How do you like your eggs?

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
StarryNightDave
Mentative

How do you like your eggs?

Post by StarryNightDave » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:56 pm

Recently, I've been slicing jalapeno and Serrano peppers, frying them for a few minutes, then adding scrambled eggs. I put some smoked provolone on top and add some of my KetchHot. Tasty stuff. And simple.

Although, I almost chocked to death the first time I fried the Serrano peppers. They gave off some nasty vapors.

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Re: How do you like your eggs?

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:42 pm

StarryNightDave wrote:Recently, I've been slicing jalapeno and Serrano peppers, frying them for a few minutes, then adding scrambled eggs. I put some smoked provolone on top and add some of my KetchHot. Tasty stuff. And simple.

Although, I almost chocked to death the first time I fried the Serrano peppers. They gave off some nasty vapors.
Sunny-side up.

Pixie
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pixie » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:49 pm

My favorite way is poached but I never order poached when I am in a restaurant as they never get them right. I only have poached when I make them at home... when I am out I order them scrambled.

I love eggs!!!!!

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:24 pm

Fried with yolks broken. Served with a thin slice of ham.

LandLover

Post by LandLover » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:14 pm

Pixie wrote:My favorite way is poached but I never order poached when I am in a restaurant as they never get them right. I only have poached when I make them at home... when I am out I order them scrambled.

I love eggs!!!!!
I like all kinds of eggs but when eating out I never order scrambled. They over cook them every time. :cry:

Bigfoot

Post by Bigfoot » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:04 am

Over easy. With buttered toast, dipped in the yolks.

If I have to eat scrambled, I have to have hot sauce.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:00 am

LandLover wrote:
Pixie wrote:My favorite way is poached but I never order poached when I am in a restaurant as they never get them right. I only have poached when I make them at home... when I am out I order them scrambled.

I love eggs!!!!!
I like all kinds of eggs but when eating out I never order scrambled. They over cook them every time. :cry:
:lolh: It's true but I can eat an over-scrambled egg better...with hot sauce, exactly as Bigfoot said, easier than I can eat an over-poached egg! :lolh:

I love eggs and they do usually destroy them in a restaurant. :noparty:

Has anyone here ever had a shirred egg... they are really good... it is a baked poached egg with just a touch, just a touch, of heavy cream and topped with your favorite cheese melted under the broiler just long enough to get browned and gooey ...talk about an egg worth dipping your toast into! :lolh:

Bigfoot, you have to try this in your new Manically Fanatic-Inspiring Breville oven... I make them all the time. I must have the recipe somewhere. I'll post it.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:05 am

It is one of the first things I made in my Manically Fanatic-Inspiring Breville oven! :lolh: :embarrassed: :lolh: Can you believe I took a picture...maybe I need a life guys! :lolh: :embarrassed: :lolh:
I sprinkled paprika for color and added some basil and I think dill to that egg???? You can add anything you like, diced tomatoes, sautéed onions, ham, bacon, whatever you like.

Put the heavy cream in the bottom of the ramekin so the egg doesn't stick and then baked for 12 - 14 minutes then top with cheese and put back under the broiler.

Them there's dippin' eggs! :)

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:06 am

Oh, wait, it wasn't dill it was chives. Sorry.

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:08 am

Egg sambal is my favorite egg dish.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:10 am

Please, what is that! I love trying new dishes and as I said, I love eggs! :wave:

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:31 am

http://rasamalaysia.com/sambal-telur-recipe-egg-sambal/

Sambal Telur Recipe (Egg Sambal)
Ingredients:
4 hard boiled eggs
2 – 3 tablespoons sambal

Cooked Sambal:
6 oz. fresh red chilies (seeded and cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon toasted belacan (Malaysian shrimp paste)
4 oz. shallots
1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
2 teaspoons fish sauce
2 1/2 teaspoons dark brown sugar/palm sugar (or to taste)
4 tablespoons oil
1/2 onion (cut into rings)

Method:
Prepare the sambal by grinding chilies, shallots, and toasted belacan in a mini food processor. Make sure the sambal paste is well blended and smooth.

Heat up a wok with oil and “tumis” (sauté) the sambal paste and onion rings until aromatic or when the oil separates from the sambal paste. Add the seasonings: salt, sugar/palm sugar, and fish sauce and do a quick stir, dish out and set aside.

To make sambal telur, add 2-3 tablespoons of sambal back into the wok plus peeled hard boiled eggs. Make sure the eggs are nicely coated with the sambal. Dish out and serve hot.

Warning: The smell of shrimp paste lingers and some people don't like it. I suggest storing the unused portion in an air tight container (or two) in your freezer. The taste is awesome, though. It smells yummy to me, though!

LandLover

Post by LandLover » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:20 am

Pixie wrote:It is one of the first things I made in my Manically Fanatic-Inspiring Breville oven! :lolh: :embarrassed: :lolh: Can you believe I took a picture...maybe I need a life guys! :lolh: :embarrassed: :lolh:
I sprinkled paprika for color and added some basil and I think dill to that egg???? You can add anything you like, diced tomatoes, sautéed onions, ham, bacon, whatever you like.

Put the heavy cream in the bottom of the ramekin so the egg doesn't stick and then baked for 12 - 14 minutes then top with cheese and put back under the broiler.

Nice presentation!

