Unsalted Butter

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Unsalted Butter

Post by tattulip » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:03 am

What is the sense in using unsalted butter in a recipe and then adding salt? :headscratch: Why not just use salted butter? :dunno:

Fatherducque

Re: Unsalted Butter

Post by Fatherducque » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:09 am

It's healthier...

:rofl2:

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:10 am

Fatherducque wrote:It's healthier...

:lol:
smartass!

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:12 am

tattulip wrote:
Fatherducque wrote:It's healthier...

:lol:
smartass!
You sound just like my wife...

I think I 'll go help her in the kitchen...

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:59 am

tattulip wrote:What is the sense in using unsalted butter in a recipe and then adding salt? :headscratch: Why not just use salted butter? :dunno:
A lot of times dessert recipes do not call for salt, and there shouldn't be any salt in the butter either, for those particlar recipes. And some people do not add salt to their food. I rarely add salt, only if a recipe calls for it.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet

Post by tattulip » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:33 pm

But the recipe I was looking at called for unsalted butter but also to add salt.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:25 pm

Here's the answer they gave us when I attended Restaurant School . . .

Salted butter is a lower quality butter. Salt is added to cover up poor quality, improve taste, and extend shelf life. Unsalted butter is of much higher quality and is much clearer when melted, and also does not produce as much foam as salted butter.

At least that's how it used to be. But over the years, the quality of all dairy products has improved with technology. Today, salted butter is pretty much the same quality as unsalted. It's just that so many people, myself included, grew up with it and now prefer the taste to unsalted butter.

I sometimes leave out salt in a recipe when I use salted butter. Like for brownies and cakes.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet

Post by tattulip » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:02 am

StarryNightDave wrote:Here's the answer they gave us when I attended Restaurant School . . .

Salted butter is a lower quality butter. Salt is added to cover up poor quality, improve taste, and extend shelf life. Unsalted butter is of much higher quality and is much clearer when melted, and also does not produce as much foam as salted butter.

At least that's how it used to be. But over the years, the quality of all dairy products has improved with technology. Today, salted butter is pretty much the same quality as unsalted. It's just that so many people, myself included, grew up with it and now prefer the taste to unsalted butter.

I sometimes leave out salt in a recipe when I use salted butter. Like for brownies and cakes.
I did not know that!

Have you ever made your own butter? It's pretty easy with a food processor. I did, but I didn't notice much improvement in flavor. You can make flavored butters that way though....honey butter, etc.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:49 am

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
tattulip wrote:What is the sense in using unsalted butter in a recipe and then adding salt? :headscratch: Why not just use salted butter? :dunno:
A lot of times dessert recipes do not call for salt, and there shouldn't be any salt in the butter either, for those particlar recipes. And some people do not add salt to their food. I rarely add salt, only if a recipe calls for it.
Let me make a correction to the first sentence in my above post. If the recipe calls for salt, and it doesn't say which one, I will use the salted butter, because that is what most recipes call for. In other words for baked goods, I follow the recipe exactly.

If I were making a main dish, and the recipe calls for unsalted butter, and I didn't have any, I would use salted. I wouldn't do that for a dessert.

What were you making Tat?

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:35 am

Most times recipes call for unsalted butter so you have control of the amount of salt in the dish. You don't have control of the amount of salt in salted butter.

cjelephant

Post by cjelephant » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:42 am

tattulip wrote:But the recipe I was looking at called for unsalted butter but also to add salt.

I'm with you - I have never understood this.

I never add salt and ignore the recipes.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet

Post by tattulip » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:26 am

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
Let me make a correction to the first sentence in my above post. If the recipe calls for salt, and it doesn't say which one, I will use the salted butter, because that is what most recipes call for. In other words for baked goods, I follow the recipe exactly.

If I were making a main dish, and the recipe calls for unsalted butter, and I didn't have any, I would use salted. I wouldn't do that for a dessert.

I was looking at Pecan Pie filling online.

I have always used salted butter and haven't had trouble with too much salt. But then again, I like a lot of salt.

