Wegman's Meatloaf - They gave me the recipe!!!!

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
StarryNightDave
Mentative

Wegman's Meatloaf - They gave me the recipe!!!!

Post by StarryNightDave » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:25 pm

I don't know if you have ever had the pleasure of Wegman's meatloaf, but I assure you it is especially good! And, I happened to tell the woman behind the counter that today and she told me how they make it.

Turns out that the special ingredient is their Wegman's Basting Oil. They sell this garlic and herb infused oil. I never really knew what it was for. But, she told me how they use it. The ingredients are quite simple and the results are wonderful!

I'm sure you could substitute other garlic infused oils and get similar results.

Here is what I made for dinner tonight . . .

2 lbs 80/20 ground beef. (20% fat content)
approx. 1 cup of Panko bread crumbs
2 eggs
just a little less than 1/4 cup of the Wegman's basting oil
1/2 cup of grated onion
Salt and Pepper to taste

They also add "somebody's" Kentucky BBQ sauce, but it was fantastic without this. I think they just add it on top about 10 minutes before it's done.

Mix all the ingredients together and pack them loosely into a loaf shape. Place in a larger baking dish so there is room for fat to escape. Cook for about 50 minutes at 375 degrees. Interior temperature should reach about 165.

I think this is also the mixture they use for their sliders and hamburgers, which are also fantastic. They make cheddar and bacon burgers that are amazing!

ConsrvYank1
The DLH specializing in Broken Kneecaps

Re: Wegman's Meatloaf - They gave me the recipe!!!!

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:01 am

StarryNightDave wrote:I don't know if you have ever had the pleasure of Wegman's meatloaf, but I assure you it is especially good! And, I happened to tell the woman behind the counter that today and she told me how they make it.

Turns out that the special ingredient is their Wegman's Basting Oil. They sell this garlic and herb infused oil. I never really knew what it was for. But, she told me how they use it. The ingredients are quite simple and the results are wonderful!

I'm sure you could substitute other garlic infused oils and get similar results.

Here is what I made for dinner tonight . . .

2 lbs 80/20 ground beef. (20% fat content)
approx. 1 cup of Panko bread crumbs
2 eggs
just a little less than 1/4 cup of the Wegman's basting oil
1/2 cup of grated onion
Salt and Pepper to taste

They also add "somebody's" Kentucky BBQ sauce, but it was fantastic without this. I think they just add it on top about 10 minutes before it's done.

Mix all the ingredients together and pack them loosely into a loaf shape. Place in a larger baking dish so there is room for fat to escape. Cook for about 50 minutes at 375 degrees. Interior temperature should reach about 165.

I think this is also the mixture they use for their sliders and hamburgers, which are also fantastic. They make cheddar and bacon burgers that are amazing!
Are the breadcrumbs plain or flavored?

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:36 am

Plain - like this.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:31 am

iamlookingup wrote:I can't wait to try this, Dave!

Is there a need to buy the Panko crumbs, or will any bread crumbs do?
Link re: basting oil.
... on their [Wegman's] website, I did a search for "oil" and came up with their recipe for basting oil, which is olive oil with garlic, thyme and rosemary. There were a couple of other variations...
Apparently, they have recipes on their website!
Meatloaf. :drool:

I'm gonna make this tonight: Chicken.

There is a big difference between regular and Panko breadcrumbs.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:18 am

ConsrvYank1 wrote:
Yes! The Panko crumbs are different. I think they have rice in them, or something. I know for breading for deep frying they may exceptional crusts that are very crunchy and a little chewey. They don't cost all that much - being just crumbs.

And, i didn't realize they had the recipe on their website. I used half as many eggs and Panko and it still turned out great.

I think the real secret is the basting oil. You could probably use any bread crumbs as long as you used that oil.

The kitchen smelled wonderful while it was in the oven.

ConsrvYank1

Post by ConsrvYank1 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:47 pm

StarryNightDave wrote:
ConsrvYank1 wrote:
Yes! The Panko crumbs are different. I think they have rice in them, or something. I know for breading for deep frying they may exceptional crusts that are very crunchy and a little chewey. They don't cost all that much - being just crumbs.

And, i didn't realize they had the recipe on their website. I used half as many eggs and Panko and it still turned out great.

I think the real secret is the basting oil. You could probably use any bread crumbs as long as you used that oil.

