Do you guys brine your turkey?

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
trailboss

Do you guys brine your turkey?

Post by trailboss » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:02 pm

I have always had pretty good success at cooking my turkeys, typically I smoke them on my BBQ with a wood fire supplemented by charcoal.
Last year I brined my turkey for 24 hours and the results were out of this were awesome, pretty much everyone said it was the best turkey they ever had. I felt sorry for my son-in-laws father, he cooked a turkey for a shared thanksgiving, and hardly anyone touched his....

FWIW, the brine recipe I followed has the caveat:
http://savorysweetlife.com/2010/11/how- ... -a-turkey/
*It’s important to reiterate not to use a self basting, pre-seasoned, or kosher turkey. Otherwise the turkey will be too salty.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Re: Do you guys brine your turkey?

Post by tattulip » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:29 pm

No. I tried it one year. LOTS of work and not worth the effort IMO.

Fatherducque

Post by Fatherducque » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:25 pm

It is likely the cooking in the smoker that caused the good result. When I cook the turkey in my smoker, it goes before any of the other turkeys at "the gathering of the clan".

This year the clan has requested slow-cooked pork shoulder. Maybe so their turkey will get some attention! ;)

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:32 pm

I notice a BIG difference with brined turkeys. The meat always comes out much juicier. My sister actually thinks it comes out too good - almost like it's store-bought or something. I used a combination of chicken stock and vegetable stock one year - came out great.

The only thing I would not do again is deep fry a turkey. We tried it - once. If I hadn't known, I would not have been able to tell the difference between deep fried and roasted. I was expecting more of a deep fried flavor, but I couldn't tell.

trailboss

Post by trailboss » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:02 am

tattulip wrote:No. I tried it one year. LOTS of work and not worth the effort IMO.
You need to delegate responsibilities, it lightens the workload... :mrgreen:
Seriously, I found the brine to be pretty easy.

trailboss

Post by trailboss » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:10 am

Fatherducque wrote:It is likely the cooking in the smoker that caused the good result. When I cook the turkey in my smoker, it goes before any of the other turkeys at "the gathering of the clan".

This year the clan has requested slow-cooked pork shoulder. Maybe so their turkey will get some attention! ;)
StarryNightDave wrote:The only thing I would not do again is deep fry a turkey. We tried it - once. If I hadn't known, I would not have been able to tell the difference between deep fried and roasted. I was expecting more of a deep fried flavor, but I couldn't tell.
A properly smoked turkey...I honestly don't know how a conventional baked or deep fried could ever compete...I don't mean to sound snobbish, but that's just the way it is!
I tried the renown Mr. Brown pork butt, once it was served everyone turned into a pack of wolves...I never saw a 10 pound
piece of smoked pork disappear so quickly.

http://www.homebbq.com/index.php/archives/19