Teflon, Ceramic etc Coated Cookware

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
falvegas

Teflon, Ceramic etc Coated Cookware

Post by falvegas » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:34 pm

When it comes to Cookware; stay with the tried and true: Tri-Ply 18/10 Stainless, Cast Iron, Enameled Cast Iron, Hard Anodized (thick) Aluminum, the well-applied use of Copper, and the judicious use of Aluminum. The performance of Ceramics and Tempered Glass in bake-ware is well established, and with well established precautions.

PTFE [Teflon] coated cookware has its uses, however these require ultra-meticulous attention including: avoiding High Temperature heating [greater than 450 Deg] such as during grilling or searing, be sure to use non abrasive utensils using preferably-exclusively Silicone, avoid the dishwasher and any abrasive and caustic cleansers or cleaning pads, avoid sudden temperature changes, and avoid stacked storage with other pans without paper etc. protection placed inside the pan. Heating PTFE above 475 Deg can give off a toxic gas, above 600 Deg it starts to decompose. Also PFOA is used in some pans, and is a known toxin.

Ceramic Coated Cook-Ware [Pots & Pans] is a sensible alternative to PTFE, and between you and I and the Fence Post, I would prefer Ceramic over PTFE. But make no mistake, after awhile the so-called ‘Non-Stick’ surface will ‘dull’, and regardless what the manufacturer claims, one should use a ‘little bit of Oil’ in the pan when cooking. However, the same attention to the extremes of Hot/Cold and hard Utensils should apply; so I would recommend the use of Silicone Utensils on ‘Any’ coated cookware [and yes that includes Enameled Cast Iron]. I know you’ve all seen the scratches build over time in your enamel. .

The school is still out on Ceramic Coated pans because they usually require at least six months to a year of use. For example, many articles indicate that the lifetime, quality, and the performance of Green Pans are seriously ‘in question’ at this time. Also still to be determined are the health effects on the use of certain Nano-Particles in many coated pans, if ingested.

Comment in one Article:
In addition, most of these pans are also just not as durable as traditional nonstick. Hugh Rushing of the Cookware Manufacturers Association (a trade association) concurred with our assessment. Based on testing the CMA has done in its own test kitchens, the ceramic-coated models are simply “not as well-performing,” Rushing said.

Stone-Coated Cookware or Stoneware
Some Cautionary Info on Stone-Coated cookware [Stonedine ™]: This cookware may not be all it’s cracked up to be:
http://www.complaintsboard.com/complain ... 89673.html

FYI: I use Silicone Utensils in ‘all’ my cooking pans except for Stainless and uncoated Cast Iron. Even a Silicone coated Whisk is essential.

Also FYI: I personally believe that any time a ‘Thick Metal’ with a (high coefficient of thermal expansion) is surface coated with another ‘Very Thin Substance’ that has a (much lower coefficient of thermal expansion), over time-use and temperature, the thinner one is going to wear & react differently from the other.

Ceramic Bake-Ware and Tempered Glassware is well established in Baking of all sorts. Certainly we all know that one must always avoid direct-flame in any type of heating elements [including Sterno] and of course the extremes of Physical and Temperature Shock [change] i.e. don’t take it from the oven and lay it on the corner of your stainless steel sink, it very well could not only shatter, but it can ’Explode’. Let it cool on top of the warm stove.

I've just started using some Silicone Bakeware for things like Cakes, Pies and Cookies, and I'm impressed. Of course they can be damaged with sharp objects, but I can't attest to their expected life as yet.

Fatherducque

Re: Teflon, Ceramic etc Coated Cookware

Post by Fatherducque » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:16 pm

Thanks!

If a coating is applied to a base with a different coefficient of expansion, it had better be elastic!

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:50 pm

Fatherducque wrote:Thanks!

If a coating is applied to a base with a different coefficient of expansion, it had better be elastic!
So true, and if it is a bit elastic it's probably too soft to take prolonged punishment. But this new stuff is fairly rigid, ceramic, stone etc. and it seems a bit brittle ...also seems to wear-down more than is advertised, and over time, 10 or 15 years, only God knows how their surface will decompose.

Pans should be able to take the toughest-of-the-tough punishment with, Temperature, Impact, and Wear from the use of any number of Kitchen utensils. If I can't pre-clean em and throw em in the dishwasher, I'm not going to be fond of them. Personally, I don't like having to Baby Them. Although I do baby my Enameled Cast Iron Pots.

LandLover

Post by LandLover » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:12 pm

I guess I have never looked at the details before.

I look at the brands first just out of habit.

All Clad & Calphalon are my top two favorite brands.

My most used pan is prob... http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products ... acet-_--_-

Next purchase will prob be...

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products ... acet-_--_-

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:40 pm

LandLover wrote:I guess I have never looked at the details before.

My most used pan is prob... http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products ... acet-_--_-

I had to look for a long time before I found what I wanted. I did not want glass lids, I already broke one from a different set. I found a fantastic set of Cusinarts stainless steel with ss lids at JC Penney. It was already on sale, then I got more off because the display one was the only one left.

So today, I am playing cards when I hear a loud pop. :headscratch: A few seconds later I hear another one. Then I smelled something unpleasant. I forgot that I was cooking hard boiled eggs. Well, they pretty much exploded. I was worried about the pan, but it was easy to clean.

I should no longer be allowed in the kitchen.

ConservativeLiz

Post by ConservativeLiz » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:01 am

Do you find that teflon does not clean up in the dishwasher? It must be kitchen sink washed.

:ohwell:

LandLover

Post by LandLover » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:08 am

ConservativeLiz wrote:Do you find that teflon does not clean up in the dishwasher? It must be kitchen sink washed.

I hand wash mine the minute I get up from dinner - only takes a few minutes then it is back in the cabinet for the next meal. I use it too much to wait on the dishwasher.

A good non stick pan takes about 60 seconds to clean. Nothing sticks.....hot water, soap? Too easy.

I take care of my pans to make sure they last (Season, low heat, gentle utensils) the first sign of ruin I move on to a new pan.

Bigfoot

Post by Bigfoot » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:21 am

LandLover wrote:I guess I have never looked at the details before.

It's always seemed that no matter what I pay for a non-stick fry pan, the thing wears out in a couple of years. I have recently gotten into Calphalon, and I've been very happy with it. I have had one frying pan for about three years, and recently bought another. I have a ceramic cook top, and the old pans would warp after awhile, and they'd have hot spots. These have a thick bottom on them, and the heat distributes very evenly and they are easy to clean up, too, as you mentioned.

:stars:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:09 am

ConservativeLiz wrote:Do you find that teflon does not clean up in the dishwasher? It must be kitchen sink washed.

Not a good idea to put Teflon in the dishwasher. Best to clean as quickly after use as possible, and with a sponge and dish liquid [soap].

Teflon [PTFE] will not last and it is best not to Sear in them i.e. don't let the temperature get above 450 Degrees.

The newer PTFE pans are much better than the ones of years ago.

But, any coated pan, regardless the coating, will wear down over time, certainly lose some of their initial non-stick characteristics. Quality Anodized Pans are an exception.

All the pans I have that are over 20 years old are Stainless, Cask Iron, and Enamel Cast Iron [my dutch ovens which I treat the same gentle way as I would teflon, because even they will scratch]. I do have a 15 year old Anodized Aluminum Sauce Pot which is still in great shape. It's by Anolon.

Personally, for the majority, I stick with brands; All Clad, Calphalon, or Cuisinart, and it is always best if the clad comes all the way up the sides. This gives even distribution of heat especially with a Dutch Oven. That's why my Dutch Ovens are Enameled Cast Iron.