The kitchen smelled wonderful while it was in the oven.
Actually the difference is that Panko is made with no crust and the regular breadcrumbs are. Which I found rather strange since the Panko makes things much crunchier like you said. You would think the crusts would do that. :dunno: But there are some things you shouldn't use Panko for. I tried them when I made baked stuffed shrimp one day, and I didn't care for it. Maybe there are some things that don't taste so great when they are crunchy.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:34 pm

I think they are best for deep frying. In meatloaf, I don't think it matters all that much.

Anyway, I'm going to try that basting oil for meatballs next. :yes:

Charybdis
I was "Tea Party" before it became fashionable

Post by Charybdis » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:24 am

I have 88/12 hamburger. Is there anything I can do to still make it come out right? Such as add some cooking oil to the pan or something? I don't want it to be too dry.

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:35 pm

Charybdis wrote:I have 88/12 hamburger. Is there anything I can do to still make it come out right? Such as add some cooking oil to the pan or something? I don't want it to be too dry.
You can add olive oil to the meat when you're mixing the ingredients up.

Charybdis

Post by Charybdis » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:00 pm

abbi wrote:
Charybdis wrote:I have 88/12 hamburger. Is there anything I can do to still make it come out right? Such as add some cooking oil to the pan or something? I don't want it to be too dry.
How much, do you think?

And can the Wegman's Basting Oil be found in any grocery store? Remember, we're on the West Coast.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:36 pm

Charybdis wrote:
abbi wrote:
How much, do you think?

And can the Wegman's Basting Oil be found in any grocery store? Remember, we're on the West Coast.
I think you can substitute a garlic-infused olive oil for their basting oil.

For 2 pounds of meat she said to use just slightly less than 1/4 cup.

Charybdis

Post by Charybdis » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:44 pm

StarryNightDave wrote:
Charybdis wrote:
abbi wrote:
How much, do you think?

So with the leaner meat, should I just use a straight 1/4 cup then, or should I use a bit more?

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:37 pm

Charybdis wrote:
StarryNightDave wrote:
Charybdis wrote:
abbi wrote:
How much, do you think?

So with the leaner meat, should I just use a straight 1/4 cup then, or should I use a bit more?
Keep in mind that the garlic oil is flavored so the more you use the more flavor from the oil you'll get. I would use a 1/4 cup of the garlic oil and if you feel that the meat isn't moist enough add plain olive oil until the texture of the meat feels moist. You should be able to tell when you are mixing the meatloaf ingredients together. I don't think you will need that much extra oil for the meat you are using. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I usually use 85/15 for my meatballs but my beef farmer friend gave me 93/7 and I added maybe just under a 1/4 cup of olive oil to it and they turned out great. Of course I also add water no matter what meat I use.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:50 pm

So, here is their list of ingredients.

1 lb Wegmans 80% Lean Ground Beef
2 Wegmans Large Eggs
1/2 cup Food You Feel Good About Cleaned & Cut Chopped Onions
2 Tbsp Wegmans Basting Oil
4 1/2 Tbsp Wegmans Memphis Style BBQ Sauce, divided
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 1/4 cups Wegmans Panko Bread Crumbs (Grocery Dept)
1 pkg (11 oz) Food You Feel Good About Beef Culinary Gravy (Grocery Dept), warmed

You'll Need: Rimmed baking sheet
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

1. Combine beef, eggs, onion, basting oil, 2 1/2 Tbsp BBQ sauce, salt, and pepper in large bowl. Add panko crumbs. With clean hands, combine beef mixture well and form into loaf shape. Center on baking sheet.

2. Bake 30 min; remove from oven and top with remaining 2 Tbsp BBQ sauce. Return to oven. Bake 25-30 min or until internal temp reaches 160 degrees. (Check by inserting thermometer halfway into thickest part of meat.) Serve with warmed gravy.

Chef Tip(s):
Meatloaf freezes beautifully -- slice it first and take it along for work lunches. Some people will tell you they make meatloaf just for the leftovers! Warmed with gravy or cold with ketchup -- everyone has a favorite.

Just remove the word "Wegmans" and you can shop at any store. :thumbsup: :yes: :arms: And, I actually cut my own onion! Then, I shredded it using a cheese grater. Makes the onion pieces very tiny and spreads the flavor better - I think.

I also didn't use the BBQ sauce, but it would be good I'm sure.