Cucumbers

Our Permanent Collection of CC Member's Favorite Recipes....
Charybdis
I was "Tea Party" before it became fashionable

Cucumbers

Post by Charybdis » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:09 pm

I don't like them. But I know someone who does, except they can't eat them raw. If they are cooked, does that change the flavor much?

If not, what's the best way to cook them so they can be eaten on a sandwich?

SuzyQcsu

Re: Cucumbers

Post by SuzyQcsu » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:42 pm

Due to my mom's illness she can no longer eat raw veggies. She has to cook everything. I was going to make cucumber tea sandwiches for a surprise lunch I am making her but then I remembered about her diet restrictions. Cooking a cucumber sounded like cooking a watermelon so ....hench I asked Char to post the quesiton..didn't know he was going to be so secretive ....lol.

Any thoughts on baking the cuc or should I just slice then and saute them....what should I saute them in if I am going to add cream cheese to them later??

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:53 pm

Would just blanching them be cooked enough for her?

Pickles are cooked cucumbers. Substitute a mild pickle? :dunno:

SuzyQcsu

Post by SuzyQcsu » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:58 pm

I honestly don't know. I think it needs to be soft....for example - she now bakes her carrots. She can't eat raw fruits either.

tattulip
Meum cerebrum nocet
Location: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” Tolkien

Post by tattulip » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:05 pm

I guess I would bake instead of saute' .... they would keep their shape better. Maybe make the slices thicker then usual.

abbi
Lunch Lady in Training

Post by abbi » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:47 am

SuzyQcsu wrote:Due to my mom's illness she can no longer eat raw veggies. She has to cook everything. I was going to make cucumber tea sandwiches for a surprise lunch I am making her but then I remembered about her diet restrictions. Cooking a cucumber sounded like cooking a watermelon so ....hench I asked Char to post the quesiton..didn't know he was going to be so secretive ....lol.

Any thoughts on baking the cuc or should I just slice then and saute them....what should I saute them in if I am going to add cream cheese to them later??
I would saute them as minimally as you can to make them safe for her to eat. I would use extra virgin olive oil and a little bit of dill. They should hold their shape if you don't cook them too long. Let them cool completely and then make the tea sandwiches. They should be good that way. I have a recipe I can post later if you want it.

StarryNightDave
Mentative

Post by StarryNightDave » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:34 pm

falvegas

Post by falvegas » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:08 pm

Only time I've ever cooked cucumbers is 'very lightly' sauteed in an Asian stle salad, with sesame, ginger, soy and a few other things...can't remember.

Most of the time these days I use only English ot Asian Cucumbers, almost always cold in salads, soups, with fish or as a garnish.

One thought is to use them with other vegies, like say Asparagus in a pureed Soup.