15 bean soup

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
BeeAre

15 bean soup

Post by BeeAre » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:34 am

I made this again last night and it is good. 1 pound bag of dried beans available at any grocery. I don't know if there are 15 different styles of beans in the bag, I've never counted. I soak them overnight to rehydrate. Get out the cast iron dutch oven and start to heat. Chopped up an onion, some green and red peppers, carrots and celery. Saute veg (I add a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice to retain the colors of the veg). One tablespoon, or a little more, of dried challots, plus one tablespoon, or a little more, of dried garlic, and the beans into the pot. A quart and a little more of chicken broth (cover the beans by an inch) and a ham hock go into the pot next. bring to a boil and then turn the heat down and simmer for a couple hours. Cut up a ring of smoked kielbasa about an hour into the simmer and add it to the pot. Check the fluid level and continue the simmer. Near the end I take out a cup of the beans and mash them with a fork and add them back into the soup. The mashed beans thicken the soup some. I baked bread yesterday so we had bread and butter with the soup. Good food.

Barry

Craig1974

Re: 15 bean soup

Post by Craig1974 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:37 am

Sounds really good.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Re: 15 bean soup

Post by tattulip » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:28 pm

I make something like that too and I love it! I don't add any veggies except onions. I add stewed tomatoes and cajun seasonings.