He-Man Meatloaf makes Men Go Crazy

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
StarryNightDave
Mentative

He-Man Meatloaf makes Men Go Crazy

Post by StarryNightDave » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:46 pm

He-Man Meatloaf makes Men Go Crazy - BACON BACON BACON BACON!

This sounded really good!

Unlike some meatloaf recipes, which have a lot of bread filler and are soggy with sauce; this meatloaf is moist and delicious, but not mushy. I find that men go crazy over it, especially with the added bacon! I served this last night to a friend who I mentioned had moved North and has missed this ultimate comfort food. He darn-near cried as he ate the third piece and I sent the remainder with him wrapped up in aluminum foil with slices of bread for sandwiches today.
2 pounds ground brisket or beef
1 pound ground pork
18 saltine crackers, crushed
1/2 bell pepper, diced
1/2 teaspoon cayenne or red pepper flakes, or to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
1 yellow onion, diced
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
3 slices thick hickory bacon, partially cooked – not crisp
3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed divided
3/4 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon vinegar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine first 10 ingredients and ¼ cup brown sugar in medium bowl just until blended. Chill mixture for about 10 minutes. Form into a 10 x 5 loaf. Top with bacon slices which have been cut in half. Place meatloaf on rack lined with foil. Punch holes in foil to allow drippings. Place rack on baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour. Turn broiler on for a few minutes so bacon will crisp. Watch and don’t burn. Stir together ketchup with remaining brown sugar and vinegar; pour over meatloaf. Bake 15 more minutes at 350. Remove from oven; let stand 20 minutes before slicing. NOTE: sometimes I add diced jalapeno peppers.

LandLover

Re: He-Man Meatloaf makes Men Go Crazy

Post by LandLover » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:33 am

If you make it, let me know how it turns out, I have a he-man type that I can make it for...also, I love meatloaf sandwiches. ;)

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:46 am

iamlookingup wrote:
LandLover wrote:If you make it, let me know how it turns out, I have a he-man type that I can make it for...also, I love meatloaf sandwiches. ;)
My husband loves meatloaf, too. Please let us know if you make this recipe, Dave. :)

I'm not a fan of mustard or ketchup, though. I'd probably have to use a premade bbq sauce. I couldn't eat it if I knew it had
mustard and ketchup in the sauce. :ohwell:
Wouldn't pre-made barbeque sauce have mustard or ketchup in it?

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:53 am

tattulip wrote:
iamlookingup wrote:
LandLover wrote:If you make it, let me know how it turns out, I have a he-man type that I can make it for...also, I love meatloaf sandwiches. ;)
My husband loves meatloaf, too. Please let us know if you make this recipe, Dave. :)

I'm not a fan of mustard or ketchup, though. I'd probably have to use a premade bbq sauce. I couldn't eat it if I knew it had
mustard and ketchup in the sauce. :ohwell:
Wouldn't pre-made barbeque sauce have mustard or ketchup in it?
The barbeque sauce I have has tomato puree in it. But there are hundreds of kinds, so I guess it is possible that some of them have mustard, and or ketchup.

LandLover

Post by LandLover » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:29 am

tat, iam, cons, do you girls find it as interesting as I do that Dave is posting stuff that will make men go crazy? Image

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:42 am

LandLover wrote:tat, iam, cons, do you girls find it as interesting as I do that Dave is posting stuff that will make men go crazy? Image
:laugh: now that you mention it! Dave, iron my shirts! Image

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:25 pm

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:39 pm

StarryNightDave wrote:Image

We got to ya ha? :lol:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:39 pm

I like this recipe a lot. Adding bell pepper and topping with bacon is a great idea.

Most of my Meatloaf’s use Beef/Pork and Veal, and now and then I’ll add Mushrooms.
Other variations I've used are:
Italian: eliminate the Pepper and Add ½ Cup Pesto, and 2/3 Cup Sun Dried Tomato,
Cheesy: Another variation uses Cubed Mozzarella Cheese and Mushrooms in the meat mixture and topped with shredded Mozzarella and breadcrumbs.
BBQ: A BBQ loaf I cook requires ‘Medium-Indirect’ heat. It’s a traditional meatloaf meat mix but made with a ‘Meatloaf Starter’ some ‘Liquid Smoke’ and a BBQ Sauce glaze. I BBQ till the Loaf center ~150 deg and let sit 20 min. Great with grilled Asparagus.
Greek: Couple of times I’ve made a Greek meatloaf, adding 1/3 Ground Lamb and Chopped Kalamata Olives.
Southwest: Using a coarse ground Beef & Pork mix, and the usual stuff, I’ll dust the mixture with New Mexico Chile, Cumin and Coriander, then mix in some Diced Roasted Green Chiles, topping with Monterey Jack Cheese and two or three whole Roasted Green Chiles.

LandLover

Post by LandLover » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:36 pm

The best meatloaf I ever served was purchased from Randall's on five dollar friday. :sad:

I'm going to give this one a shot before too long.