and as I said, I love eggs! :wave:

User avatar
Fatherducque
Posts: 21816
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:26 pm
Location: Je suis Charlie
Contact:

Re: How do you like your eggs?

Post by Fatherducque » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:31 am

http://rasamalaysia.com/sambal-telur-recipe-egg-sambal/

Sambal Telur Recipe (Egg Sambal)
Ingredients:
4 hard boiled eggs
2 – 3 tablespoons sambal

Cooked Sambal:
6 oz. fresh red chilies (seeded and cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon toasted belacan (Malaysian shrimp paste)
4 oz. shallots
1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
2 teaspoons fish sauce
2 1/2 teaspoons dark brown sugar/palm sugar (or to taste)
4 tablespoons oil
1/2 onion (cut into rings)

Method:
Prepare the sambal by grinding chilies, shallots, and toasted belacan in a mini food processor. Make sure the sambal paste is well blended and smooth.

Heat up a wok with oil and “tumis” (sauté) the sambal paste and onion rings until aromatic or when the oil separates from the sambal paste. Add the seasonings: salt, sugar/palm sugar, and fish sauce and do a quick stir, dish out and set aside.

To make sambal telur, add 2-3 tablespoons of sambal back into the wok plus peeled hard boiled eggs. Make sure the eggs are nicely coated with the sambal. Dish out and serve hot.

Warning: The smell of shrimp paste lingers and some people don't like it. I suggest storing the unused portion in an air tight container (or two) in your freezer. The taste is awesome, though. It smells yummy to me, though!

User avatar
LandLover
Posts: 12049
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:50 am
Location: GrandmaVille

Re: How do you like your eggs?

Post by LandLover » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:20 am

Pixie wrote:It is one of the first things I made in my Manically Fanatic-Inspiring Breville oven! :lolh: :embarrassed: :lolh: Can you believe I took a picture...maybe I need a life guys! :lolh: :embarrassed: :lolh:
Image
I sprinkled paprika for color and added some basil and I think dill to that egg???? You can add anything you like, diced tomatoes, sautéed onions, ham, bacon, whatever you like.

Put the heavy cream in the bottom of the ramekin so the egg doesn't stick and then baked for 12 - 14 minutes then top with cheese and put back under the broiler.

Them there's dippin' eggs! :)
Nice presentation!

User avatar
Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 4598
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:56 pm

Re: How do you like your eggs?

Post by Pixie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:57 am

:lolh: :noparty: Thank you! Actually, I should have put a white cloth napkin under the flatware. It's not like I don't have them or anything! :laugh: :embarrassed: :laugh:

User avatar
Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 4598
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:56 pm

Re: How do you like your eggs?

Post by Pixie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:59 am

Fatherducque wrote:http://rasamalaysia.com/sambal-telur-recipe-egg-sambal/

Sambal Telur Recipe (Egg Sambal)
Ingredients:
4 hard boiled eggs
2 – 3 tablespoons sambal

Cooked Sambal:
6 oz. fresh red chilies (seeded and cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon toasted belacan (Malaysian shrimp paste)
4 oz. shallots
1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
2 teaspoons fish sauce
2 1/2 teaspoons dark brown sugar/palm sugar (or to taste)
4 tablespoons oil
1/2 onion (cut into rings)

Method:
Prepare the sambal by grinding chilies, shallots, and toasted belacan in a mini food processor. Make sure the sambal paste is well blended and smooth.

Heat up a wok with oil and “tumis” (sauté) the sambal paste and onion rings until aromatic or when the oil separates from the sambal paste. Add the seasonings: salt, sugar/palm sugar, and fish sauce and do a quick stir, dish out and set aside.

To make sambal telur, add 2-3 tablespoons of sambal back into the wok plus peeled hard boiled eggs. Make sure the eggs are nicely coated with the sambal. Dish out and serve hot.

Warning: The smell of shrimp paste lingers and some people don't like it. I suggest storing the unused portion in an air tight container (or two) in your freezer. The taste is awesome, though. It smells yummy to me, though!
Oh, I have never heard of this! How interesting! Thank you for sharing! :thumbsup:

User avatar
Fatherducque
Posts: 21816
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:26 pm
Location: Je suis Charlie
Contact:

Re: How do you like your eggs?

