King Arthur Flour Brownie Recipe (with espresso powder)

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
StarryNightDave
Mentative

King Arthur Flour Brownie Recipe (with espresso powder)

Post by StarryNightDave » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:58 pm

I've been told that these "are the best!" So, I may try making them this week.

Fudge Brownies

Fudgy, cakey, fudgy, cakey... can't make up your mind? If you're looking for a brownie that's right in between those two styles, you've found it. These brownies combine a fudge brownie's ultra-moist texture with a subtle cake-like rise, for the best of both worlds.

Our guarantee: These brownies, deep chocolate brown inside with a lighter-colored top crust, will be about 3/4" to 1" tall when cut. They'll be ultra-moist without crossing the line into gooey/underbaked.

Ingredients

* 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
* 2 1/4 cups sugar
* 4 large eggs
* 1 1/4 cups Double-Dutch Dark Cocoa or Dutch-process cocoa
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon espresso powder
* 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
* 1 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
* 2 cups chocolate chips

1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9" x 13" pan

2) In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, or in a saucepan set over low heat, melt the butter, then add the sugar and stir to combine. Return the mixture to the heat (or microwave) briefly, just until it's hot (about 110°F to 120°F), but not bubbling; it'll become shiny looking as you stir it. Heating this mixture a second time will dissolve more of the sugar, which will yield a shiny top crust on your brownies.

3) While the sugar heats a second time, crack the 4 eggs into a bowl, and beat them with the cocoa, salt, baking powder, espresso powder, and vanilla till smooth.

4) Add the hot butter/sugar mixture, stirring until smooth.

5) Add the flour and chips, again stirring until smooth. Note: If you want the chips to remain intact in the baked brownies, rather than melting in, let the batter cool in the bowl for about 20 minutes before stirring in the chips.

6) Spoon the batter into a lightly greased 9" x 13" pan.

7) Bake the brownies for about 30 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, or with just a few moist crumbs clinging to it. The brownies should feel set on the edges, and the center should look very moist, but not uncooked. Remove them from the oven and cool on a rack before cutting and serving.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Re: King Arthur Flour Brownie Recipe (with espresso powder)

Post by StarryNightDave » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:41 pm

OK - this recipe has a BIG mistake in it.

They tell you to mix 4 eggs with 1 1/4 cup of cocoa powder and beat till smooth. Ha! Can't do it. Not enough liquid in the eggs. I got an awful pasty mess that I dumped into the hot butter/sugar mixture. That saved it.

Most every other recipe I have says to melt the butter and sugar, and then beat in the eggs one at a time. I think this would have been better that way. So, if I make this again, I would . . .

Melt the butter - then add the sugar and cocoa powder. Stir till combined. Then, add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. After the eggs, add the vanilla.

I would then mix all remaining dry ingredients together and add them with the chips at the end.

:yes:

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:31 pm

Hey Dave, do you have King Arthur in a bag?

You better let him out before he suffocates :teehee:

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:54 am

:shakehead: :lol:

BTW - these turned out GREAT!!!!

But, my new puppy - Mattie - decided she liked them too.

:shakehead: I had to throw out over half of the brownies because she licked the entire pan.

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:15 am

abbi wrote:Hey Dave, do you have King Arthur in a bag?

You better let him out before he suffocates :teehee:
When I was a kid, we used to call people on the phone and ask that. Then we would hang up. But that was before caller ID. :lol:

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:10 pm

I thought it was Prince Albert in a can - they made Prince Albert tobacco.

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:12 pm

StarryNightDave wrote:I thought it was Prince Albert in a can - they made Prince Albert tobacco.
I realized as soon as I posted it that it was Prince Albert, but I was too lazy to correct it. :lol:

Margie

Post by Margie » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:40 pm

I have a very similar K.A. recipe that has you add the eggs to the mixture along with the cocoa, salt, baking powder, espresso powder, and vanilla, just before the flour and chips.

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups light brown sugar
3/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon espresso powder, optional but recommended (I leave out the espresso powder)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour, organic preferred (You could use all-purpose flour.)
2 cups semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips (I use 1 cup semisweet and 1 cup 60% cacao chips.)

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9" x 13" pan; line the pan with parchment paper if desired.

2. In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, or in a saucepan set over low heat, melt the butter, then add the sugar and stir to combine.

3. Return the mixture to the heat (or microwave) briefly just till it's hot (about 110°F to 120°F) but not bubbling. Don't worry if it separates; just stir it briefly to recombine a bit. Heating this mixture a second time will dissolve more of the sugar, which will yield a shiny top crust on your brownies.

4. Transfer the mixture to a bowl, and stir in the cocoa, salt, baking powder, espresso powder if using, and vanilla.

5. Add the eggs, stirring till smooth.

6. Then add the flour and chips, again stirring till smooth. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.

7. Bake the brownies for 30 minutes, until a cake tester or sharp knife poked into the center reveals wet crumbs, but not raw batter. The brownies should feel set on the edges and in the center. Remove them from the oven, and cool completely on a rack.

8. Cover and let sit overnight before cutting and serving; this gives the bran a chance to soften and become "invisible" in your mouth.

Yield: 2 dozen 2" brownies.

*Instead of 2 cups light brown sugar and 3/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa - I use 1 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1 1/2 cups Ghirardelli Sweet Ground Chocolate & Cocoa

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:37 am

I"ll have to try that one - thanks!

Margie

Post by Margie » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:28 am

I found my recipe that is exactly the same as the one up top that Dave posted. I just made these brownies and didn't have a problem mixing the cocoa powder with the 4 eggs, salt, baking powder and vanilla. I leave out the 1 tsp espresso powder but it doesn't seem like it would make that much difference in the consistency. Did you use a mixer?
:dunno:
This time I did substitute Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa for the Dutch processed (alkalinized). For each ounce of cocoa called for in the recipe (3 3/4), you use 3 tablespoons of cocoa plus 1/8 tsp baking soda.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Sun May 19, 2013 8:11 pm

Think I'll try these again. They should turn out better than those freakin donuts! :lol:

trailboss

Post by trailboss » Sun May 19, 2013 9:48 pm

Duderoosky.....Brownie perfection is past tense.

http://www.preparedpantry.com/Recipes/G ... ownies.htm