Low Cal Foods?

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Re: Low Cal Foods?

Post by abbi » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:29 pm

I make a low fat chicken salad that a wedding planner just told me was the best she has ever had. I use a combination of plain greek yogurt and light sour cream for the dressing instead of mayonnaise. It is really good.

LandLover

Post by LandLover » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:33 pm

I LOVE healthy food.

My problem is I like to eat a truck load of it.

I know how to eat right, I just eat everything tho and it catches up with me.

Back on track with going to the gym ---but need to work on my diet. AND, my neighbor just popped over to bring me a quart of home made ice cream. It tastes like creamy cool whip. :drool:

Ck out this low carb stuffs: http://www.food.com/recipes/very-low-carbs

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:03 pm

Vegetables, a minimal amount of carbs (gotta have some or you will binge on something), and as close to no sugar as possible. Proteins when you need energy (breakfast and lunch) and little before bed.

I eat a HUGE salad (lettuce, carrots, onion, apple, green beans, beets, chickpeas) for dinner with very little dressing, but a fair amount of dry spices for added flavor. Dessert is a hot drink with extra sweetener.

On occasion, when presented with a special treat food, I will indulge. But I do this rarely and only when the food is truly worth the calories.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:06 pm

It's more about portion control I think. Use a small plate. It should be 2/3 vegetables. A piece of meat the size of a pack of cards and very few carbs.

You get used to eating smaller portions after a week or two.

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:26 pm

tattulip wrote:It's more about portion control I think. Use a small plate. It should be 2/3 vegetables. A piece of meat the size of a pack of cards and very few carbs.

You get used to eating smaller portions after a week or two.
Oh yes. :thumbsup:

I still eat a big pile of salad so I don't snack at night. I really look forward to that big salad!

I have also heard that eating a serving of a dairy product at a meal helps one feel satisfied with less. A glass of low fat milk works for me.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:22 pm

(( Don't look at the Peanut butter Buckeye Pie recipe!))

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:31 am

You can throw any seasoning on a veggie to make it taste less bland. I like veggies!

A friend of mine, who is on a diet, eats LOTS of spaghetti squash. It IS bland but you can put whatever you want on it to taste however you want.

LandLover

Post by LandLover » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:33 am

iamlookingup wrote:I hate vegetables. I don't know how to season them so they won't taste bland.

Bland is what bothers me the most.

Thanks for your suggestions and such. I may have to arrange to take some cooking classes.
I love veggies. The key is not to over cook them and make them squishy. Most of them have enough natural flavor :dinner: - but ck this....

http://www.thedailydietribe.com/2009/07 ... -your.html

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:16 pm

iamlookingup wrote:I hate vegetables. I don't know how to season them so they won't taste bland.

Thanks for your suggestions and such. I may have to arrange to take some cooking classes.
Start with some Lawry's seasoned salt. Try a little curry powder to.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet

Post by tattulip » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:12 am

iamlookingup wrote:
Fatherducque wrote:

Start with some Lawry's seasoned salt. Try a little curry powder to.
I bought a whole cabinet full of spices from The Savory Spice Shop. Don't worry...I didn't forget the curry! :cheer:

And I bought some pink salt, too. Supposedly from the Himalayas, or something like that.

I'm so glad salt is allowed back on the menu!! :cheer: :arms: :stars: I am a big salt fan! :notworthy:
:ditto: