Lobster Mac & Cheese

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
falvegas

Lobster Mac & Cheese

Post by falvegas » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:53 pm

Lobster Mac & Cheese
An elegant delight from Maine; great for special occasions, and can be served as a side dish.

Ingredients:
Serves 4 to 5
* 1 -1/4 lb. cooked [Boiled or Steamed] Fresh lobster meat [Knuckles and Claws preferably], cut into 1/2 inch pieces. Best to use fresh Lobster, steamed or boiled. Reserve the Tails for another dish. In a pinch one could use canned Lobster, even Lump Crab…wouldn’t be the same though.
* 1-1/4 lb. Dry Pasta, any short type; I use traditional medium Elbow Macaroni. One can also use, Rotini, Gemelli, Cavatelli, Gnocchi etc.
* 2 1/4 cups Light Cream
* 8 Tbsp. Butter divided into four 2-Tbsp segments.
* 4 Tbsp. AP Flour
* 2 Cups Mascarpone Cheese
* 1-Cup Quality Cheddar Cheese [shredded]
* 3 shallots - minced
* 1 clove Garlic - minced
* 1/2 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
* 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
* 1 Tbsp. fresh Parsley - chopped (or 1 tsp. dried)
* 1-Tbs Fresh Tarragon
* 1 Tbsp. fresh Chives - chopped (or 1 tsp. dried)
* 1 Tbsp. Lemon Zest
* 2 Tbsp. Parmesan or Romano cheese
* 1 1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
* 1 1/2 tsp. White Pepper

Directions:

Crunchy Topping:
• In a saucepan, melt 2 Tbsp.Butter. Add the minced garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
• Add the Panko Bread Crumbs, Parsley, Chives, Olive Oil, Lemon Zest, 1/2 tsp. Salt and 1/2 tsp. White Pepper. Mix together to blend. Add the Parmesan or Romano cheese. Set aside.

Pasta
• Cook the pasta in boiling water. Drain the pasta, cover and reserve.Save about a 1/2 Cup of the Pasts Juice.

Cheese Sauce
• In a large saucepan; melt 4 Tbsp Butter over medium heat. Add 4 Tbsp. flour, 1 Tbsp. at a time, to the butter. Whisk the flour into the butter to blend. Slowly add the cream and whisk into the butter and flour mixture to create a white sauce [basic Béchamel]. Continue heating until it thickens.
• Add the Mascarpone and Cheddar Cheeses to the Béchamel and mix to blend [Mornay Sauce]. Stir in 1 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. white pepper. Note; Other creamy cheeses can be considered like Fontina.

Lobster
• In a saucepan, melt 2 Tbsp. butter. Add the minced shallot and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add the Tarragon and mix well for a minute or so.
• Add the lobster meat and toss to cover and heat - about 1-2 minutes. Do not overcook – only to lightly heat the lobster meat.
• Add this mixture to the cheese sauce and gently mix together.
• If the Pasta seems a bit stiff, spoon some of the reserved Pasts Water into it. Spoon the pasta into the large saucepan of cheese and lobster, and gently mix well. Spoon the portions into pasta serving bowls and top with the Seasoned Panko Crumbs. Serve immediately.

Note: One can also place the final mixture into a Casserole Dish, top with the Seasoned Panko Bread Crumb mixture, a few dabs of melted butter and place under the Broiler [On Low and Low Down] for a couple minutes to crisp the top, and then serve. With the Lobster and macaroni cooked the dish should not be Baked, and ‘caution’ taken under a broiler not to burn the Parmesan Cheese in the topping.

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Re: Lobster Mac & Cheese

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:02 pm

You know, I made that once, not that exact recipe, but close enough. I was surprised to find I didn't care for it. Even though lobster is my favorite food, and I love a really good mac and cheese, the newburg type taste spoiled it for me. It made the lobster taste quite unlike lobster and the mac and cheese tasted unmac and cheese.

Does that make sense? :lol:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:32 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:You know, I made that once, not that exact recipe, but close enough. I was surprised to find I didn't care for it. Even though lobster is my favorite food, and I love a really good mac and cheese, the newburg type taste spoiled it for me. It made the lobster taste quite unlike lobster and the mac and cheese tasted unmac and cheese.

Does that make sense? :lol:
Well, as a born and bred Yankee...actually, it doesn't.

My God, I lived on just about every conceivable Lobster dish one could think of growing up.

Newburg is more of a Lobster Stew and is heavy in Cream, Eggs, and Sherry often with Brandy.
That's quite different than this dish, which is quite 'mild'. I posted it as a sort of variation, a step up from the 'Norm'.

No this recipe is not your down home baked Mac & Cheese, But it originates in Maine, and has won numerous Gold Awards. Yes, it is a more elegant variation on the traditional.
Last edited by falvegas on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:42 pm

Actually, Conserv, if you want to know what my very best favorite Mac & Cheese is, this is it:

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:32 pm

falvegas wrote:Actually, Conserv, if you want to know what my very best favorite Mac & Cheese is, this is it:

Recipe please :flirt:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:56 pm

Macaroni Au Gratin
Gratin de Macaroni

Serves about 6, prep time about 1-1/4 hours

INGREDIENTS

• 16 TO 18 Oz Long Macaroni. I usually have to go to the Italian Specialty Store to get this; local supermarkets only carry food for peasants.
• 1-Garlic Clove, pealed and split lengthwise
• 5-1/4 Cups Whole Milk
• Sea Salt [fine) and Ground Fresh or White Pepper to taste. Fine white pepper tends to be fairly strong so dust sparingly.
• Nutmeg (Whole for Grating)
• ¾-Cup Cream, generous cup
• 1-2/3 to 1-1/2 Cup Swiss or Jarlsberg Cheese, grated. Can also add a small bit of Gruyere for a more elegant flavor.
• 4 Tbs. Butter, unsalted, broken into small pieces…Plus some Butter for the Dish.

DIRECTIONS

** Pre Heat oven to 350 Deg. F.
** Cook the Macaroni to Al Dente in well salted water for 7 to 8 minutes (This of course will depend on your altitude and the macaroni). Drain in a Colander, do not cool.
** Heat the Milk in a large Saucepan, and season generously with Salt, Pepper, and some grinds of Nutmeg. Do not let this Boil.
** Generously rub a large Baking Dish with Butter and the Garlic. Gently blend together the Cream Mixture and the Macaroni into the dish.
** Sprinkle with the Grated Cheese, dot with the Butter Chunks and Bake for 1-Hour. The finished dish should be beautifully golden browned on top.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:47 pm

This recipe is the more conventional Mac & Cheese by, Alton Brown.

BAKED MACARONI AND CHEESE

Ingredients
• 1/2 pound elbow macaroni
• 3 tablespoons butter
• 3 tablespoons flour
• 1 tablespoon powdered mustard
• 3 cups milk
• 1/2 cup yellow onion, finely diced
• 1 bay leaf
• 1/2 teaspoon paprika
• 1 large egg
• 12 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
• Fresh black pepper
Topping:
• 3 tablespoons butter
• 1 cup panko bread crumbs

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente.
While the pasta is cooking, in a separate pot, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and mustard and keep it moving for about five minutes. Make sure it's free of lumps. Stir in the milk, onion, bay leaf, and paprika. Simmer for ten minutes and remove the bay leaf.
Temper in the egg. Stir in 3/4 of the cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Fold the macaroni into the mix and pour into a 2-quart casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.
Melt the butter in a saute pan and toss the bread crumbs to coat. Top the macaroni with the bread crumbs. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and rest for five minutes before serving.
Remember to save leftovers for fried Macaroni and Cheese.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:56 pm

deleted
Last edited by falvegas on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:57 pm

iamlookingup wrote::drool: I'm not a Swiss cheese fan, but I'll try anything once.

Swiss is OK...I much prefer Gruyere.

The one cheese I refuse to eat is American Cheese. I don't consider it a cheese, more like a Processed Cheese Food of sorts with all kinds of concentrated proteins n'stuff in it.

But for Mac & Cheese, certainly Cheddar is the standard, and it can be enhanced by adding in any good quality 'true cheese' that will melt well.

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:22 am

falvegas wrote:
iamlookingup wrote::drool: I'm not a Swiss cheese fan, but I'll try anything once.

The one cheese I refuse to eat is American Cheese. I don't consider it a cheese, more like a Processed Cheese Food of sorts with all kinds of concentrated proteins n'stuff in it.

I agree.

But for Mac & Cheese, certainly Cheddar is the standard, and it can be enhanced by adding in any good quality 'true cheese' that will melt well.
I use Gruyere cheese with extra sharp cheddar. Now since by themselves I prefer Swiss much more than cheddar, what do you think of the combination of Swiss and Gruyere for the next time?

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:37 am

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
falvegas wrote:

I agree.

I use Gruyere cheese with extra sharp cheddar. Now since by themselves I prefer Swiss much more than cheddar, what do you think of the combination of Swiss and Gruyere for the next time?
I don't know ...Jarlsberg is a really good cheese when it comes to Swiss. But for Mac & Cheese one can not go wrong with a good quality Cheddar laced with Gruyere. I love Gruyere, most especially in French Onion Soup Gratin, Quiche, and laced into Mac & Cheese with Cheddar...it a personal preference for me.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:59 am

iamlookingup wrote:
falvegas wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
falvegas wrote:

I agree.

I don't know ...Jarlsberg is a really good cheese when it comes to Swiss. But for Mac & Cheese one can not go wrong with a good quality Cheddar laced with Gruyere. I love Gruyere, most especially in French Onion Soup Gratin, Quiche, and laced into Mac & Cheese with Cheddar...it a personal preference for me.
Is Gruyere expensive? Sometimes that's what slows me down from trying a new recipe...the ingredients are too expensive. :ohwell:
Yes! It is overly expensive. That's why grating just some of it into a dish is the usual course.