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:57 am

:lolh: :noparty: Thank you! Actually, I should have put a white cloth napkin under the flatware. It's not like I don't have them or anything! :laugh: :embarrassed: :laugh:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:59 am

Fatherducque wrote:http://rasamalaysia.com/sambal-telur-recipe-egg-sambal/

Ingredients:
4 hard boiled eggs
2 – 3 tablespoons sambal

Cooked Sambal:
4 oz. shallots
2 teaspoons fish sauce
4 tablespoons oil

Method:
Prepare the sambal by grinding chilies, shallots, and toasted belacan in a mini food processor. Make sure the sambal paste is well blended and smooth.

Heat up a wok with oil and “tumis” (sauté) the sambal paste and onion rings until aromatic or when the oil separates from the sambal paste. Add the seasonings: salt, sugar/palm sugar, and fish sauce and do a quick stir, dish out and set aside.

To make sambal telur, add 2-3 tablespoons of sambal back into the wok plus peeled hard boiled eggs. Make sure the eggs are nicely coated with the sambal. Dish out and serve hot.

Warning: The smell of shrimp paste lingers and some people don't like it. I suggest storing the unused portion in an air tight container (or two) in your freezer. The taste is awesome, though. It smells yummy to me, though!
Oh, I have never heard of this! How interesting! Thank you for sharing! :thumbsup:

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:03 am

Pixie wrote:
Fatherducque wrote:http://rasamalaysia.com/sambal-telur-recipe-egg-sambal/

Ingredients:
4 hard boiled eggs
2 – 3 tablespoons sambal

Cooked Sambal:
4 oz. shallots
2 teaspoons fish sauce
4 tablespoons oil

Method:

Oh, I have never heard of this! How interesting! Thank you for sharing! :thumbsup:
This should be served with nasi lemak.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:14 am

Pixie wrote::lolh: :noparty: Thank you! Actually, I should have put a white cloth napkin under the flatware. It's not like I don't have them or anything! :laugh: :embarrassed: :laugh:
You must have a PhD in culinary arts!

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:50 am

Shirred with havarti, cream, and dill. :drool: The MOST delicious and very easy!

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:47 am

Fatherducque wrote:This should be served with nasi lemak.

:lolh: Smart Alec, what's that! :rofl: :doh:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:47 am

tattulip wrote:Shirred with havarti, cream, and dill. :drool: The MOST delicious and very easy!
See, that would be a wonderful version!!!!!! :dinner:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:48 am

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
Pixie wrote::lolh: :noparty: Thank you! Actually, I should have put a white cloth napkin under the flatware. It's not like I don't have them or anything! :laugh: :embarrassed: :laugh:
You must have a PhD in culinary arts!
:lolh: You're too sweet for words! :givehug:

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:55 am

Pixie wrote:
Fatherducque wrote:This should be served with nasi lemak.

:lolh: Smart Alec, what's that! :rofl: :doh:
Rice cooked in coconut milk, with a hint of pandan.

Bigfoot

Post by Bigfoot » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:00 pm

Pixie wrote:It is one of the first things I made in my Manically Fanatic-Inspiring Breville oven! :lolh: :embarrassed: :lolh: Can you believe I took a picture...maybe I need a life guys! :lolh: :embarrassed: :lolh:

That looks wonderful!

:dinner:

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:19 pm

Bigfoot wrote:

That looks wonderful!

Those are so easy and good, you should try them! :yes:

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:40 pm

:thumbsup: Yep, if you like dipping your toast in your egg you will love shirred eggs.

TT, I plan to try your recommendation! It sounds delicious!

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:31 pm

tattulip wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:

That looks wonderful!

Those are so easy and good, you should try them! :yes:
Fresh dill goes great with egg dishes.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:10 am

Wow - I have to try some of these. Making eggs was one of the very first things I was taught to make as a child.

I did "invent" a recipe in my youth. But someone told me this has been done before.

I separated three eggs and first make a "pancake" out of the yellows first. I then stirred the whites a bit, lifted up the yellow pancake, and poured the whites underneath - setting the yellow pancake on top of the whites.

On low heat, let the whites solidify and add ham, cheese, whatever you want inside. When the whites are solid enough, gently fold everything in half. Let sit for just a bit to help melt any cheese, and serve. Looks neat when you cut into it because there are distinctive yellow and white layers.

I also tried adding maybe half a teaspoon of flour to the yellows to help them retain a pancake-like shape. Worked great. Yellows by themselves don't want to stay put.

:mrgreen:

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet

Post by tattulip » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:22 pm

Eggs are pretty versatile! I like them all different ways.

My daughter and I went out for breakfast while in San Diego. My order was a pastry "basket" filled with sausage gravy with big chunks of tasty sausage in it and on top was a fried egg. SO GOOD!

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:16 pm

iamlookingup wrote:I like my eggs over-easy with buttered toast. :) :lol: :lol:
Eggcellent! :teehee:
I like that too. And for some reason, that's one of the only times I like whole wheat toast.

In a similar way, I like poached eggs with toast too.

And for scrambled, I make sure NOT to whip them up too much. Otherwise, everything looks yellow. If you just whisk with a fork about a dozen strokes, you get definite yellow and white in your scramble.

I remember my Grandparents refused to get scrambled eggs at any restaurant, because they used powdered eggs for that. :yes: (Well, they lived through the depression.)

trailboss

Post by trailboss » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:33 pm

For fried or scrambled, use cocoanut oil...simply incredible.
Light healthy taste, moist, non greasy