Sausage & Beans

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
falvegas

Sausage & Beans

Post by falvegas » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:57 am

Had these Hormel Chicken-Spinach-Asiago Cheese Sausages, and didn't know what to do with them, so I went to the cupboard and crafted this very simple dish. Doesn't take long, maybe 30 to 40 minutes.

Chicken-Spinach-Asiago Sausage and White Beans
falvegas.

INGREDIENTS
• 1-Package Natural Herb-Chicken Sausage – such as Hormel Natural Choice w/Spinach & Asiago Cheese [or equivalent, to your taste].
• 1-3.5 Oz Packet Sun Dried Tomatoes – such as Bella Sun Luci julienne cut [or equivalent, preferably the semi soft sun dried]. Rough Chopped.
• 1-8 Oz package Button Mushrooms [white or brown such as Monterey]. Rough Chopped.
• 1-large bunch of fresh Spinach. Stems removed and reserved.
• 2- 15 Oz Cans, Great Northern Beans or Navy Beans.
• 2 Cloves Garlic [smashed and skins removed]
• 1-Tbs Basil [dry] or fist of fresh- Rough Chopped.
• 3-Tbs EV Olive Oil.
• Sea Salt and White Pepper, to Taste.

PROCEDURE:
• Heat EV Olive oil in a skillet, add the ‘Spinach Stems’ and the Smashed Garlic for 5 or 6 minutes. Strain & Press through a Sieve, and return the Olive Oil to the Skillet. This seasons the Olive Oil with Spinach & Garlic.
• Add the Mushrooms and the Sun Dried Tomatoes to the Skillet and Sauté until just tender but not mushy ~ 4 to 5 minutes.
• Coarse Chop the Fresh Spinach [leaves], into 1-1/2 inch cross chops.
• Season to taste w/Salt-White Pepper-Basil.
• Add the Sausage to the Mushroom Mixture with 1/3 of the Spinach and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the rest of the Spinach and lightly simmer [covered] for another 2 to 3 minutes.
• At the same time heat to Northern White beans in a Sauce Pan until just heated through.
• Add the skillet mixture to the beans in the Sauce Pan, lightly stir to combine mixture, heat through for a few minutes and serve.
• Can Top with a bit of shaved Asiago Cheese, and serve with a Bruschetta

One can be creative with designer sausages like Aidell's, Hormel etc. The Spinach here can be replaced with Basil, Arugula, Kale, Collard etc to match the sausage ingredients, use Artichoke Hearts in place of Mushrooms, and use various beans like Red Beans, Black Beans etc of choice to create BBQ, Southwest, California or Louisiana Cuisine.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Re: Sausage & Beans

Post by tattulip » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:54 pm

I bought 4 sweet Italian sausage links from a local Italian butcher. I love those things! :drool: I put two of them in my marinara sauce last night and have two extra to "play" with.

falvegas

Re: Sausage & Beans

Post by falvegas » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:27 pm

tattulip wrote:I bought 4 sweet Italian sausage links from a local Italian butcher. I love those things! :drool: I put two of them in my marinara sauce last night and have two extra to "play" with.
Oh great. I buy the my Butcher's Italians, German, and French sausages quite often. There;s a ton of stuff one can do with them.

This recipe was meant more for Ideas on what can be done with the designer-style sausages, than the more conventional.

Often I'll brown pieces of a a cut-up chicken, some meatballs, and some Italian Sausages then put them all in a Dutch Oven to the top 'With My Marinara Sauce' and let them simmer real Low for an hour or so, then serve it family style over a Platter of Pasta.