PEPPER STEAK SANDWICHES

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
falvegas

PEPPER STEAK SANDWICHES

Post by falvegas » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:33 am

PEPPER STEAK SANDWICH
Easy and Useful for Outside Parties and BBQ’s, New England Beach Food.

INGREDIENTS:
1.5 Lbs Angus Sirloin Steak, [about ¾ inch to 1 inch thick]
3 Red Bell Peppers [cored seeded and cut into 1-Inch pieces]
1-Serrano Chili, cored, seeded & chopped fine [Optional]
3-Tbs Cracked or Smashed Multi-Color Peppercorns [plus some for dusting]. .
3-Tbs. Cooking Oil.
1-Tbs. Bacon Fat.
¼-Cup Chicken Stock [Optional]
Salt to Taste
1- Package Sandwich Rolls [Like Sarah Lee, Country French, 6 to a pack or equivalent]

PROCEDURE:
** Dry Steak w/paper towels, brush lightly with 1-Tbs Cooking Oil. Season w/Salt & Pepper.
** Sear Steak [very high heat] ~ 1.5 to 2.0 minutes per side. OR Grill on BBQ rotating once each side. Place in Freezer until ‘Firm’ but not Frozen.
** Heat Skillet w/2-Tbs Cooking Oil and Bacon Fat, and Sauté Bell Peppers [and optional Serrano] until Al Dente. Half way through Dust peppers with 2-Tbs Cracked Peppercorns, and a dusting of Salt.
** Remove Steak from Freezer and trim off Fat. Slice Steak [against the grain] into thin pieces and dust lightly with Salt & pepper to taste. [can be done in advance]
** Add Steak to Pan with Peppers and Sauté, mixing well for 2 minutes.
** Add Chicken Stock and Sauté another 2 minutes or so until Liquid is slightly reduced and incorporated into the Steak.

Make Sandwiches

Oh Ya, you can add mushrooms and melt some jack cheese over them but now it’s getting closer to a Philly Steak. This is New England Beach Food., portable street vendors who whipped up Fried Clams, Lobster Sandwiches and Pepper Steak Sandwiches.
Last edited by falvegas on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

trailboss

Re: {PEPPER STEAK SANDWICHES

Post by trailboss » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:53 am

Looks tasty, and definitely worth a try...thanks for posting.

The wife's will have to be easy on the peppercorns though...one of the things she isn't suppose to consume...

I'll just double up on mine! :mrgreen:

Fry's supermarket (Kroger) just had USDA Choice ribeye for $4.77 per lb, I grilled some steaks and made steak sandwiches on crusty baguettes with horseradish mayo and sauteed mushrooms...man, o Man! :dinner:

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:37 am

Leave the Peppercorns out.
The definition of Pepper Steak is really 'With Bell Peppers'.

You can season it as you wish e.g. Paprika, Coriander etc.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:00 am

I don't understand why Angus beef is the beef of choice. :headscratch: Angus cattle produce fatty meat. I bought half of one from a friend's brother once and 1/3 of the roasts were fat. :puke: My dad raised Herefords and that meat seems much better to me.

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:52 am

Fat = juicy.

I was reading up on hamburger making and learned that 20% fat ground chuck makes the best burger meat.

My tests confirm that the 20% fat meat does make a juicier burger.

trailboss

Post by trailboss » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:40 am

tattulip wrote:I don't understand why Angus beef is the beef of choice. :headscratch: Angus cattle produce fatty meat. I bought half of one from a friend's brother once and 1/3 of the roasts were fat. :puke: My dad raised Herefords and that meat seems much better to me.
The breed itself does produce some great tasting meat, but that is only partially the story...Certified Angus Beef® is a pretty stringent grading process that consistently gives awesome results:

http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/brand/specs.php

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:51 am

trailboss wrote:
tattulip wrote:I don't understand why Angus beef is the beef of choice. :headscratch: Angus cattle produce fatty meat. I bought half of one from a friend's brother once and 1/3 of the roasts were fat. :puke: My dad raised Herefords and that meat seems much better to me.
The breed itself does produce some great tasting meat, but that is only partially the story...Certified Angus Beef® is a pretty stringent grading process that consistently gives awesome results:

http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/brand/specs.php

Yes, but just about any beef cattle breed can meet those standards.

Dairy cows are leeean. We had one that went down (her legs gave out) and once they do that, they never walk again. We had her made into hamburger. That stuff was so lean you couldn't fry it without putting oil in the pan first. :shock:
Superior muscling (restricts influence of dairy cattle)
What I think the deal with Angus is, is that the Angus producers have done a good job of promoting their breed. When I see Angus beef on the menu it means nothing to me, in fact I shy away from it. It's all about promotion.

The same thing is happening now with a breed of hog. I forget the name, but restaurants are asking for this particular breed and promoting it as being better then the others. It's not.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:02 am

I've made this with Tenderloin.
But, you can use any beef you want however a well marbled beef is going to mean flavor and tenderness. I can get Angus Steak on sale for $3/ Lb.

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:04 am

Fatherducque wrote:Fat = juicy.

I was reading up on hamburger making and learned that 20% fat ground chuck makes the best burger meat.

My tests confirm that the 20% fat meat does make a juicier burger.

Yup, chuck makes the best hamburger.
Great when you grind it yourself ...at least then I know what is being ground.

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:06 pm

trailboss wrote:Looks tasty, and definitely worth a try...thanks for posting.

The wife's will have to be easy on the peppercorns though...one of the things she isn't suppose to consume...

I'll just double up on mine! :mrgreen:

Fry's supermarket (Kroger) just had USDA Choice ribeye for $4.77 per lb, I grilled some steaks and made steak sandwiches on crusty baguettes with horseradish mayo and sauteed mushrooms...man, o Man! :dinner:
Can you Fed-Ex me one? :drool: