GRILLED SALMON, ALASKA STYLE

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
falvegas

Post by falvegas » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:58 am

This is a simple recipe. The Honey/Butter crystalizes a crust over the salmon keeping it moist. As most Fish, grilling them is not easy. I first had this recipe with King Salmon in Alaska. Huge chunks were in a large Barrel filled with Honey, Butter, Lemon & Dill.

Ingredients
* 3 to 4 Lbs. Salmon Filet, fresh, pin bones removed, patted dry, Cut into 4 inch chunks [Me, I would leave the skin on one side...but your preference].
* Equal Parts Honey & Butter; say 1/4 Cup Honey, 1/4 Cup Butter, unsalted, melted.
* 2 tsp. dry Dill or chopped fresh, or to taste.
1-1/2 Lemons, juice from, plus grated rind or just enough to balance
1/2 tsp. White Pepper.

Procedure
**Combine and mix, Honey, Butter, Lemon, Rind, Dill, Pepper in a sauce pan and Heat for a minute or two.
** Spread over Salmon in a dish and refrigerate for about 1/2 to 1 hour.
** Grill on a very Hot [very Clean & well Oiled] grate for 2 to 3 minutes. Turn [very carefully] and Grill on other side until just beyond translucent.

Remove and serve with Grilled Corn, and/or Grilled Asparagus
I've also done this Recipe Southwestern using powdered Chipotle instead of Dill, and served with Avacado Butter w/Corn Sticks and an Avocado & Corn Salsa.

Note: Fish is difficult to grill, can easily stick, fall apart, especially with caramelized honey. It is imperative the Grill be ultra clean, well oiled, and the Spatula close to the same width as the Fish. Try One Filet first to be sure. IF NOT, if in doubt, punch a bunch of holes in some well oiled HD Aluminum Foil, oil and grill on that right on the grate.