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:29 pm

tattulip wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:

I was looking at Pecan Pie filling online.

I have always used salted butter and haven't had trouble with too much salt. But then again, I like a lot of salt.
I didn't know that Pecan Pies were legal that far north. You ARE using Steens syrup, aren't you? :eyebrow:
Last edited by Fatherducque on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:23 pm

abbi wrote:Most times recipes call for unsalted butter so you have control of the amount of salt in the dish. You don't have control of the amount of salt in salted butter.
I don't agree with that as a reason. If that were true all baking recipes would call for unsalted butter, but as I know, they don't. It has to do with taste, and a combination of all the ingredients.

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:47 pm

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
abbi wrote:Most times recipes call for unsalted butter so you have control of the amount of salt in the dish. You don't have control of the amount of salt in salted butter.
I don't agree with that as a reason. If that were true all baking recipes would call for unsalted butter, but as I know, they don't. It has to do with taste, and a combination of all the ingredients.
You can disagree but that is what the culinary world says. It doesn't mean there is no place for salted butter.

Personally I have started using unsalted butter, kind of by accident because it was what I had, and I like it. I think I'm going to continue to use it but make is seasoned butter to my personal preference.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:24 pm

abbi wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
You can disagree but that is what the culinary world says. It doesn't mean there is no place for salted butter.

Personally I have started using unsalted butter, kind of by accident because it was what I had, and I like it. I think I'm going to continue to use it but make is seasoned butter to my personal preference.
You can get away with it in a main dish, or putting it on a baked potato, but to change any ingredient in a dessert dish is asking for trouble. I follow the directions.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:52 am

iamlookingup wrote: :hide:
You are a funny girl. :lol:

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:59 pm

It's only butter. :lol:

BTW, abbi is right about controlling the amount of salt in recipes. But I think that more apples to restaurant-sized batches. I think for homemade baked goods, we should just go by personal taste. So many people love the taste of salted butter that we only buy that kind.

Although, I do buy unsalted if I'm making a pie crust. I prefer the pate brisee, which is just butter, flour, ice cold water, and a pinch of salt. (Although, Martha Stewart uses some sugar, which softens the crust.)

And - for making stews and soups where liquid will boil off as steam over a period of hours, you definitely want to add salt LAST just before serving. If you add salt at the beginning, cooking down the liquid will concentrate the salt.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet

Post by tattulip » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:17 pm

StarryNightDave wrote:It's only butter. :lol:

BTW, abbi is right about controlling the amount of salt in recipes. But I think that more apples to restaurant-sized batches. I think for homemade baked goods, we should just go by personal taste. So many people love the taste of salted butter that we only buy that kind.

Although, I do buy unsalted if I'm making a pie crust. I prefer the pate brisee, which is just butter, flour, ice cold water, and a pinch of salt. (Although, Martha Stewart uses some sugar, which softens the crust.)

And - for making stews and soups where liquid will boil off as steam over a period of hours, you definitely want to add salt LAST just before serving. If you add salt at the beginning, cooking down the liquid will concentrate the salt.
That sounds better then Crisco pie crust - is it hard to roll out?

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:35 pm

tattulip wrote:
StarryNightDave wrote:It's only butter. :lol:

That sounds better then Crisco pie crust - is it hard to roll out?
Not too bad. I use the trick my mother taught me years ago. She always placed the dough between two sheets of wax paper and rolled it out that way.

The key to pate brisee is to let it rest after you make the dough and gather it into a ball.

Crisco and lard make the best textured crusts. And lard crusts taste pretty good too. The good thing about butter is that it melts in your mouth. Lard and crisco don't.

One thing I learned in restaurant school was how to make a "quick" pastry dough. You make pate brisee and then roll it out into a rectangle. Fold the rectangle ends into the center in thirds, and then roll out into another rectangle. Do that one or two more times and then make your crust. It flakes up like puff pastry because you make layers of butter and flower. Even some experts can't tell the difference between quick and real puff pastry. (The real stuff is a pain to make!)