Post by Fatherducque » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:03 am

Pixie wrote:
Fatherducque wrote:http://rasamalaysia.com/sambal-telur-recipe-egg-sambal/

Sambal Telur Recipe (Egg Sambal)
Ingredients:
4 hard boiled eggs
2 – 3 tablespoons sambal

Cooked Sambal:
6 oz. fresh red chilies (seeded and cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon toasted belacan (Malaysian shrimp paste)
4 oz. shallots
1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
2 teaspoons fish sauce
2 1/2 teaspoons dark brown sugar/palm sugar (or to taste)
4 tablespoons oil
1/2 onion (cut into rings)

Method:
Prepare the sambal by grinding chilies, shallots, and toasted belacan in a mini food processor. Make sure the sambal paste is well blended and smooth.

Heat up a wok with oil and “tumis” (sauté) the sambal paste and onion rings until aromatic or when the oil separates from the sambal paste. Add the seasonings: salt, sugar/palm sugar, and fish sauce and do a quick stir, dish out and set aside.

To make sambal telur, add 2-3 tablespoons of sambal back into the wok plus peeled hard boiled eggs. Make sure the eggs are nicely coated with the sambal. Dish out and serve hot.

Warning: The smell of shrimp paste lingers and some people don't like it. I suggest storing the unused portion in an air tight container (or two) in your freezer. The taste is awesome, though. It smells yummy to me, though!
Oh, I have never heard of this! How interesting! Thank you for sharing! :thumbsup:
This should be served with nasi lemak.

User avatar
ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps
Posts: 19546
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:47 am
Location: Connecticut Yankee
Contact:

Re: How do you like your eggs?

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:14 am

Pixie wrote::lolh: :noparty: Thank you! Actually, I should have put a white cloth napkin under the flatware. It's not like I don't have them or anything! :laugh: :embarrassed: :laugh:
You must have a PhD in culinary arts!

User avatar
tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Posts: 28550
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:00 am
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien
Contact:

Re: How do you like your eggs?

Post by tattulip » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:50 am

Shirred with havarti, cream, and dill. :drool: The MOST delicious and very easy!

User avatar
Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 4598
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:56 pm

Re: How do you like your eggs?

Post by Pixie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:47 am

Fatherducque wrote:This should be served with nasi lemak.

:lolh: Smart Alec, what's that! :rofl: :doh:

User avatar
Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 4598
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:56 pm

Re: How do you like your eggs?

Post by Pixie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:47 am

tattulip wrote:Shirred with havarti, cream, and dill. :drool: The MOST delicious and very easy!
See, that would be a wonderful version!!!!!! :dinner:

User avatar
Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 4598
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:56 pm

Re: How do you like your eggs?

Post by Pixie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:48 am

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
Pixie wrote::lolh: :noparty: Thank you! Actually, I should have put a white cloth napkin under the flatware. It's not like I don't have them or anything! :laugh: :embarrassed: :laugh:
You must have a PhD in culinary arts!
:lolh: You're too sweet for words! :givehug:

User avatar
Fatherducque
Posts: 21816
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:26 pm
Location: Je suis Charlie
Contact:

Re: How do you like your eggs?

Post by Fatherducque » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:55 am

Pixie wrote:
Fatherducque wrote:This should be served with nasi lemak.

:lolh: Smart Alec, what's that! :rofl: :doh:
Rice cooked in coconut milk, with a hint of pandan.

User avatar
Bigfoot
Posts: 2441
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:21 pm
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Contact:

Re: How do you like your eggs?

Post by Bigfoot » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:00 pm

Pixie wrote:It is one of the first things I made in my Manically Fanatic-Inspiring Breville oven! :lolh: :embarrassed: :lolh: Can you believe I took a picture...maybe I need a life guys! :lolh: :embarrassed: :lolh:
Image
I sprinkled paprika for color and added some basil and I think dill to that egg???? You can add anything you like, diced tomatoes, sautéed onions, ham, bacon, whatever you like.

Put the heavy cream in the bottom of the ramekin so the egg doesn't stick and then baked for 12 - 14 minutes then top with cheese and put back under the broiler.

Them there's dippin' eggs! :)
Image

That looks wonderful!

:dinner:

User avatar
tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Posts: 28550
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:00 am
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien
Contact:

Re: How do you like your eggs?

