Grandma Ople's Apple Pie

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
StarryNightDave
Mentative

Grandma Ople's Apple Pie

Post by StarryNightDave » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:13 pm

If you love apple pie, you have to try this recipe.

This isn't the pie I made, but it looks pretty close.

I just made this for a party yesterday and it was fantastic!!!!!!!!

This recipe has over 4,000 reviews - and most of them give it 5 out of 5 stars. The difference with this pie is that you make a butter and sugar syrup to pour over the pie instead of mixing the apples in sugar and flour.

Make sure you follow the link and read a lot of the comments. I took some of the suggestions and added 1 tea spoon of cinnamon, 1/2 tea spoon of nutmeg, and a tea spoon of vanilla into the syrup. I may leave out the vanilla, but I"m keeping the spices.

And I also followed many of the people who suggested pouring 2 thirds of the syrup over the apples first - and then putting on the lattice top. The original instructions say to put the apples in the pie - with nothing on them - then put the lattice on top. The syrup is then poured through the lattice. But adding 2 thirds of the syrup over the apples first works better.

Some people thought that using all Granny Smith apples was too tart. I think they were right. I didn't mind the taste, but many people commented on how tart the pie was. Maybe a mix of apples would work better?

Apple Pie by Grandma Ople

Ingredients

1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
8 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced

Directions

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.
Place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Cover with a lattice work crust. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.
Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft.

Oh - and many people recommended this crust recipe for the pie.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Re: Grandma Ople's Apple Pie

Post by tattulip » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:51 pm

Aren't Jonathon apples sweeter then Granny Smith? That's what I usually use when I bake pies and crisps.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:12 pm

tattulip wrote:Aren't Jonathon apples sweeter then Granny Smith? That's what I usually use when I bake pies and crisps.
Yes, but I've also had luck with golden delicious. I think a mix with just one granny smith might work.

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:56 am

StarryNightDave wrote:If you love apple pie, you have to try this recipe.

This isn't the pie I made, but it looks pretty close.

I just made this for a party yesterday and it was fantastic!!!!!!!!

This recipe has over 4,000 reviews - and most of them give it 5 out of 5 stars. The difference with this pie is that you make a butter and sugar syrup to pour over the pie instead of mixing the apples in sugar and flour.

Make sure you follow the link and read a lot of the comments. I took some of the suggestions and added 1 tea spoon of cinnamon, 1/2 tea spoon of nutmeg, and a tea spoon of vanilla into the syrup. I may leave out the vanilla, but I"m keeping the spices.

And I also followed many of the people who suggested pouring 2 thirds of the syrup over the apples first - and then putting on the lattice top. The original instructions say to put the apples in the pie - with nothing on them - then put the lattice on top. The syrup is then poured through the lattice. But adding 2 thirds of the syrup over the apples first works better.

Some people thought that using all Granny Smith apples was too tart. I think they were right. I didn't mind the taste, but many people commented on how tart the pie was. Maybe a mix of apples would work better?

Apple Pie by Grandma Ople

Ingredients

1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
8 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced

Directions

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.
Place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Cover with a lattice work crust. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.
Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft.

Oh - and many people recommended this crust recipe for the pie.
Anything with brown sugar sounds good to me. Now I will have to go to the library to print it out as the computer at the apartment complex doesn't have a working one. :grrr:

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:48 am

iamlookingup wrote::drool: Maybe I'll bake this for Thanksgiving. :hmm:

Could I make it ahead of time? :dunno:
Sure - pies keep for several days. But they are better fresh. :yes: You may be able to freeze them.