Post by tattulip » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:19 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
Pixie wrote:It is one of the first things I made in my Manically Fanatic-Inspiring Breville oven! :lolh: :embarrassed: :lolh: Can you believe I took a picture...maybe I need a life guys! :lolh: :embarrassed: :lolh:
Image
I sprinkled paprika for color and added some basil and I think dill to that egg???? You can add anything you like, diced tomatoes, sautéed onions, ham, bacon, whatever you like.

Put the heavy cream in the bottom of the ramekin so the egg doesn't stick and then baked for 12 - 14 minutes then top with cheese and put back under the broiler.

Them there's dippin' eggs! :)
Image

That looks wonderful!

:dinner:
Those are so easy and good, you should try them! :yes:

User avatar
Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 4598
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:56 pm

Re: How do you like your eggs?

Post by Pixie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:40 pm

:thumbsup: Yep, if you like dipping your toast in your egg you will love shirred eggs.

TT, I plan to try your recommendation! It sounds delicious!

User avatar
ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps
Posts: 19546
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:47 am
Location: Connecticut Yankee
Contact:

Re: How do you like your eggs?

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:31 pm

tattulip wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:
Pixie wrote:It is one of the first things I made in my Manically Fanatic-Inspiring Breville oven! :lolh: :embarrassed: :lolh: Can you believe I took a picture...maybe I need a life guys! :lolh: :embarrassed: :lolh:
Image
I sprinkled paprika for color and added some basil and I think dill to that egg???? You can add anything you like, diced tomatoes, sautéed onions, ham, bacon, whatever you like.

Put the heavy cream in the bottom of the ramekin so the egg doesn't stick and then baked for 12 - 14 minutes then top with cheese and put back under the broiler.

Them there's dippin' eggs! :)
Image

That looks wonderful!

:dinner:
Those are so easy and good, you should try them! :yes:
Fresh dill goes great with egg dishes.

User avatar
StarryNightDave
Mentative
Posts: 26516
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:22 pm
Location: What?
Contact:

Re: How do you like your eggs?

Post by StarryNightDave » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:10 am

Wow - I have to try some of these. Making eggs was one of the very first things I was taught to make as a child.

I did "invent" a recipe in my youth. But someone told me this has been done before.

I separated three eggs and first make a "pancake" out of the yellows first. I then stirred the whites a bit, lifted up the yellow pancake, and poured the whites underneath - setting the yellow pancake on top of the whites.

On low heat, let the whites solidify and add ham, cheese, whatever you want inside. When the whites are solid enough, gently fold everything in half. Let sit for just a bit to help melt any cheese, and serve. Looks neat when you cut into it because there are distinctive yellow and white layers.

I also tried adding maybe half a teaspoon of flour to the yellows to help them retain a pancake-like shape. Worked great. Yellows by themselves don't want to stay put.

:mrgreen:

User avatar
tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Posts: 28550
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:00 am
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien
Contact:

Re: How do you like your eggs?

Post by tattulip » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:22 pm

Eggs are pretty versatile! I like them all different ways.

My daughter and I went out for breakfast while in San Diego. My order was a pastry "basket" filled with sausage gravy with big chunks of tasty sausage in it and on top was a fried egg. SO GOOD!

User avatar
StarryNightDave
Mentative
Posts: 26516
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:22 pm
Location: What?
Contact:

Re: How do you like your eggs?

Post by StarryNightDave » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:16 pm

iamlookingup wrote:I like my eggs over-easy with buttered toast. :) :lol: :lol:
Eggcellent! :teehee:
I like that too. And for some reason, that's one of the only times I like whole wheat toast.

In a similar way, I like poached eggs with toast too.

And for scrambled, I make sure NOT to whip them up too much. Otherwise, everything looks yellow. If you just whisk with a fork about a dozen strokes, you get definite yellow and white in your scramble.

I remember my Grandparents refused to get scrambled eggs at any restaurant, because they used powdered eggs for that. :yes: (Well, they lived through the depression.)

User avatar
trailboss
Posts: 8365
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:23 pm
Location: Gilbert Az.
Contact:

Re: How do you like your eggs?

Post by trailboss » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:33 pm

For fried or scrambled, use cocoanut oil...simply incredible.
Light healthy taste, moist, non greasy

Post Reply